One year anniversary of the closing of the Board Of Inquiry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation One year anniversary of the closing of the Board Of Inquiry

It was a year ago today that I closed down the BOI and I guess I am interested in feedback concerning how this impacted YOUR use, value of, and/or perception of this site.

This thread has been prompted from the number of BOI-style posts that have had to be deleted from this site, infractions that posters of said posts have incurred as a result of making such posts, and the number of emails, PMs, and comments elsewhere I have gotten concerning people asking about how they can alert other members about the predations of spammers using this site in an attempt to snare victims. MY concern is that this site could be moving in the direction of becoming an attractive haven for scammers because of the rules now in place concerning BOI style postings no longer being allowed anywhere on this site. Basically they can advertise free and clear of anyone calling them out in any manner. Honestly, I'm not sure if I am looking at a tip of an iceberg, or perhaps a molehill that I am too close to that because of my close proximity, looks like it is a mountain.

So I am soliciting feedback for opinions and observations. No, the BOI is not coming back. Nothing has changed concerning the reasons it was closed down. But is there some alternative way to keep the scammers from having their way with the unwary membership via another method? Would allowing warning-based replies to classified ads be worthwhile in this pursuit, or would it just be more headaches than it is worth? Not that I expect anything to be headache-free here, of course. But I am uncomfortable at the thought that this site could very well may have turned 180 degrees from being what was once considered a relatively safe place to do business for the membership.

So please provide some constructive input, if you can. If there is no, or very darn little, input of any kind, I will just have to assume that everything is just honky-dory here for most people and put this thought behind me, leaving well enough alone. Wouldn't be the first time that what I was thinking I was observing was not actually reality.

And please note that even though I am soliciting suggestions, not everything suggested will be practical or even possible. This is not suggesting it would be a bad idea, just that there are limits to what CAN be done here programmatically, as well as what I WANT here to be sitting on my shoulders as an implied responsibility. I am trying to help as best I can, but not looking for more work to do.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Randall Turner
I do miss the boi when I see something I'd like to work with but the seller is someone im unfamiliar with. It would be nice if the people who have had transactions with other users would use the trader rating system. If there would be a way to increase its usage, it could be a safety net for users.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
On another forum I frequent (one dealing with dart frogs) the seller-background-questions go like this: someone posts "Hey, has anyone bought anything from "John's Awesome Frogs, LLC"? How did it go?", and a mod quickly posts "PM the OP" and locks the thread. Clunky, but it works (though it is rarely used). Having those threads in an automatically-locking forum would be ideal, I think. No badmouthing on the public forums, but some people might get some info that will save them a lot of grief.

I assume you don't want anything to do with anything BOI related, but if you thought something like this might take the pressure off the mods having to ban people regularly, or might reduce the yammering over the loss of the BOI, it might be worth considering. Just a humble suggestion, and you can ignore it and not hurt my feelings.
I suggested this a while back, and I still support it. It is still clunky and infrequently used over there, but it likely has pointed a few novices in the right direction. I think that is a good thing if we want these hobbies to grow productively and benefit the hobbyists. The more people are afraid of ordering herps online because they feel powerless, the more we all lose.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
tiffanymb88
Because of the run ins with scammers and issues with buyers, I don’t feel comfortable making purchases from buyers on this site. If there were reviews or BOI posts it may make myself and other buyers more likely to use this for searching and purchasing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
tiffanymb88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanymb88 View Post
Because of the run ins with scammers and issues with buyers, I don’t feel comfortable making purchases from sellers on this site. If there were reviews or BOI posts it may make myself and other buyers more likely to use this for searching and purchasing

Old 02-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
gregtp
I not only support this but have received an infraction for attempting to provide such warning even when I could prove everything 100% I can only imagine if he was able to con more people this has happened twice on this forum I feel all this does is promote scandalous behavior as there is no way of warning others thus being penalty free to scam as much as they want this would definitely help newcomers and old timers as well as when people get scammed they tend to leave/avoid the entire sight altogether but that's my 2 cents

Old 02-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
bcr229
As long as members follow the other site rules, e.g. no disruptive posting or personal attacks, I don't see a problem with allowing members to post feedback responses on a seller's ads.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #8
DrummingT
The intolerance for discussion in the classifieds is off-putting in a big way. I was definitely shocked to get a warning for just relaying my experience with one prolific seller.

I don't think I've left a comment on the site since.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
GordonGecko
The amount of scammers on this site is the reason why I don't go on here anymore. I've never had 1 issue on MM.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #10
PaulShem
I was also very shocked and put off to get an infraction when I did and haven't been able to wrap my head around why. Why wouldn't there be a good policy for posting feedback on buyers and sellers? I fully behind the effort to create one. It is just part of what should automatically be on a site such as this. And scammers are an issue. If a policy for posting feedback on buyers and sellers could deter them in any way then it's a plus. Sure there will be headaches with those who take it too far or abuse the privilege but it's just part of a necessary aspect. It can be tweaked. There can be moderators to moderate. Please do it. For the majority who are just trying to use this site as it's meant to be used.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
board of inquiry, boi, scammers