Least favorite venomous snake? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Which snake gave you the most trouble?
A cobra species (Naja, Ophiophagus, Walternnesia, etc) 8 10.96%
A mamba species (Dendroaspis) 23 31.51%
Another elapid species 1 1.37%
North American crotalid (Crotalus, Sistrurus, Agkistrodon) 10 13.70%
A large terrestrial viper (Bitis, Bothrops, Lachesis) 5 6.85%
An arboreal viper (Atheris, Trimeresusus, Tropidolaemus) 4 5.48%
A rear fanged colubrid (Dispholidus, Thelotornis, Boiga, etc) 5 6.85%
A completely nonvenomous snake 17 23.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #21
Rattlesnake
When I worked at the local Zoo there was a King Cobra who was so intimidating with anyone who was feeding it when they opened his cage. He was probably the only snake I have had experience with that was so difficult. Also, there was a Crotalus viridis that we kept there also and when you would walk, or anyone for that matter, would enter the back room he would start buzzing and wouldn't quit until you left the area. No matter how long you stayed back there, 10 minutes or 3 hours, it was a continuing buzz all the time. Very nerve racking.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
Capetown
I've never kept them, but in the field the hardest ones I've had to deal with aren't venomous. The rock python is by far the most agressive snake ive dealt with, when I was 19 I was bit and half coiled by a 4 metre (12 foot) female, luckily i was with my mentor and he was able to pull the snake off. A scary experience but I also learned alot from it. When i was 22 I was bitten by a desert horned viper, we had antivenin but still a painful wound, i still say the rock python bite hurt much more.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #23
christophermchale
i never much cared for mangrove snakes.

ive had wild caught ones that were the hardest thing to get feeding ive ever had.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
Common King Lover
For me it would be the Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (C.v. helleri). These snakes were always so high strung and wired. The most aggro and excitable of all the Crotalus that I've had.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #25
Leftwich08
Pop goes the gaboon viper.

While assisting with reading water meters I got called over and asked what kind of kingsnake was in the water meter we were at. We were almost done and I grabbed the hook and headed over fascinated but ready to be home. My first thought was beautiful but as the full snake came into view not just the coloring my brain nearly shut down. It was a gaboon viper, in texas, having hidden and stuffed himself into a meter box. I'm sure he wasn't fully grown but that was no comfort. Expecting slow if aggressive behaviour due to the weather I sent Teddy to get the box we keep rattlesnakes in when this happens with them and wound up nearly dying of a heart attack before enclosing him. That slow behavior was nowhere to be seen he flopped like a landed fish and bit everything in reach! Now I'm sure my newness to venomous at the time plus being as scared as a rat would have been at the sight of him didn't help, nor did constantly knowing the consequences of the bite and that kids lived in the area but that is still my worst experience with snakes or venomous period. I love and hate them and every time I consider working my way to those again I remember that feeling and can't even finish researching.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #26
WmTaylor
two candidates.

One was a mamba......
Kept flipping from full one charging attack to freaked out retreat and back. One or the other....fine, but as it was....very annoying.

WC Russles Vipers...
He would not eat on his own and yet kept holding on to life. He was crap brown in color, and missing some of his tail. I guarantee you have never seen a russles viper 1/50th as ugly. After assist.....who am I kidding force feeding for about the three dozen times....I slipped and he scratched my thumb. At that point, I said I was not going to die from such an ugly snake and said.....eat on your own or die. He died.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!