Kenyan Genetics ?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Balls Deep Reptiles
Kenyan Genetics ??

I have been breeding normal Kenyans for a few years but haven't read a whole lot about genetics. I bought a proven anery female who mated with one of my normal or albino males. She produced 5 babies and 7 slugs. 2 are anery and the other 3 are normal. Does this mean that the male that bred her was het anery? Also does this make the normal babies 100%Het anery?

Thanks,
JoeVerC

Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Toby_H
I cannot say this with 100% confidence in regards to Kenyans...

But Anery in regards to several other speceis is a recessive trait. This means it has to be present in the genetics of both parents to show out in offspring. Thus this would suggest that your male was het Anery.

When dealing with recessive traits, when one parent is het and the other is homo (homogenous, meaning it displays the color morph) then 100% of the offspring will be either het or homo. So your "nomrals" are actually het Anery.

I believe that since Anery is a proven recessive trait in several species, it would safely be assumed to be a recessive trait in Kenyan Sand Boas unless/until evidence suggests otherwise.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Balls Deep Reptiles
Toby, Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking, I knew that Anery was a recessive trait in redtails just wasn't too sure about the Kenyans.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
kenyan