Python puts a squeeze on her owner - Boston - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:51 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Python puts a squeeze on her owner - Boston

Another bit of wonderful sensationalized press thanks to someone who doesn't need to keep snakes. Calling the cops.... geez.
Take note of the burm in it's "cage" in the picture. A bird cage complete with perches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A Burmese python went wild yesterday, wrapping up its owner and chomping down on her wrist before a pair of cautious Boston police officers helped pry the 7-foot reptile off her body.

``Man, I didn't know snakes could bite like that,'' said the python's owner, Wanda Nunes, 43. ``It really hurt. And every time I tried to pry her off or move, she just got tighter around my leg. It was like that for 20 minutes until the police arrived. I was beginning to lose feeling in my arm.''

By the time officers Jon Harber and Philip Bliss pulled up to her Dudley Street apartment at 10:30 a.m., Nunes was on her knees with one end of ``Moma'' clamped onto her left arm and the other end in a stranglehold on her leg.

Harber and Bliss pried off the 8-pound snake and put her back in her cage.

Nunes said she had brought Moma her favorite snack - two rats - yesterday morning and was preparing to clean out her cage before letting her dine.

``She must have smelled the rats because she reached back and lunged for my arm,'' Nunes said. ``Before I knew it, she was all wrapped around me.''

Royal, Nunes' 13-year-old son, tried to pull Moma off Momma, but couldn't, so he called police.

Nunes said she bought Moma for Royal two years ago because he liked garden snakes, but since that time ownership has changed hands and now Nunes is the primary caretaker of the exotic reptile.

Aside from the snake's biting Nunes on the way home from the pet store, Moma has never been hostile, she said.

Nunes said she has no hard feelings toward her pet and won't be shy about sticking her arm out again for Moma to slither up for a walk through the neighborhood.

The snake, who loves warm baths and three rats every three weeks, is a beloved member of the family.

Nunes even asked to feed Moma the two rats before being taken to the hospital, where she was treated and released.

``The police wanted to put her down, but I begged them not to,'' Nunes said.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...articleid=3220

Old 04-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Wilomn
You're right Clay, she is just the person I want to have non-reptile keepers associate with me. Yup, for sure, you betcha.

Let's see, three rats every three weeks....... nope I don't guess that snake would have had any reason to think she was food JUST because she smelled like food and hadn't eaten in THREE weeks. Must have been a really STUPID snake.

NOT

And, if that's a seven foot 8 lb snake, I've got a twenty-five foot three hundred pound Suriname that you really need to see.

Too bad there isn't some sort of basic requirement for your snake test people have to take before they buy them.

Oh well.

Wes Pollock

Old 04-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Vince
at least the owner didnt let the police kill the snake.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 AM   #4
Uffern
...keeps it in a bird cage....

My Irian Jayas are bigger than that. And if the snake in the picture is the one mentioned int he article....... well..... what can I say about that? She couldn't get that snake off of her? *Smacks forehead* It boggles the mind.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #5
Sybella
That snake was only 8 pounds and 2 people could not get it to let go or get it off?? What is wrong with this picture?? Someone please call that woman and tell her about alcohol...my gosh!!

Old 04-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
dcboas
After viewing the photo ,good for the skake ,I mean how can she regulate heat,light,and provide an area for the snake to retire to for some solitude.A bird cage?What is she thinking,and what happens when it outgrows it environment?Just another example of someone that doesnt need to have herps.Evidently she has no idea of what the reptile deserves and needs for a better way of life.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!