Boa comparison to retic. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Whenever I read news reports of keepers getting their entire collections confiscated and sent to the "humane" society (probably to die) because some vindictive neighbor saw a technically illegal animal through the window I shudder. I'd be nervous about a knock on my door from the animal control folks.

It is really good that you're so happy with boas. I've never kept one (just a bit big for my tastes) but they sound like lovely snakes.
Good thing is, I have no neighbors!! And many acres. There’s 5 house on my 4 mile rd. 2 ive known since I was about 20. 2 are family and known my whole life.
So it would have been fine. You’d have to be in a helicopter to see into my back yard. Or google earth. And I wasn’t 100% sure I would have bought. Now my other house is different. And the one bad neighbor we had did call the cops on me for being outside with my 9’ coral girl. Obviously nothing happened.
And none of us are perfect and follow all laws!! So I would be willing to break this minor bs law if I really wanted a retic. Why not? Cops or animal control don’t scare me or make me nervous. It’s a minor infraction. No issues with the btm yet. Lol.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #12
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
I would be willing to break this minor bs law if I really wanted a retic. Why not? Cops or animal control don’t scare me or make me nervous. It’s a minor infraction. No issues with the btm yet. Lol.
It's a minor infraction for you and usually a death sentence for the animal because you're not given the opportunity to take the animal out of state to someone who can legally keep it.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #13
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
And none of us are perfect and follow all laws!!
Agreed. It's just too bad that some laws motivate other people to call the cops out of fear or hatred or ignorance or whatever.

Sounds like you have a nice place. I like country life, too.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #14
JColt
Pretty much like everyone has said. All animals have own personalities. I have female boa that has a feeding response that could put a lot of Retics to shame, lol. Sweet as pie when she knows she's not eating though. One of my retics you can open door and once he knows he's not eating he will glide out and drape himself on me. Another once has huge feeding response then cage aggressive then flighty once out of cage. My 3rd retic has a neuro problem and you need the longest tongs you can find to feed or she'll tag you and hold!

Old 03-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #15
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Agreed. It's just too bad that some laws motivate other people to call the cops out of fear or hatred or ignorance or whatever.

Sounds like you have a nice place. I like country life, too.
We like it. I have a trout stream running through my property. It’s only a 7 mile small stream, ‘3’ wide” but every once in awhile I catch a 20” brown. A buddy’s mom caught a 24” brown back in the 80’s. Biggest I know of out of it.
At our age, country living is perfect. Our other house is in the city. It has its perks. Like food delivery. Lol. But as many gun owners know, having land is nice for shooting daily without interference from local police. And honestly, they like us down here in our little valley.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #16
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
It's a minor infraction for you and usually a death sentence for the animal because you're not given the opportunity to take the animal out of state to someone who can legally keep it.
As stated, I know the lady who gets all illegal animals in Albany county. And she’s a good friend. I’ve hooked her up with albinos and sunglows for her rducation classes. She’s the only Nys certified animal rescue here in our county. She’s brought in any situation she’s needed. So if I did decide to illegally own one, it would be safe. If they came to take it. And I’m pretty sure tgat Dec is not coming for me and 1-2 illegal animals. If they wanted to do anything, they can bust people all day long on cl selling retics and burns. But they don’t push that. Even in NYC they seem to not spend time trying to rid all the illegal animals owned bred and sold in cl.
But we don’t need to worry about that anyways, I’m not getting one. Only because of their nasty elimination process. Lol. My boas clean up nicely. Only the urates are like dried clay.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #17
bcr229
To be fair the glass door decorated with urate was unusual enough that it was worth a picture. It's more typical to have to clean up a pile of crap that a small pony may have left behind.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #18
WebSlave
You should see the mess made when you have two fair sized Burmese in a large cage and one of them regurgitates a rabbit and they BOTH crawl all through it. I had to crawl around inside the cage to clean it. After that, I lost all interest in keeping big snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!