breeding circumstances - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Robust_Beardies
Arrow breeding circumstances

We know that a male and a female should each be at least 1.5 years and 18 inches to breed. But at what age should you stop breeding them? What if they aren't bred until they are around 3 years of age or so? Is it safe to mate them at that age? Can they be bred until a later age if they started at age 3?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
clarinet45
I would say it would be flirting with danger to breed a female over 6 years and a male could maybe breed over that, as they do little work, lol. So a female should breed at 2 years, that's at leat 3-4 seasons she can be bred, as she should have everyother season off at least, especially if her egg count is high.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Rebel Dragons
I agree with some of what Sara said. Any breeding beyond the age of 6 could be pushing the limits of your female. Males can bred at older ages but they eventually lose the drive to mate and their potency. Around 1.5-2 years and sometimes earlier a female can cycle without brumating. If you notice egg production without a male having bred her it's better to put her with a male at that time. It's much easier and healthier for the females to lay fertile eggs than unfertile ones.

I do not agree with skipping every other season. Most females will cycle every season anyway, with or without a male. It is 100% fine to breed a female every year. As long as you take good care of her in the "off" season she will be ready to go again the next year without an ill side effects.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
prodigy9618
Mike, How would you notice egg production? And when if any is the average age that a female might lay infertile eggs and does anything trigger this. Thanks, Charlie

Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Rebel Dragons
The first indicator would be weight gain. Many reptiles keepers that I know are in a habit of weighing their animals on a regular basis. It's a good habit to get into because a sudden lose of weight or even a gain in weight sends up a red flag to keep an eye on that animal.

A gravid dragon at about 1.5 to 2 weeks will then start digging like crazy. More than they usually do......It's an instinctual habit in the females hardwired into their brain. Lol They know they need to start looking for a suitable place to lay their eggs.

Then around 16 days you should be able to feel the eggs in her. They will fell like small marbles. As she approaches the end of the cycle (usually 21 days on average) you can sometimes visually see the eggs in her. That depends on her size and the number of eggs in her though.

Hope that helps,

Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
Rebel Dragons
I'm speaking from my experiences here so keep in mind I'm just one of many opinions on this issue.

I have found that most females will cycle the first year with or without a male being introduced. Most females start cycling around 1.5 years. Although I have heard from another breeder that they have had females start cycling as young as 10-11 months. It really depends on the dragon and the line they come from. Some lines are more prone to be earlier breeders than others.

Then again there are some dragons out there that never cycle without being brumated. It's just an individual thing with the females as far as I can tell......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!