Temperature Sexing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Junkyard
Temperature Sexing

Does anyone have any experience with temperature sexing? Do you think it is possible?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
Depends on what species you're talking about. It's a proven phenomenon with many species (chelonian, croc, various lizards), however it has never been observed with any snake species.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Junkyard
I have read of some crocadilians, geckos, and turtles species that are capable of being temperature sexed. I would like to know if anyone here has actually tried doing so. I do not work with a lot of retiles that lay eggs, though I do think it would be fun to try doing.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
I've done it with leopard geckos, as I'm sure everyone else here who has bred them has.
Most people who breed any of the species which exhibit TDSD have taken advantage of it by incubating the majority of the eggs for female.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Junkyard
I can see the benefit in being able to temp sex for the purpose of hatching out females. Though with the ability to do that with TDSD reptiles, is the price for females still more than males? Or is it comparatively the same?

Old 03-23-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
I can't make a blanket statement here since I don't currently work with any TDSD species and don't really keep up with the prices of them. Generally speaking I think, adult females are worth more than adult males, but with hatchlings the comparative abundance of females offsets the price difference resulting in a more even price scale.

It should be noted that TDSD is not a sure thing. Incubating at a certain temp (varies by animal type) can greatly increase the changes of producing a certain sex, but it's not guaranteed. I've never experienced it myself, but I've read many times of a so called "hot female" leopard gecko (hatched at higher temps that normally result in males), can exhibit male personality traits and be a poor breeder.
It can be very useful say when buying a group of tortoises to raise for breeding. You buy a number of them, a few from the male range and more from the female range, and you have a greater chance of raising a breeding group with a good sex ratio. Handy with a species like that which often takes quite a few years to reach sexual maturity.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!