Machinery stuff? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
WebSlave
Machinery stuff?

Probably no one is much interested in this sort of stuff here, but heck I made the video and might as well post it somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pV4jpq0m6g

Old 11-04-2021, 01:27 AM   #2
Randall Turner
That looks like a bit of frustration while getting it dialed in, but imagine once it is done it would give some satisfaction.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:41 AM   #3
WebSlave
Yeah, when you are trying to get the runout to under a half thousandth of an inch, it doesn't take much to take it too far out in the other direction. 0.0005" or less is REALLY small.

Wood working is a WHOLE lot more relaxed where tolerances are concerned.

Of course, the pursuit of perfection in just about anything can drive you crazy.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
JColt
Had a friend who took classes and got a job in machinery through some government program. He lasted about 6 months. He said he wasn't anal enough to do it, lol.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, I hear that! When I was trying to get the runout of my original 3 jaw chuck to do better than the .003" I was getting, wanting more like .001", Connie came into the garage and asked me what I was spending so much time doing. After I told her, she asked "How thick is one thousandth of an inch"? I said "Well, roughly around the thickness of a hair." She gave me one of those "looks". "Is that REALLY going to matter all that much?"

I didn't have a real good answer for that question.

Of course, on the other hand, I have to wonder how many times people have been surprised when they tried to design and build something with wood, and mistakenly thought that a two by four was REALLY 2 inches by 4 inches? I know that bit me in my younger days.

But on the other, other, hand. I know I would much rather buy a rifle that would shoot a group with a 0.5 MOA rather than one that could only shoot 1.0 MOA. Although in all practical uses, for a mediocre shooter like me, that wouldn't really matter much at all. Besides paper targets, I only shoot squirrels and at not very long distances. So if I miss, I want to be able to only blame myself.

So it would probably be best to NEVER buy a gun made out of wood, I suppose.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #6
JColt
TITANS of CNC MACHINING on Youtube is one of my subscribed subs. When I was sick a year and a half ago I was trying to keep myself entertained and stumbled on to his channel. Guy has state of the art equipment and employees.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
WebSlave
I like the idea of CNC machinery, but since I only do singular jobs and not repetitive cuts, I have stuck with the manual machines. I guess I could have at one point, since I designed a little holder for my vette to hold the relocated MAP sensor in place on an aftermarket intake manifold. I sent pics to a company and they offered to have me make a bunch for them, but I declined. Manually it would have taken me more time to make them than I could reasonably charge for the end products.

But not too long ago I found that someone has run with my idea and are now making these things for that same company.

Old 11-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
WebSlave
After watching numerous videos of people working on lathes, and noting how many of them had scarred up knuckles and fingers, I decided to put some safety guards on my lathe. One that covers the rotating chuck, which has those jaws with rather sharp edges to them that would make a mess of anything flesh and bone they might contact when the chuck is rotating at high speed. Although I try to be real careful, all it would take is one moment of inattention or distraction to end my keyboard playing days forever. Plus it seems that the chuck is always throwing a stream of oil out of it. When I first bought that chuck and set it up, I decided to run it at high speed to see if it had any notable vibration. While I was reaching for the speed control, I could feel a little alarm bell going off in my head. Yeah, I was standing right alongside the chuck's rotation, and had a line of oil running from down my shirt that got slung off of that chuck. Wasn't the first time that had happened, neither. So a guard to keep me from doing that again and having to explain to Connie how I ruined another shirt would be money well spent.

Then I wanted a guard to ride on apron with the cross slide to keep it covering the cutting tool area seemed like a good idea. Even though I would wear safety glasses, all it would take is one real unlucky piece of hot metal falling behind the glasses into one of my eyes to really ruin my day. Plus just having hot metal chips hitting my face and chest really unnerves me. Actually I haven't run the lathe at very high speeds, but I think I am running it too slow. At least slower than I should. I am basing this mostly off of the little lathe I used to have, but I can blame that on the fact that chuck speeds needed to be done via changing gears, so I just didn't bother with that. This new lathe has electronic speed control, which is MUCH better and more convenient to work with.

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry, I guess. I am getting older and my brain doesn't work as well as it used to be. So best to try to protect my body from my aging brain's failings as best I can.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #9
Beyond GenetiX
Awesome video! I've actually been setting snake funds aside for next years business venture which involves cnc mill and lathe.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
TITANS of CNC MACHINING on Youtube is one of my subscribed subs. When I was sick a year and a half ago I was trying to keep myself entertained and stumbled on to his channel. Guy has state of the art equipment and employees.
They have some great videos!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!