Strange behavior.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
KatieDB
Strange behavior....

My gecko just did the strangest thing. She opened her mouth really wide and closed it at least a dozen times and then shook her head vigorously.

Ive seen her open her mouth before, but shes never done anything like this.

Is this indicative of something?

Old 05-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
Is she shedding? Or did she just eat a really big meal?

Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
KatieDB
No big meals and Im not sure if shes ready to shed.

This past week Ive been trying to get her on supers, so she hasn't really eaten. Usually she stops eating before shed. So now Im not sure if shes ready to shed because shes not eating her food anyway.

Ive seen her shake and twitch during a shed, but not before.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
gothra
Seems to me like she wants to regurgitate? I saw that happen to one of my leo before, and that was right before she throws up (she was sick at the time).

Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Leighanne
Number of options. I agree with all of the above. My little Gexie only does this when hes some place new. The car ride home, and when we took him outside, like hes trying to taste the air or something. Check out his new enviroment. Since Gothra said hers regurged you could watch her, but if everything looks fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
LeosForLess
This one is WAY WAY WAY!! out there but does she do tha after you feed the eupers? Because if she eats one and she isnt the right size or somthing, it cuold be biting her insides. Now ive never seen this happen, but people have told me that theve had geckos chew through stomaches and out of the gecko.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
brandy101010
I would not worry about that. it is a myth

Old 05-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
BalloonzForU
I agree all those things could cause what you are witnessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosForLess
This one is WAY WAY WAY!! out there but does she do tha after you feed the eupers? Because if she eats one and she isnt the right size or somthing, it cuold be biting her insides. Now ive never seen this happen, but people have told me that theve had geckos chew through stomaches and out of the gecko.
She did say she hadn't eaten one yet. But your idea, may not be too far off. They will not chew through the stomach, as Brandy said it's a old myth. However, I've noticed, that some of my younger ones that eat supers, don't get the idea that it's good to eat them head first. This way they can squish the head first. They've taking them tail first and then when the head is at the mouth it's harder for them to squish the head with the whole body down their throat. I get the same thing, mouth open shaking head, but it passes as soon as the super is all the way down. Some have learned quick to take them head first. I had a little one grab a super by the tail and play tug of war with the super cause the super kept grabing onto the paper towels and try to get away, while he's half way down the throat of the gecko. LOL

Old 05-30-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
LeosForLess
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy101010
I would not worry about that. it is a myth

Yeah i guess it is a myth

Dan here probably stole this gecko, but you got the idea

Old 05-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Th3HiddenGecko
I think in that post he said about the worms eating it from outside - in as compared to inside - out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!