Fuming!!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
techgirl
Angry Fuming!!!!!!!

Turns out that my boyfriend left my daughter unsupervised while eating for a few minutes with some chicken drumsticks. When he came back, sure enough one drumstick is missing. I call from work to say hi and he neglects to tell me what has occurred. Just tells me she's missing a drumstick, I'm thinking a wooden drumstick. It's not until I prod the hell out of him as to why he is insistently looking for this drumstick that I find out that it was a chicken bone and not an instrument. So of course I am now furious because he knows better than to leave her alone with animals in a room and food. He asks her where the drumstick is and she says the dog ate it!!! Mind you my daughter is 2, she wants to feed the dog everything she eats and has to monitored to avoid this. I make him drop off the dog at my job and take 2 x-rays. Sitting in his stomach is a drumstick neatly in 2 pieces. He is now on IV fluids and being monitored to see if it's going to pass. If not, it's surgery. My dog is 16!!! I seriously want to kill my bf right now. He knows this situation could have been avoided and now I am worried sick about my dog. I told him that if Tal needs surgery, he is paying for it and I will never let him forget this. I just seriously needed to vent right now because I just keep snapping at him and want to choke the daylights out of him. I really want to throw him out right now and tell him to sleep somewhere else but I don't want to have a fight with my daughter here. I am doing the best to keep my emotions in check but I really wish him suffering right now. Slowly too mind you.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Lucille
Jessica, I understand you are upset, and that you love your dog.
On the plus side, from what I understand most chickenbone injuries happen on the way down where the bone sticks and chokes the animal, and this didn't happen here. Dogs are meant to eat meat and bones and most bones are digested without crisis, and hopefully this dog will be like most.

Far more serious is leaving even the most mild mannered dog with a two year old, with the focus on the two year old. Small children do not always understand what they do and there have been tragedies involving unsupervised dogs and kids. This sort of tragedy didn't happen either today.

I think if you tell your bf you love him, your daughter, and the dog and tell him how important it is to supervise, he may see your point of view.

If not, perhaps someone else can do the supervision?

If the dog is well, and there are no symptoms, why the IVs?

Old 03-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
techgirl
The IV's is to keep him hydrated because he cannot be fed now to see if surgery is going to be needed. If the bones don't move tonight, then it's surgery in the morning.
My bf knows the importance of not leaving the child unattended because it has been stressed on numerous occassions. He honestly believes that nothing is going to happen. Yeah right. We live together so if it's not me, it's him supervising and he just honestly doesn't think. He just doesn't think of what potentials there could be in situations and then wonders why I am upset.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Lucille
I hope all is well and like most dogs he will have digested the bones by morning.
I guess if reasoning has not worked you may have to find alternative care solutions to keep both dog and child safe.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
techgirl
The only problem when it comes to bones is when they are cooked. They tend to splinter easily and can cut as they pass through. That is the danger when people call us and tell us they have gotten into bones. Hopefully I will know more by late tonight.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Stardust
You are so correct Jessica, as a former vet tech myself I know all to well how chicken bones can tear up the lining of the stomach and be fatal. With a dog that is not used to eating bones like that, (mine aren't either) their stomach can get very upset.
Sixteen years is a long time, and lets hope that it goes fully thru his system unscathed.
As for your bf, remember we are all human and there are times when things happen, although not as badly as you feel as it is your dog I am sure he is feeling bad, you know people can be harder on themselves sometimes then anyone else can so breath some breaths and put your energy to good use and try to keep positive about this in a difficult time Your dog is in good hands, sending well wishes that he pulls through fine. Good for you for venting here and not saying something you may regret later, its healthy to let it out.
Keep us informed. My thoughts are with you and your doggy

Old 04-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Lucille
I've been hoping all went well with your dog, Jessica. Any news?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
techgirl
Well just got home. With my dog!! He is passing the bones in his stools and x-rays show it going through nicely. He's going to be on a high fiber diet for a little while to help move everything on through and some meds for his gut to take care of any inflammation. Hopefully he will continue to progress nicely. My bf was very lucky.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
Stardust
Aw, I am very happy to hear your dog is home with you again and that everything is going fine
What kind of dog is it?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
techgirl
He's a lab/pit/god knows what else mix. The best dog I have ever had. He has fought off two house break-ins(one I was home for, the other not), one attempted abusive bf(never got the chance to even get close to me), protected my daughter from a stray dog that attempted to attack her when we were on a walk, and protected me from 2 people who attempted to mug me.
I picked him up after I saw him get hit by a car in Trenton. He was in pretty bad shape and nearly had his back broken. Took a while to fix him up but he recovered.
My bf knows that I have ended relationships because of my dog. I would do anything and everything for him. I'm sorry but people come and go out of your life. The love of a dog is unconditional and worth every penny.
I have also told him that we need to get married soon because I want him to be at my wedding and walk down the aisle with me. If not, his tags are going to be decorated into my wedding bouquet. Yeah, I know, I love my dog. Go ahead, call my crazy
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!