Dead gecko dropped of at my door, what could have happened? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
ZenReptiles
Dead gecko dropped of at my door, what could have happened?

A friend of mine dropped off his ailing gecko while I was at work yesterday, but it had died before I got home. I don't know what he had expected me to do with it, because it was in disgusting shape. (Once my camera batteries recharge, I will take a few pictures.) I guess it had stopped eating 2 weeks ago, but from the looks of its tail it must have been a lot longer than that. It looked almost like it had MBD. I was also told that it was throwing up clear liquid. When I looked at the other side of it, it looked like its insides had exploded internally. I know that it probably can't be diagnosed here, but I would like to know if there's a chance of parasites. My reason is because when it was dropped off, my fiance (who doesn't know much about reptiles in general) stuck the critter keeper containing the gecko in my 20g tank with 2 of my most expensive leos, and breeding leos even. He said he wanted to keep the gecko warm but knew not to actually put it in with the others. I get home and see this and flipped out, and now I'm panicking that my leos are infected with something.

Should I be worried? Or would the plastic of the critter keeper work as a barrier?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Geckogardener
Yikes, I'd get a necropsy done to rest easier... and hope the only thing wrong with it was neglect. If it died from crypto then I sure hope there was no contamination. I should think that most likely the plastic would have been a good barrier, especially for parasites like pinworm, but you might want to smack your boyfriend a round a bit anyway. (not too hard of course, since he meant well)

Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Geckogardener
You indicateed to me in the other thread that it loked just like the photos of the one with severe impaction. Horrible for the poor creature that died, but you can probably rest easier in regards to any contamination risk, since that obviously can't be passed on to others.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckogardener
I sure hope there was no contamination. I should think that most likely the plastic would have been a good barrier
I hope your geckoes are OK, but I disagree about the barrier: whoever put the ailing gecko into the critter keeper touched the gecko and then most likely subsequently touched the outside of the critter keeper in order to carry it.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
ZenReptiles
That's what I feared... I'm going to buy some disinfectant stuff on my way to work today.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
raiquee
Most gecko species transmit internal parasites by feces, contaminated water or food. Now, it's possible their was small amounts of feces on the kritter keeper, however in the short time it was in the cage with the others, I don't think you need to freak out too bad.

Disinfect, in fact better yet, bleach the tank and supplies inside. Give it a nice tough washing. That should get any minute fecal traces off of it. Just keep the cage disinfected daily for a bit, I think you will be okay

Old 06-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
ZenReptiles
My friend dissected the dead leo last night while I was at work, and told me that after comparing it to the dissected leo pics of one with crypto, it looked fairly the same. They didn't find anything that would be causing an impaction. He had another leo that lived with that one, so we are monitoring the living one, who is doing quite well, to see what happens. Hopefully this will all turn out ok.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
MatthewK
I'd throw away all traces you had of that gecko in your house (Cage, water bowls, etc).. If it really was crypto, a bleaching wont get rid of it. A vet has a culture of crypto thriving in a five gallon bucket full of bleach.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
ZenReptiles
It wasn't my gecko, it wasn't at my house ever except for inside a cricket keeper when my friend brought it over. The cricket keeper has been thrown out already. Thank you all for your advice.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewK
I'd throw away all traces you had of that gecko in your house (Cage, water bowls, etc).. If it really was crypto, a bleaching wont get rid of it. A vet has a culture of crypto thriving in a five gallon bucket full of bleach.
Could you link me with that vet experiment? That sounds interesting, I'd like to see more about it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!