"How To Do It Legal ?????" - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
JJFOUTZ
Quote:
Originally posted by DThomas
I have said it before and I will say it again, the US Constitution pertains to the GOVERNMENT ONLY. It does not pertain to private business or individuals.

Anyways, what right do they have? If you want to ship through them and one requirement is they inspect your facilities and you decline, (which you have the right to do), they have the right to refuse you service.
The Constitution is the rights of every American. Where does it say that the Constitution is ONLY PERTAINS TO THE GOVERNMENT????????????? Prove it to me.

I would not do business with someone that requires me to let them step on my Constitutional rights.

If it is to inspect your facilities (Business) then they would not be inspecting my home. They would not be welcome there for any type of inspection. If my business is in part of my home then that would be the ONLY part of my home that they would be exposed to and no other, for any reason.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
DThomas
Quote:
Originally posted by JJFOUTZ
The Constitution is the rights of every American. Where does it say that the Constitution is ONLY PERTAINS TO THE GOVERNMENT????????????? Prove it to me.
Actually, the Constitution does. Go read it for yourself and you tell ME where does it say it has governance over private citizens/businesses.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

Quote:
I would not do business with someone that requires me to let them step on my Constitutional rights.
They are not forcing there way into your home. They are not stepping on your rights. You have the right to refuse.

Quote:
If it is to inspect your facilities (Business) then they would not be inspecting my home. They would not be welcome there for any type of inspection. If my business is in part of my home then that would be the ONLY part of my home that they would be exposed to and no other, for any reason.
You don't have to use Delta. I, like many other small time breeders, have our facilities in our homes. I don't want them in my house either but I accept the fact I can not ship with them because of this. I can understand their wanting to inspect facilities to insure a minimum standard of care to lessen their liability in shipping.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #13
DThomas
One other thing that may make it a bit clearer....

The US Constitution protects individuals from GOVERNMENT, not from businesses or private individuals. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 covers that.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:50 PM   #14
JJFOUTZ
Quote:
Originally posted by DThomas
They are not forcing there way into your home. They are not stepping on your rights. You have the right to refuse.

You don't have to use Delta. I, like many other small time breeders, have our facilities in our homes. I don't want them in my house either but I accept the fact I can not ship with them because of this. I can understand their wanting to inspect facilities to insure a minimum standard of care to lessen their liability in shipping.
The point is that they are requiring you to submit to thier inspection of your home for them to accept your business. I find that seriously intrusive and will not happen as far as I am conserned. I understand that I have the right to refuse the inspection and the fact that they will not approve me to ship with them because of that decision. As you have stated, I too accept the fact that I can not ship with them because of this.
It just really irritates me to see so many willing to submit to such things because they "have to" to get approved. I belive if more people would decide to stand up for themselves and not submit to such intrusive requests by companies to get approved for them to accept your business, there would not be so many intrusions into our privacy. The worst thing is that I have noticed most young people don't even think about giving any info to anyone for anything. Like they have been so conditioned to forking over private info to anyone that asks, it is not intrusive to them at all.
Sort of like when you go to Lowes (just an example, there are many out there) and as you are checking out at the register, the cashier asks for your phone #. I never give my number to them or any business like that. The cashier usually has a shocked look on thier face for a minute like the have never herd of a private phone # in thier life and how dare I refuse them of the info that they request from me. I have never been told that I could not comlete my purchase without it and if that ever happened, they can keep thier product and I will go somewhere else. There are a few places that I will not go into because of some of the info they ask for regardless of being able to bypass it or not. The funny thing about that particular sinerio, a lot of the time when I refuse to give the # to them and the purchase is complete. I am walking away and the next person in line is asked for thier # and I hear them tell the cashier they also have a private #.
The sad thing is that most people just spit it out without thinking about it at all. Next thing you know they are complaining that they got a phone call from some business they gave thier phone # to during checkout telling them about some upcomming sale while they were eating dinner and how they were irritated by it.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #15
DThomas
I completely agree with you Jeff. Too many people are willing to just hand over their personal information without giving it a second thought. I think the main problem with Delta is they have no provision to differentiate between a freestanding, retail establishment, that should have no problem being inspected, and the hobbiest working out of his home.

Funny you should mention Lowes, I do the exact same thing. And just yesterday, I took my four year old to get her hair cut at Great Clips. They asked for my phone number and I refused, saying it was unlisted. That shocked her a bit. She then asked for her name. Now I was getting upset and asked her what reason could she possibly have for wanting my FOUR YEAR OLD's name. She was just gettting a hair cut. You should have seen the look on her face, it looked like I had just slapped her...lol She said something about this is how they tracked the hair cut guarantees. Needless to say, my daughter still received her haircut and they got NO information from me.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:17 PM   #16
WebSlave
Heck, I went to a pawnshop a few years ago to pick up a gun they had transferred for me from my mother in Maryland. The guy at the counter doing the paperwork asked me for my social security number. I refused. He looked like I had punched him in the nose. He didn't know what to do. So he called the owner. The owner just told him to put something in there, but the program demanded numbers. So he just made up something. The guy told me that in the three years he had been working there NO ONE before me had ever refused to give him their SSN when asked.

Now, THAT boggles my mind.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:41 PM   #17
JJFOUTZ
Here in Pa they have a place for your SS# on the applications for hunting and fishing licenses so they can revoke the license if you have not paid child support or something like that. I will not give my SS# to them for the license and I have learned who will and will not sell them without the #. I have run into alot of crap because of it but to me it is well worth it. Yes all my children live in my home so that is not the reason for refusal. Just stating that because that is usually the accusation from those who refuse to sell them to me for not giving the SS# (some of those situations have turned ugly very quickly).

Old 06-10-2004, 01:13 AM   #18
pinhed
I agree with you on that. All kinds of companies are trying to get phone #'s and other stuff they will not get from me. Only thing i give when asked is zip code they want this to see if they should open a store in another area.

But wanting you SSN? For somethings i can understand that.
My car(just bought 1 week b4) got hit in Staters parking lot by a shopping cart and i went to file a report with the manager to see if they can pay for repairs. He asked for my SSN. I was ready to slap the hell out of him. I should have contacted his superiors and gave them a piece of my mind. Anyways they sent me a letter and didnt give me a penny.

Back to FedEx. We should get as many people as we can together and ship through them and when they realise the income potential of it, we all stop until they can compromise with us. Ship to anywhere business or residential, and On time guarantee are a must. Live arrival isnt gonna happen.
The only way on time guarantee should not come in is if they treat are shipments with special care(temps that we set for them to follow). And i know they dont take care of our shippments. FedEx delivered to my mothers work and the guy walks up flipping the box in the air like he had no idea it said live animal on the side. If i was there he would probably no longer be working for anybody.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #19
KodiakWood
Quote:
Steps to become Fed-Ex certified to ship.
Ok Let me first say Ive read Brians Post .....2 days ago I start on this venture and it ended @ 12:39 6/10/04 pm Fed Ex under no circlumstances "SHIP REPTILES" and you can not become certified to do so Ive talked to everybody and there mother there and was told the same crap over and over again "We do not ship reptiles in any shape or form" Its the same with UPS.USPS Air Borne/DHL The only ones who will ,Are USAir Delta IPATA.com So IMO Theres No Way to ship Legally through any of those companies ......only through the air lines and that isnt cost effective if anybody knows a way that works "Let Me Know" Im running out of options As my collection/For sales Grow Thanks

Old 06-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #20
JJFOUTZ
Fed-Ex approval process

This is all the info that I can give you and remember about the process of getting FedEx approved to ship live non-venomous snakes.
Each Package that you plan on using to ship through them is supposed to be tested individually for approval before you use them to ship. That is not really a big deal considering they pay for the shipping of the test packages to them (ship 2 day). I sent my test package to them inside another box so that it didn’t get damaged on the way to them. I taped the application to the top of the test box and wrote, “test package enclosed” on the exterior box.

1) Call FedEx and set up an express acct. They will want a credit card # that they can charge your shipments to. There is no initial charge to set up the acct or anything like that. I was told they will pick up same day for express shipments. They will pick up express shipments at your house for a $4.00 fee and you will get a 10% discount if you use FedEx.com for shipping.

2) You will have to wait 24 hours before calling to talk to a customer service person to get things started so that they get you into the system. When you call to talk to a customer service rep, Tell them that you want to obtain a waiver to ship live non-venomous snakes and that you need to have your local acct rep call you to start this process. Tell the customer service person to put the name James Brown (FedEx legal) on the request with his phone # (901)434-8494 before they forward it to your local acct rep so if there are any questions or attitude they can call James Brown to confirm that the waiver is attainable.

3) It will probably take a day or so for your local acct rep to call you back, you may get a call from the live animal desk instead of the acct rep and they may give you the local acct rep’s phone #. The guy that called me was the local sales manager for this area. Your local acct rep needs to call James Brown - phone # (901)434-8494 to get the instructions on the process to obtain the waiver for you. After the local acct rep receives the instructions, you will need to send a test package to the test dept.

4) The test package should have a foam or insulation liner on all sides for stability and insulating purposes. I think they are specifically looking for that. The test dept address and info is:

FedEx Express Packaging Design & Development
2828 Business Park Drive
Building H Suite 500
Memphis, TN 38118
(800) 633-7019

The package should be sent 2 day and charged to the FedEx Express Packaging Design & Development acct. I got the # at Fed-Ex when I shipped the package.

5) You will receive the evaluation paper work back from the test dept within A week. After you receive the evaluation papers, you need to send or fax the paper work to your local acct rep. After the acct rep has the approved paper work he should fax them to James Brown and James should send the Waiver to your acct rep for you to sign and send back to the acct rep.

6) The acct rep should sign the waiver on behalf of FedEx and send copies to:

Legal Department
Attn: James S. Brown
3620 Hacks Cross Road
Building B, 3rd floor.
Memphis, TN 38125

Copy to you for your records

Copy for your local acct rep for your files there

Send copies of the signed waiver and the Package approval papers to:

FedEx Animal control desk
O’Hare International Airport
Building 612
Chicago, IL 60666-0004

I had made 4 copies of the waiver before I signed it and 4 copies of the package approval papers, I signed all 4 copies of the waiver and attached the a copy of the package approval papers to each for my acct rep to sign all 4 waivers and everyone would get an original copy with the package approval including me. That way nobody could say they didn’t get the appropriate paper work. I figured it would be better to send too much than have a problem later down the road.

7) I had sent the papers to my acct rep with a letter thanking him for his time and effort in making this waiver possible for me and I told him in the letter that when I receive my copy of the signed paperwork, I would assume that everyone would receive the copies within a few days and that I would be officially approved for shipping through FedEx unless I was told otherwise.

That is basically the entire process as I can remember it.

You need to have your Local sales or acct. rep call James Brown. James will tell him the appropriate steps that need to be taken to make this happen for you. Do not let him tell you they do not ship reptiles and blow you off. Hound him till he calls James Brown.

Jeff Foutz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!