underground fencing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Stardust
underground fencing

Innotek ultra-smart underground fencing.

Just wanting to know if anyone has this system and just how hard/easy it is to install?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
ssshane
Installation will be easier if you get some type of wire laying machine, one that buries the wire as you go. You can also get a trencher, but it will tear up the yard a little more, and you will also have to lay the wire in by hand, then cover it up. I am the manager at Invisible Fence of the Carolinas. If you have any other questions, please ask. I won't try and push our produst, just answer your questions. Hope it helps.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Bill & Amy
For the most part it works really good, you just have to remember to keep fresh batteries in the collar all the time. Also you have to remember that if your power goes off so does the perimeter.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Stardust
Thanks Shane. Where would I get one of those tools? I have never even heard of it... a wire laying machine, sounds so much better then digging all this up.

OMG Bill I totally did not think about power going out! We get storms here all the time and power goes out.
They did give me flags and I plan on getting more and hoping the dogs will associate where they can and can not go from the flags more then from the shocks after a bit. They gave me white flags but I thought for winter that is no good so I will get some orange ones as well.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
Yeah, they give you flags to train them. My dog learned very quickly how to "test" the fence. The system I had would give a warning "beep" when you were getting close to the wire before giving an actual shock. So when you let him out he would run full blast towards the property line (this was an acreage in the country) until he heard the "beep" then turn to stay in. If he didn't hear the beep he would keep on trucking. So it is a good idea to test it on a regular basis to make sure everything is working properly and plan on replacing his batteries regularly before they go dead.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Bill & Amy
One more thing that can cause your "fence" not to work is a break in the wire. It doesn't happen often, but the chance is there. Someone hit it with a shovel, gopher etc.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
kellysballs
Training Training Training.
The dogs must be trained to understand the perimeter. For the most part they will not figure it out on there own. I had a weimeraner(sp?) mix who I cut the training short on and she would run through the shock area and not come back into the yard. After she realized the shock only lasted a second and then she was free and clear, It didn't matter how high I turned the shocker or how many flags I put up she would cut and run every time. I did not have a good experience but it was my fault for not training the dog properly.
I used a shovel to bury my wire and it was a pain, I would see if you could fine this wire layer machine.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
My parents have a JRT who knows that if he can get high enough off the ground, he can jump over the fence. Also, they know if they go at it with a running start, they can break through the fence that way as well..... Smart Cookies those Jack Russel's.... LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Stardust
Hmm all things to think about thanks.
I have two pugs and a neutered yellow lab. All are pretty good at staying around but there are times... those are the time I would like to avoid.
The lab for the most part stays around if you are around, and most times even without the fence up will stay around the house. The female pug is just a lap lover dog that will stick to you like glue without a leash. My male pug is a whole other story! Pugs are not always the brightest dogs in the world and although a good dog he does tend to not think and wander, there is also the lifting of the leg which I can't seem to get him to stop doing anywhere he choses to do it and I have trained dogs (shepherds) for a long time.
This particular model comes with a remote control as well so I am hoping to keep an eye out and catch him (although I am having some problems in my mind with this method as I have never used this type of system before).

The fence is mostly for a back up system to training. It would be nice to know that I can just let them out to do their business and they come back in without having to oversee everytime. And it is MOSTLY for my male pug, although the others can benefit from it as well as my road in front of my house does get some trucks and faster cars at times. I do love Bruiser (male pug) but he is just not very smart.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Stardust
On a side note, I do not have Shepherds any longer. Once my last one died a few years ago of old age I did not have the heart to get any more. So I got pugs. The difference is very plain to see in the intelligence category! LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!