my new Forest Hingeback Tort - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
MiIguanaLvr
my new Forest Hingeback Tort

I was in Tinley over Valentines day for the Summit and show there.
The charity auction was Saturday night and I was there, ready to get a good deal on something (grin). Suddenly Brian Potter (auctioneer) held up this hingeback tort and announced it had been found wandering the show. He also stated that since the show was a captive bred only show he seriously doubted that the person who lost it would claim it again, and the animal went into the auction.
I ended up with him, what a pitiful little thing he is. Very thin and lightweight, but after a good soak or two he has started to turn around already. He is eating for me and getting adjusted to his new set up.
I love torts and have fostered some for rescue but never owned one before. I realize this is not the easiest starter tort choice but I will do the very best I can with him. I have been doing a ton of reading on them, talked to my herp vet about his set up, and he is scheduled for a check up and fecal this week. In the meantime, he is quarantined. My vet is a friend and she was also at the event, so he has been looked over by her already, just has not been to the office for his fecal, etc.
I am hoping some of you will have experience with these torts and can advise more on his feeding mostly. I am also curious about the need for UV lighting for him, since according to all I can find on them, they are not fond of light and only are active at early Dawn or Dusk. I currently have a fluorescent UV light on him.
Here is a photo of this yet unnamed, male Tort.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
chairman
If you didn't know already (which you might), that looks a Home's Hingeback (kinixys homeana). You can tell by the steep drop at the rear of his shell and the small, sharp scute right above his head. That also means that you should take the UV light away from him. They prefer the dark, and you'll find that he gets a lot more active if he gets only ambient light. For heat, just use CHEs. I don't know what you've read, but they actually prefer it cooler than many torts... my Home's prefer temps in the low 70's, with a gradient up to the mid 80s. You'll also want to make sure to keep the humidity high, and provide a water dish large enough for him to soak himself in.

When it comes to feeding, think somewhere between a box turtle and a redfoot tortoise. Your tort is going to want a high protein diet, with earthworms being a perennial favorite. You can also mix in slugs, snails, mealworms, waxworms, superworms. Those last two should only be offered occasionally. Fruit can (and should) be offered liberally. Unlike most torts, he won't have stomach problems from all the sugar. Good foods to offer are mushrooms, mango, papaya, banana, squashes, various lettuces (no iceburg). If you can get him to eat it, you can try mazuri, but these guys aren't really grass or hay eaters. You may have to mix some banana with it to get him started.

Good luck with him.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
MiIguanaLvr
I did not see your response until just now. I am sorry that I somehow missed it.
I had been told about needing lower temps, I just was unsure on the UV light. I removed it now though, thank you.
I have offered him a wide variety of greens, fruits and vegetables, along with earthworms. I also have a large enough water pan that he can soak at will.
He is gaining weight and doing quite well. I hope this means he will make it. I have heard they can be quite tricky sometimes.

Thanks again for the info

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!