Short faces/long faces - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
ChuUtena
Short faces/long faces

Stop me if you've heard this before, but I've been noticing something with different leos faces. I've seen that some have very long heads, and others have short stockier heads. For examples i've found pics on breeders sites. I don't want ot post their pictures here without permission so I'll just put up links to the pics.

Kelli's
This one is, obviously, on of Kelli's and the face is very long, also:
Robin's
Robin has a younger one with the same long face.

Compare both of those to this one in the leo classifieds:
Other

So any thoughts? I can't seem to find any reasons, other than different genetics, but then the one in the classifieds claims to be one of Kelli's babies. So I'm confused, thoughts please!

Old 06-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
teddy bear
ive read in alot of care sheets, and seen alot of pics that showed males heads are shorter, and wider. while females are longer and narrower. kinda like pit bulls.
nevin

Old 06-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
josh06
Quote:
ive read in alot of care sheets, and seen alot of pics that showed males heads are shorter, and wider. while females are longer and narrower. kinda like pit bulls.
My males all have long heads, while my 2 short headed ones are Females, one being from Kelli....

Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
teddy bear
why is every one here obsessed with putting quotes????? as i said I READ. i didnt say they were. personally, all my males have short heads and my females have long heads, except for ecstacy.
nevin

Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
teddy bear
woops that last post came off nasty, sorry about that. its just that every one does the quote thing.
nevin

Old 06-22-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
josh06
Everyone does the quote thing so the everyone else knows who you are talking too and what you are talking about. If it bothers you so much, then

Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM   #7
ChuUtena
Well

Well the male/female reasoning doesn't work. Because all three of those leos are females. I understand the whole, male having thicker/larger heads but this stubby to stretched out head difference throws me.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
robin d.
kristen, i think you we are seeeing is not a morph but certain traits from the subspecies...... conesidering the leopard geckos on the market today are nothing more than pretty mutts no pure breeds)..... several subspecies have been bred together over the years and we see the different traits associated with some of the subspecies.
i have some leos with longer faces, some with shorter ones... i have some who's eye sockets sit a bit different or the eyes spaced farther apart (no not deformities).... you will see some long slendered bodied animals and then see some shorter chunkier ones and yet some inbetween... all with different hears and eye shapes and eye placement and also tail length.

it would be nice to get some local specific leos that are100% whatever subspecies they are suposed to be. as far as i know their are three known subspecies (but i think turcmenicus and angramainyu, might be subspecies as well) and i have a good feeling our elos we have today originated and have been bred into and the result is our morphed mutts.

Leopard Geckos of the World

go check that site out and even though you may not see the morphs check out the body build, head size, length and the eye shape and placement and you will see where we are getting all the unique body structures and different head shapes.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
diablohogs
Quote:
conesidering the leopard geckos on the market today are nothing more than pretty mutts no pure breeds)..... several subspecies have been bred together over the years and we see the different traits associated with some of the subspecies.
hmmm..... very interesting. thats it! im going to the middle east to collect wild specimens... if i get my friggen head chopped off at least it was for a good cause...lol.

its a big mystery because we cant just run over there and grab some leos. we really will get our heads chopped off. not to mention laws about exporting animals from india and such.

i wonder what the laws are concerning exporting leos from iran.... anyone know? justyn?

Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
diablohogs
i actually work with a few people who are from iran and they suggested looking into it via the adminstor of wild life. i suggested on thier next visit they fill a suitcase full of em...lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!