Python Tank Set-up. Pond w/pump? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Beetlejuice
Python Tank Set-up. Pond w/pump?

Want to see what kind of feed back I could get for an idea I have for a future ball python. Planning on putting in "pond" in the tank with a pump/filter. kind of just running through start off ideas to put it on a large glass tank. From there comes questions and worries of the effects, practical use, or safety issues towards the ball python. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was thinking of going with a large exxo terra terrarium. The ones that have the water proof bootoms with front hinged doors. From there I would measure out a portion of the tank on the would be cold side. Either with one piece or two with silicon sealant. The size would thought with installing a water pump/ filter. easy cleaning of fecal matter is a sure thought with soak and poop pythons. The thought of a pump/filter was in reasoning to keep water clean, easy re-filling with no dish take out, also the aesthetic purpose it would bring. Over just creating a dropped dish holder or something like that.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
gsrept
tho sounds cool I see issues that I may be concerned with.
1) To much humidity. could bring on URI or belly rot if snake ends up sitting in a wet enviroment to long.
2) being the place where they get water from I would have issues with just adding water on occasion and not actually at the very least doing weekly water changes this could lead to a bacteria backup and possible mouth rot.

Just some food for thought. this is what came to mind when i saw this.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
The snake poo is going to be very hard to clean out of the water side. And as above I would worry about humidity. If you want a natural 'tropical' snake tank you'd be better off putting a tropical snake in it, something that likes high humidity and likes to swim.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Matt2979
My brother did something very similar for a boa. It's been way too many years (at least 20) for me to remember any specific details, but I do remember that it ended up being a much bigger pain in the butt than he thought it would. I think the biggest problem was keeping clean water in something that didn't come out--like a normal water bowl.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Beetlejuice
thanks

thank you everyone for the replies. Some great things to think about. The poop clean would get old after awhile. water changes. thinking..... humidity not thinking would be to much of a problem in a 60 in screen top. Also been thinking a a drop in custom water bowl that can come in and out for easy cleaning but still have to look i am going for. again thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!