New York state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
odatria
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Well im glad i live in cape coral florida, not only can we keep reptiles as pets with no problem when can walk out side and see niles an iggys give it another year and there will be bearded dragons climbing my pool cage.
What a foolish and inconsiderate post. If this law passes in NY, give it another 5 years and the only reptiles any of us see might be outside. Wake up Vince.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
SPJ
New York Reptile Ban !

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02684&sh=t

Old 06-28-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
Vince
I was just makeing a point. There is a lot of alien species in florida, does NY really have a problem with this? if not what is the reason for the ban?

Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #14
odatria
Quote:
I was just makeing a point. There is a lot of alien species in florida, does NY really have a problem with this? if not what is the reason for the ban?
If it has to be spelled out for you then this is not a conversation worth having. The reasons (as foolish as they are) are obvious to anyone who is involved in the politics of keeping reptiles. It probably wouldnt hurt to read the link either.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:31 PM   #15
E2MacPets
Quote:
Originally posted by NYCHerper
Thank you for posting this very important thread. I am a NY state resident and it is absurd that he would wanna do this. I mean I can understand banning big boids such as retics, and burms, but such harmless snakes that don't even reach extreme lengths is far enough. Even though my email will not impact the decision it will create a dent. . Thanks Again Bruce.
P.S.- Will you be at the White Plains show?
I think Bruce will be at the show... it's his, after all.

Thank you Bruce for providing this important information.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 PM   #16
jenn
Quote:
I have learned first hand that it doesn't have to be a problem for people to try to ban reptiles. It can even start because someone is afraid of them!
And it is everyones problem. If this goes threw it will effect all states not just NY, because once they see NY do it all states will try it. Then all of us in the reptile world will lose their companion pet(even if they don't see them as domesticated)

Old 06-29-2004, 12:10 AM   #17
Clay Davenport
Jennifer hit the nail on the head. What we have to worry about is precedence.
California is known as the state the others often look to for model legislation in many cases, but NY would fall into that catagory as well.
Banning the entire boidae family is a completely unreasonable and unfounded piece of legislation.
It's hard to argue that a 20 foot snake, a gaboon viper, or a crocodile should be allowed to be kept privately. Regardless of our opinions, there's just not much ground to argue our position in those areas.
There can be shown no reason however for a ban that includes ball pythons, children's pythons, and others, even including comon boa constrictors for which there has never been a recorded human fatality.

This bill, as currently written, must be stopped, for the immediate good of residents of NY, but also to curb the potential harm it could do to all of us.
I emailed the Governor, for what it is worth considering I'm not a resident, and I would encourage as many who will to do the same.
Many of these laws are written by legislators who are completely ignorant about reptiles in general, and even worse, are often being misled by the animal rights activists and their propoganda.
A well thought out and articulate argument pointing out the flaws in their reasoning may add weight to the case and result in at the least a rewording of the bill.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #18
NYCHerper
Im glad im not only seeing people from NY State emailing letters. I wouldn't want the government taking away my "sons and daughters"
Plus im glad to see the number of herpers here in NY!

Old 06-29-2004, 04:02 PM   #19
NYCHerper
They speak as if reptiles are the only animals that are able to spread disease and are able to pose a threat to society.
But what about dogs? They have the ability to transmit rabies and they have the ability to kill a young child or teenager.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #20
cka
last part of the bill...

quote:

" NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF LAW TO THE CONTRARY, THE
37 DEPARTMENT MAY ISSUE TO ANY PERSON A LICENSE REVOCABLE AT ITS PLEASURE
38 TO COLLECT OR POSSESS REPTILES THAT ARE PROHIBITED UNDER THIS CHAPTER,
39 FOR EXHIBITION PURPOSES. HOWEVER, A LICENSE TO POSSESS A VENOMOUS SNAKE
40 OR SNAKE OF THE BOIDAE FAMILY PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION SHALL NOT ALLOW A
41 LICENSEE TO EXHIBIT SUCH SNAKE IN A SCHOOL HOUSING ANY GRADES PREKINDER-
42 GARTEN THROUGH TWELVE. THE DEPARTMENT SHALL ADOPT REGULATIONS CONCERN-
43 ING THE QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES OF REPTILE EXHIBITORS AND THE PROCE-
44 DURES FOR LICENSE ISSUANCE AND REVOCATION, INCLUDING REQUIRING A
45 LICENSEE TO ATTEND A FOUR HOUR COURSE APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT IN ONE
46 OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION:
47 1. CROCODILIANS;
48 2. BOIDS;
49 3. LARGE MONITOR LIZARDS; OR
50 4. VENOMOUS SNAKES.
51 S 7. This act shall take effect January 1, 2005; provided however that
52 the department of environmental conservation shall promulgate any rules
53 and regulations necessary for the implementation of this act on or
54 before such effective date.
.SO DOC A 2684F *END*

hmmm...Big brother is going to issue a "license" to allow you to keep boas, monitors, venomous, crocs...Aren't Burmese or Reticulated P Y T H O N S as dangerous???...and for "exhibition purposes", WTF exactly does that mean???...Seems a knee jerk reaction, probably with the last straw being the media hype around the guy with a collection of snakes and big cats in his apartment...think his dumb@ss got bit by one of his tigers...Irresponsible keeping rears it's ugly head...Sucks...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!