Force-Feeding Issue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Venomous Snakes

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
Beyond the Web
Force-Feeding Issue

I am still trying to find my way through this forum, I hope this is the correct forum for my issue in question.

I have a WC '04 C. cerastes (spelling?), I don't have a scale however, it was a healthy one at decent weight just by observation. Over the past 4 weeks it has refused all feeders, I am under the assumption it prefers lizards (no surprise there as it is WC), and just today, I noticed its health diminishing. He seems to be getting underweight, it will only strike but won't eat.

I decided to get him something smaller, like newborn pinkies, well, it was ignored. I had to do what was best for the animal, and proceeded to attempt force feeding. I attempted 3 times, it rejected it 3x! I've done this task before, and it always worked out for me. Seems like I may have to get a pinky pump instead, but, I really don't want to liquify the pinkie myself. Is there any company available out there that produces liquified rodents (or other feeding substances) to use in a syringe-like device for force-feeding?
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 AM   #2
Canyon State
i dont know of any companies out there that provide already pressed foods but have you made sure that the habitat is sufice, like heating, cooling, hide boxes all of the norm and whats the common name on your snake? i might be more help but im really bad with latins.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88reptiles
i dont know of any companies out there that provide already pressed foods but have you made sure that the habitat is sufice, like heating, cooling, hide boxes all of the norm and whats the common name on your snake? i might be more help but im really bad with latins.
Sidewinder if I'm not mistaken.

I'd try either lizard scented or try a lizard. Like you had said they are prone to eating lizards in the wild.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
Canyon State
Another thing you can try that has never once failded me is take a larger fuzzy and dip it in tuna juice and wave it in his face until he takes. ive done this with all speices of snakes. and its worked every time. but if that doesnt work try catching a 4 lined whiptailed lizard thats what he would eat in the wild.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Beyond the Web
You're correct, it is a Desert Sidewinder. Now, I am not even sure he ate in the wild, as it seems to me it was just born at the time of capture so it may not have fed at all out there yet. Would anoles work out?
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
Canyon State
Now his habitat is good and everything right good place to hide proper heating and cooling and humidity(which should be low but still some)? another question is how long ago was he brought into captivity. if he is a new born this season then most likly you wont get him to eat until it warms up he should naturaly be going through brumation right now. so he wont eat but every so often let him brumate and give him shorter days and longer nights. and every so often you will see him come out to get water and wonder around abit at that time you should drop some food in there? you have to consider his natural settings especially if he is a fresh cuaght. and also a common misconception is that desert rattlesnakes need high heat they dont not at all i would during brumation peroids use only a 40 to 50 watt basking light and far away from his hiding spot and the water in between hiding and basking he will be ready to eat when he wants to how long is his rattle?

Old 12-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
Beyond the Web
I have a few others brumating w/o problems, I thought of just keeping this one warm along with a few other c.b. babies. He was caught early November in the Mojave Desert, and he only has 1 button on his rattle. I guess I'll have to cool him down and slowly start his brumation period.
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
Canyon State
Ya most likly he just got really stressed out form the whole deal and it has set him all off balance you know what i mean, i would just cool him and give it some time he will eat. im going through the same thing witha fresh cuaght baby western diamond back right now, he wants nothing to do with food at this time. but hey if yopur interested in rattlesnakes ive got one for sale thats pretty bad ass. its a hybrid 40% eastern diamondback 40% western diamond back and 20% south american rattlesnake hes really cool looking lot of yellow and very broad body and i also have a baby eastern diamond for sale as well. if your interested email me at canyonstatereptiles@juno.com.
hopfuly i have been some help with your side winder

Old 12-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #9
CFoley
probably

Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 AM   #10
hhmoore
You say you have noticed its health deteriorating. that is pretty nonspecific but, as a general rule, would make trying to put that snake into brumation contraindicated. a snake should be of good body weight and outwardly healthy before cooling. more details would help in guiding you. also, while there are (to my knowledge) no pre-pressed pinkies...there are always NutriCal or similar nutrient pastes.
HHMoore

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread