Let's discuss: Hybridization? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
snakegetters
Let's discuss: Hybridization?

How do people feel about the ethics of creating hybrids between venomous species? What are the pros and cons of breeding and keeping these animals?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
PaulSage
That depends. Is anti-venom species specific? Because that would be a concern if it was. I really don't know.

Sorry to answer your question with a question.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
hhmoore
Well, I don't know you, but I have seen enough of your posts to get the impression that you are fairly knowledgeable...so I am guessing that you are speaking of true hybridization, as opposed to intergrades. As such, I will say that I am not a proponent of the practice. I can admit that I think some of the hybrids that have been created are spectacular looking animals, and I feel that some are more "wrong" than others (the greater the differences between the 2 animals, the worse the offense - both to my sensibilities and to Mother Nature). I admit that I am a bit braindead (just got home from work), so my response lacks any real justification...but I am fairly certain that you have heard many/most of what I would come up with before. and probably phrased more eloquently, besides. Let's just leave it with the statement that if people have gone so far with selective breeding, or have become so disenchanted with a species that they feel the only thing they can offer is hybridization...its probably time to work with something else

Old 07-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
shrap
Ethics..... boy that can sure be a relative word.

I do not feel that it is right for us to say what is ok, or is not ok, for anyone other than ourselves. As long people are not harming or endangering anyone or any thing other than themselves..... then more power to them.

There is way too much attempt at controlling peoples actions in this country. Too much of trying to force ones beliefs on others. It has truly gotten out of hand. I repeat, as long people are not harming or endangering anyone or any thing other than themselves..... then I wish them the best of luck in whatever they want to do in life.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
SCReptiles
I am working on two hybrids, the batwing rattlesnake (EDB x Cane) and the cottonhead (Copperhead x cottonmouth.) I paired up these animals this spring, the cottons that I put with my male copper are not showing any signs of being gravid, however, the female cane I put with my male EDB is looking fat right before the vent. I am hopeful with her. As for the morality of it, these animals overlap each other in nature and natural intergrades do occur. We collected a rat/corn cross in AL few weeks ago. If I can produce, it would mean a lot to us venomous keepers in AL and GA. Here we are only allowed to legally keep indigenous venomous reptiles, so we are limited to 6 species. The cottonhead and batwing allows us to expand our collections by 1/3.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Gregg M
I think as long as it is a naturaly occuring intergrade it can be produced in captivity.... I do see a problem when it comes to crosses that are not even in the same genus, or crosses between two species that will not cross in the wild due to environmental differences, or any other variable that would keep them from breeding, venomous or non-venomous.....

We also need to worry about these crosses when it comes to the purity of our captive stock as well....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!