QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #91
WingedWolf
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?

Ball pythons, and a garter.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
Investment value, size, ease of care, attractiveness, temperament

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

Yep.

4. How tall are you?

5'7"

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?

No?

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

I'm not sure what this means. If you're asking if I would own one of the giants, or something venomous, the answer is no.

7. What is your age group?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #92
WingedWolf
8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??

Nope.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

Tentatively. I'll be making up an actual Will, though.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #93
GaiasPriestess
Well, I'm getting in on this thread quite late, but I'm sort of new here, and it's 6 am and I'm not tired and trying to think of reasons to not go to bed. So this is a good reason!

At the moment, only a 3' male ball python. In the past I have had corn snakes, a king snake, house snakes, a high pink BCI, a BCO, a Dumeril's (loved her, I'm so sad without her), more BPs, and took care of a Northern water snake and rough green snake that overwintered in my school's green house.

Diablo, the corn, was my first snake. He belonged to the brother of a girl I babysat, and he wanted to rehome him because he was moving. My parents wouldn't let me have furry animals, like most girls have, because they smell, but a snake was ok (good thing my mom's not scared of them). At some point between Diablo and Autumn, my first BP, I started working in a (actually very knowledgeable) reptile store, and got sucked in to the fascination of boids.
Xerxes, my current BP, is a rescue. He's got a pretty bad kink in his back about 2/3 down, we think either someone tried to smush him or dropped something heavy on him, or else maybe MBD. He shows no signs of pain or paralysis. I was not particularly looking for another pet when I met him, I was just visiting the reptile rescue lady to hang out, and she showed me her current adoptables. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the underdogs. I have a dog with no ears too, for the same reason.

Not really. The cats try to "help", I have to fend them off with a spray bottle or lock them in another room. The day I need help with a 3' BP is the day I'm getting buried.

4. How tall are you?
5'9"

Not really, moreso what I've had experience with, what needed me at the time, and what I can squeeze into this apartment.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Not at the moment... but the maintenance guy is creeping me out, so I might be getting a Dumeril's next year. My pit bull is too lovey to fool anyone (as usual).

26-40

Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #94
GaiasPriestess
8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship?
Never had them ruin a relationship. My husband has an aunt that hates snakes, and one of my grandmothers can't even stand to see an 8-bit digital one from a 20-year old computer game. Good for us they are relatives we don't like much.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
Having an RLT drawn up is definitely on my to-do list. Sam knows that if I die before him, he's in charge of taking care of all of the animals for the rest of their natural lives. I have detailed instructions for them all typed up on my computer, which I update when things change (like when my rabbit had to go on meds for cardiomyopathy).
Since my reptile collection is so small right now, I don't see why he couldn't keep Xerxes for the next 20-30 (or 40?) years. If it gets bigger, I'll tell him to work with Dr. Bruce to rehome them. I know he doesn't want to take care of a couple dozen reptiles alone for the rest of his life.
By the way, I definitely advise anyone with living animals to put them and any finances for said animals in an RLT (revocable living trust) instead of a will. Wills can be tied up in court for over a year, RLT's are pretty cut and dry, and much faster. I'd like to think the courts would not deny your dog money from your account with which to be fed until the will has been completed, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

10. Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?
Goals with Xerxes are simply to let him live out his natural life without having anyone try to kill him again. I do want to get into breeding P. anchietae, one of these days. Mostly I just enjoy having them, I've always thought reptiles were fascinating.

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?
I never really broke the news... I got Xerxes years before I met Sam. I also had a very pissy BCO when I met him, and a nice, laid back Dumie. He just was over at the house one day when I was taking care of the animals. Pretty sure that's how he found out. Then again, I met him through rat rescue, so it's not like he could say anything about me being weird.

12. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?
My friends are actually really cool with it. One friend in high school even let me keep a couple snakes at her house for a while (I wasn't supposed to have them and had no way of hiding them from my parents). Another friend got bit by the Northern water snake--the only time I saw that snake act pissy, ever--and she was still cool with them. But, well, they knew me long before they knew I had reptiles, so I guess it wasn't a real big surprise.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #95
chondrogal
This has been a cool thread, sorry I didn't respond a long time ago when I first read it, glad you bumped it back up Heather for a refresher look!! I'll look forward to updated answers and perhaps a few new members will add to it also. Here's mine:

1. I own quite a few green tree pythons and a red diamond rattlesnake currently. I continue to do rescue work so am open to almost anything except the giant boids on a temporary basis.

2. I was fascinated by the arboreal snakes when I was much younger and I had a dream back then "if I could ever afford one of those snakes I'd sure like one!!" For me this species was the most beautiful, exotic animals I'd ever seen.

3. I am blessed with WONDERFUL help for my snakes, my husband of over 30 years does as much work as I do to help maintain the collection. This was definitely my passion but he supports me 110%

4. 5'8"

5. My choice of snakes has nothing to do with age/size except that perhaps now with more age I am more financially stable and can now afford these?

6. Security/Safety nah.... I've got dogs that take care of that for me I do imagine that if the rattler was to go off it might slow down an intruder though.

7. 55 years old

8. My animal passion has been a non-issue in any relationships, the men in my life, both past and present always knew I was a little quirky. I did have a girl friend that was quite close as I got more deeply involved in these gtps. She was not able to understand my love for them and stopped coming to my home because she didn't like them. Wasn't even scared or nervous, just didn't like them.

9. Yes, I do have a will with instructions for all my animals.

10. My immediate goals are simply to enjoy the natural beauty of these snakes and to try to help other keep this species successfully. I enjoy raising beautiful babies and I do have my sights set on producing an albino gtp myself!!

11. Not single, but since I've got a fairly good sized snake tattoo it's pretty hard to not let new people I meet know about my passion. Most new people I meet are at animal related events anyways.

12. My friends, family are very supportive of my passion for reptiles. I've had more problems dealing with clients. I own a pet grooming salon and it's not a secret to many of my clients that I am also very involved with reptiles and am especially passionate about protecting our local species..... ESPECIALLY rattlesnakes. Many of them just shake their heads in disbelief and ask if there's any snakes in the shop (there aren't).
I do make sure that most of my clients are aware about the danger of our local rattlers to their dogs and promote the use of the vaccine available and let them know if they should find one in their yard to call me and I will come immediately and remove it so that animal control won't kill it. One client recently killed a rattlesnake that was minding it's business at a neighbor's home and he called me for help with identification. I was very upset and told him it was a DEAD snake that could no longer eat the vermin that would now be sneaking into the house and garage and chewing on their wires, leaving droppings around that can carry the Hanta virus in additon to lord only knows what else. I never did let him know that the one he had just killed was my favorite local species, the red diamond rattler. A couple of the clients are awesome and ask about the snakes every time they come in...... any more babies? new rescues? upcoming shows? They're great

Hey.... where was the tomboy question.... HECK YEAH!!! I would so much rather go play in the riverbed hunting for lizards and snakes anyday over playing with Barbie dolls!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #96
wstphal
I am coming to this thread late but here goes
3 corn snakes so far, more corns & other species to follow as budget & space permit.

What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
A friend gifted me with a corn snake years ago. It died unexpectedly (temps were OK, no regurgitation, dunno what happened). Very upsetting. I didn't get another snake for 10 years, then saw a craigslist amel... S/he is super sweet & I'm hooked!

Nope. I'm in a relationship but my partner will cuddle the snakes but not clean or feed.

4. How tall are you?
5' 5" Dunno what it has to do with snakes, though. I hope to add boas to my collection in the future when I have enough living space to provide proper housing to a BCI. Probably before that I will try to get a Dumerils or other smallish boa. Before that...

Nope. Just to do with my available space!

Nope. I think common sense is the most important factor in working with big boas or pythons. I don't ever see myself as having enough space to care for, say, a retic properly. But if I did have the space & $ I would certainly consider a retic. The poor things often end up outgrowing their living situations, after all!

None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #97
Artistry Exotics
Mostly ball pythons, also some corn snakes, kingsnakes, a couple of common boas, and two nicaraguan boas.

I've loved ball pythons since I was a kid. I used to volunteer in a museum, and one of my favorite snakes we had there was a ball python. After adopting my first, I fell in love with them all over again, especially when I started learning about the morphs. Cornsnakes I was drawn to by their personality. The Cali King I admired because of the colors. The rest were all by chance (the Desert King was picked out by my friend for me and the others were rescues). I'd have more boas if I had more space - I've come to really enjoy their personalities as well.

Not really. My boyfriend will occasionally hold snakes for me while I'm cleaning. Which is usually helpful... except for the time he let the male boa get stuck in the wire shelves we have... At least he'll listen to me ramble on and on about the reptiles, and sometimes even gives me feedback about my breeding plans and such.

4. How tall are you?
5'3"

Not really.

I think if I had more reliable help, I would be interested in having larger snakes. One little girl shouldn't deal with the big snakes on her own, and I can't really 100% rely on my boyfriend to help me handle them whenever I want.

15-25

I wouldn't say ruin. But sometimes they've been an arguing point.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
Unfortunately not in any way that would actually be helpful. I have a plan in my head, but it needs to be down on paper and legal and all of that.

First and foremost, because I enjoy them. I hope to breed the ball pythons because I love working with genetics and find the morphs so attractive.

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?
Not single, and when I first met my current boyfriend I just had two Leopard Geckos. If I were playing the dating game again... oh boy, I don't know. "My snake's bigger than your snake!" Hmm... :/

Most of my friends, especially my close friends, think it's cool. There are some that are more animal lovers in general than others of course. One of my best friends used to be deathly afraid of snakes. She'd run screaming in the other direction if she saw one in the pet store. She finally decided that she needed to get over her fear of snakes for me though, and bravely came over to the house one day, came in the reptile room, almost ran out when I took out a corn snake for her to pet, but in the end she not only pet the snake, but wound up holding her too. Now she's super excited about my snakes, and I brought her with me to my first reptile show and we had a blast.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #98
Omnomnami
Ball pythons, local garter snakes and albino banana king snakes

Not sure...I've loved snakes since I was a baby. Caught my first garter snake when I was 4-5 years old.

Financial help yes, physical help like feeding and handling...not so much. Lol.

4. How tall are you?
5'1''

Nope!

Nope! I've volunteered at the Zoo near my town and was taught to handle snakes very carefully.

15-25

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
I had a boyfriend that dumped me once he saw my room full of bp's and bd's haha

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass
My family and fiancee would be more than happy to take on my breeding plans or just find them loving homes

Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #99
kmrkvicka
Mostly boas (Bci, Bcc, Bca, Bcl, Bco), ball pythons, burms, afrock, retic, corns, bloods, a dum, carpets....

just the unique attributes of all of the different species of snakes are intriguing, and the requirements are so unique... it's a fun challenge, and I strive to make the best environment possible for each of my snakes

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)
My boyfriend wants NOTHING to do with my snakes... not a thing. My roommate (also female) is into snakes, so we help eachother out

4. How tall are you?
5'10

I don't think so

Unfortunately, not... I got many of these larger snakes before I had "live-in" help of my roommate. Luckily, I had many snake friends willing to come over and help whenever

26-40

www.iherp.com/katiem

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #100
Shieny
So far, I've got a desert kingsnake. ...Gotta start somewhere.. lol

I've always been fascinated by snakes. My mom never let anyone have one because she says that it's a sin to keep a snake (not sure what religion that is... lol). Ever since I got one, I knew there was going to be some kind of obsession...

Nope. My boyfriend just watches. He'd handle her, but I do the housekeeping.

4. How tall are you?
5'4"

I don't think so. I was thinking about getting a ball python, but my boyfriend urged me to get the desert king.

Not really. I don't think I would want a gigantic snake that I wouldn't be able to handle... I love the feel of them... so I'd have to be able to handle 'em.

I want more.... but boyfriend is stopping me.

Well, I don't even have a collection yet. lol

Well, hopefully one day I would be experienced enough to breed some cool looking colubrids. Not sure when that'll happen though..

Not single.. Boyfriend already had a chinese water dragon that really caught my attention at first. Then I realized how he can't be handled... which led me to snakes.

Almost everyone hates it. The family is tolerant of it... but they don't want me having anymore, either. I can't wait to get my own place so I could just fill it up with snakes.. -sigh-

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!