Airborne Express mess - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-18-2003, 01:49 AM   #41
Bayou Beasts
Question UPS

We just had a bad experience with UPS. We received a shippment of snakes in marked (live harmless reptiles) the same day a shipment was sent out with a variety of herps. 12 hours went by and there was no tracking info available so we called the terminal to find the problem and we were told the package was on its way, literally 1 minute later we received a call telling us they would not ship the package and the gentlemen asked if there was a snake in the box knowing I had only placed one snake in the box and the only way they would know was if the box had been opened I cofessed that there was indeed a snake in the box. About an hour went by and we received another call about the package this time a lady she said we had to come pick up the package, So we called the 1-800 number and explained the problem and were told that with a valid account we can ship snakes via UPS but nothing poisonous. I called the terminal back and explained what I had just found out from their main office and was told that the package had already left and they were not sure who called, again 1 minute later (caller ID) the lady from earlier called and said the package had to be picked up. To make a long story short they made me come down and remove the snake and then they shipped the rest. When we arrived we found that the box had been cut open and gone through when we asked why we were told simply because the label on it with a business name that had the word exotics in it and the employees were curious what might be in the box. So in the end because of the employees being curious our shippment was held up.

Thank you for listening
Tony Barbush
Bayou Beasts

Old 10-18-2003, 03:57 AM   #42
Ken Foose
I would be outraged if not for the fact that this is common practice. I was told by Airborne that each and every one of my boxes would be opened and inspected to make sure that I was not shipping any live animals ever again. And please note the state of confusion the the staff of UPS has in the above post. No one with any of these companies seems to know thier own policies, and it varies depending on who you talk to at the moment. I talked to the locals at the Vegas Airborne office, and they told me to come pick up my box of live harmless reptiles. I was then told by a supervisor at the 1-800# that the locals had no clue what they were talking about and that she would direct them to ship the box. I was then told the next day by the locals that they would not ship the box, because they did not allow the shipping of animals, just as the Airborne driver delivered two boxes to me labeled live harmless reptiles. They had to have just passed through the same place that the people I was talking to on the phone were calling from. Later the supervisor that had told me she would handle it called and said that yes indeed, all live reptile shipping except for turtles via Airborne were being halted, nationwide. I got another box labeled live harmless reptiles delivered to me via Airborne today! I shipped out several boxes via UPS today, snakes included. To say that I'm confused, a bit worried, and really miffed is an understatement.

Old 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #43
CheriS
This is a concern to me, I dislike Fed-Ex, we have received too many boxes from them that looked like a gang of kids used them for a trampoline.

I have an airborne account and never had a problem, when I set up the account they new what I ship, the local staff know and right now I am shipping out baby bearded dragons that were imported from Germany. It's nice that I can drop them off at 6:30 PM not too far from my house and it is right at the airport. The dragons arrive by 10:30 am and never seem to miss a stride in eating or stressing.

Their office closes shortly after I drop them off and I am concerned that if they will not ship them now, the animals will sit there overnight. I have never had any problems and all deliveries have been on time.... this is really frustrating, I don;t know whether to call them and clarify things or just keep shipping and hope they go through.

Old 10-18-2003, 11:19 PM   #44
Chamlover
I don't normally comment much here, though I do read most everything. I just wanted to share my experiences with all three shipping companies, since this is a highly important subject to me.
The majority of our shipping has been with Airborne. Simply because we ship a lot of tortoise. And that is one thing we can fight them on as it is in plain writing that they will ship them. So far we have had limited trouble as far as the animals are concerned. Delivered on time, to the right place, etc. The head of our terminal even keeps packeges in her office for us sometimes, so that they are climate controled) We have had major trouble with billing though. Overbilled, billed for shipments that were never transported (the sender was called and asked to come pick the tortoise up at the hub..it never even left their town), weight variations, etc.

We have only shipped with FedEx twice. Both times were completely satisfactory. No billing trouble, no delivery trouble. But that was only twice.

UPS we have used once. And that is simply because we ATTMEPTED to ship a snake with them. I was called about 5:00 in the morning and told that I would have to pick the box up before 8:00 am..and no later. Or it would be disposed of. When I questioned them on the problem I was told that they search ALL packages before they leave the building. They opened the box from the obvious wrong end. I had use a solid bottom box type styro. So it has to be opened from the top. They had used something pointed to stab into the sides/top edges of the styro to pull the whole mess out of the cardboard box. Of course when they did the styro lid, packing, bagged snake, etc fell out of it. Needless to say I was not very happy and they will never receive my business again.

This now leaves me with Airborne and FedEx for my shipping needs. I will still use Airborne for tortoise unless they just get completely nuts with billing problems. But I do also ship quite a few lizards and snakes. Up to this point I have most always shipped them with Airborne also. I don't feel it's right to hide what you are shipping..but what can you do? I am never questioned on the matter because they are aware that I ship tortoise. But I am always concerned that just one time somewhere they will look to see what is in the box. USPS is out for me for lizards because they take min. two days for express. (rural location too far from the nearest airport)
It really does make you worried about that next batch of animals to go out, and makes you wonder about who would be your best bet to use. Jason Parrish

Old 10-20-2003, 02:18 AM   #45
HerpVenue
I don't label my stuff anymore.
It is just a chance I take.
And if the chance I take backfires....and the snake dies or something.....oh well I just refund the money to the customer.

But since someone mentioned proper labeling because of Lacy Act and getting fined and all that.

I will properly label the box.
Somewhere at the bottom in small print. But not so small. Then I will drag it on the cement to make the label look old as if it has been there before.

Tada

I do not ship as much as some of you.

My yearly bill shippig bill only gets up to about $500- $2000
Do they really want to lost that much money from 100's of small timers like me?

Do they really want to lose the business of the people who actually ship several packages everyday of the year?

Old 10-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #46
Phil
Lacey Act

Chris McAra,

Please tell me more about what happened to your friend or what you know about the Lacey Act. I've read the statue, but heard conflicting stories on enforcement, what it exactly applies to with regards to snakes, etc.

Thanks & God bless,

Phil Frost
ZNJ Exotics
znjexotics@hotmail.com

PS
For what it's worth, I live in a rural area and have had problems with FedEx and big problems with AirBorne. The only carrier whose been reliable out here in the woods is UPS.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:06 PM   #47
Rob @ RK Reptiles
The violation of the Lacey Act being discussed here is the Mis labeling article. I don't know of any articles that specify snakes only but below is the exact article on mis-labeling.

(d) False labeling offenses

It is unlawful for any person to make or submit any false record, account, or label for, or any false identification of, any fish, wildlife, or plant which has been, or is intended to be -

(1)

imported, exported, transported, sold, purchased, or received from any foreign country; or

(2)

transported in interstate or foreign commerce

Old 10-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #48
Ken Foose
I just got a call from Tad at Captive Bred Exellence here in Vegas. He is an outstanding guy, with top of the line herps. He had been informed that Airborne would not ship out his Bolivian Boas, nor would they take any herps in the future. He asked if he could use my known shipper from Delta. Of course I said yes, as he has done this in the past. I just call them and tell them that a staff member is dropping off a box to be shipped. It seems that the no shipping policy is slowly spreading. On the same note, I am shipping out a 50+ sulcatta today to Texas with UPS. We talked for sometime (UPS and I) about how to pack him for the trip. So far they have been more then willing to work with me. Of course we are not talking snakes, either.

Old 10-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #49
morphrancher
UPS

If UPS is truly allowing some businesses and individuals to knowingly ship snakes and denying others based on arbitrary decisions, then they have taken away the opportunity for others to compete with these "blessed" shippers.

This is a big deal to me and it should be to everyone involved in selling snakes.

I do not feel it is up to UPS to decide who succeeds and who fails in the reptile business.

Alex Tanner

Old 10-20-2003, 05:35 PM   #50
JungleHabitats
agreed Alex ... more

If they are allowing certain individuals to ship snakes no matter where they may be located and then using there descretion( sp ) to not allow others then could they be setting themselves up for a lawsuit?

Heres what i mean ;
EX: herper bob in california is able to ship snakes through UPS because he has a cool Rep. who lets him do so

EX: herper Joe in North Carolina is told that under no circumstances will they allow him to ship snakes due to it being against there rules & regulations .

now if thats the case and for anyone who may be allowed to ship snakes i ask you is it fair that you are given "special privliges to do so? while just because you have a understanding rep or shipping facility there they do not allow someone else located in a different region to do the same ?

Please dont answer this just because you are allowed todo so and are still making money doing it . But give an honest answer on the fairness to do so and think about if the shoe wasnt on your foot . For them to do so is in essence is them deciding who can make a living and who cant doing this as a buisness.

And if you are allowed to do so would you stand beside fellow herpers / petshops in making a petition to UPS to allow us all to ship via them or would the greed that allows you to do so be greater then the ability to have fair compition.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!