QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #21
Tiger Lilly

[quote=Mooing Tricycle;716322]
10)My question for people who want to answer it is....
Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

I keep balls because ever since I saw my first one and learned how laid back they are, I knew they were the snake for me. I like the fact that they are short & full-bodied (kinda like me), which makes them less of a handful to handle than my burms would be if I still had them. I love the new morphs that have come out--it just adds to the reason to be involved with them. I could be like a kid in a candy store if I could just pick out what I wanted...
My goals with mine are to hatch out some of the morphs I want so bad, rather than buy them--I feel like there would be more of a sense of accomplishment. I would also like to come up with the next new morph so I could finally have one that no one else does!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
Miss Tuniwha

Honestly..

I didn't choose.

Dameon was my first ball python.. she was a rescue.. then I rescued Prometheus.

Dameon is scarred to all h*** from the live rats being left with her for weeks on end.. (many know of the BP finicky eating habbits) the person said it was her own fault for not eating the rats before they started eating her

Prometheus was so dehydrated and starved she couldn't lift her head.

Both are great now!!!! (Prometheus even bred last year!)

and for the boas..

basically along the same lines.. I rescued my big girl, Phobos.

This started 10 years ago, and I just recently started the breeding thing

I want to see what different colours I can make and such.

goal? just to keep them healthy and "happy" Would be nice if I could breed them enough to pay for their upkeep though!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
h3llc4t
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?
20 corns of varying morphs.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
It's a species that my boyfriend is comfortable with. I've worked with a wide variety of species (former exotics veterinary intern) and have soft spots in my heart for many, but corns were a good starter snake for him to be around. I've previously rehabilitated balls and a Nicaraguan boa in the house with Kris around, and he's gotten more comfortable branching out since then.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
Some. My boyfriend is quickly learning how to clean and feed, but other parts of husbandry such as sexing and screening for any health problems are kind of my domain still.

4. How tall are you?

5'5"

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?
Only the slightest bit. Much, much more consideration is taken for how much room we have for caging.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Again, only a slight amount. An unsafe, uneducated keeper is the most dangerous factor, IMO. I do refrain from keeping snakes that I cannot handle by myself, however.

7. What is your age group?
15-25

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
It's never ruined it, but it has prevented some from starting. I'd rather be honest and explain that if they can't handle living with a room full of reptiles, it's best to keep looking because I am NOT the girl for them.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
Absolutely. All the critters need someone to properly care for them if something happens to me.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
AbsoluteApril
I'll play!

Mostly Boa Constrictor imperitor, some corn snakes and a few amazon tree boas (I currently have around 25 snakes in the 'snake room')

I started in '98 when I rescued a corn snake from my cat's vet office then moved into more rescues, mostly boas. Was interested in breeding so got a small group of corns. Decided to no longer do rescue and have been focused on boas for the past 8 years. Gotta love constrictors!

My fiance does likes reptiles (unlike all the other people I've dated). I tell him when I'm messing with any of my boas that are over 6' so he's aware in case something happens. Other than that, he will take a photo of me holding a snake if I ask. Haven't gotten him to clean cages yet... lol

4. How tall are you?

just shy of 5'6"

Yes, based on my size and strength, I would not feel safe with a snake over 12' by myself if something happened. Since I am getting married that may change but at this point, I'm sticking to it.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

Yes, same as above

26-40, I am 33

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??

How about a relationship ruined the love you had with a reptile? I adopted out my 3 yr old iguana because my EX forbid Wasabi from free-roaming and it wasn't fair to keep her anymore. Wish I had ditched the ex at that time instead. At least I know 'Sab got a good home.

My grandmother-in-law is scared to death of snakes, I have never met anyone with such an irrational fear before. When I first moved back to CA, I had to stay with her with all my critters, it took 3 weeks but I finally convinced her to let the snakes stay in the house in a locked room instead of in an un-heated shed outside. She had nightmares every night about snakes. She was so relieved when I got my own place, would not get within 5' of me when I was bringing out the solid-color tubs with critters in them, "just in case".

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

I need to make up a will but for now my fiance and my father know to contact certain people that would be able to sell/adopt out my snakes to good homes.

10.Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

I am fascinated by their behaviours, amazed by the variety of colors and love the ease of care (once set up correctly of course). I breed as a hobby and to *hopefully* produce some very nice quality morphs and normals. I'm not breeding for quantity (although I could). I breed to help the hobby pay for itself and to hopefully get a little extra cash tto buy or trade for other snakes. If I could one day turn this into a full time gig, I would but if it does happen it will be a long way off.

Fun thread, thanks!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #25
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post

Honestly..

I didn't choose.

Dameon was my first ball python.. she was a rescue.. then I rescued Prometheus.

Dameon is scarred to all h*** from the live rats being left with her for weeks on end.. (many know of the BP finicky eating habbits) the person said it was her own fault for not eating the rats before they started eating her

Prometheus was so dehydrated and starved she couldn't lift her head.

Both are great now!!!! (Prometheus even bred last year!)

and for the boas..

basically along the same lines.. I rescued my big girl, Phobos.

This started 10 years ago, and I just recently started the breeding thing

I want to see what different colours I can make and such.

goal? just to keep them healthy and "happy" Would be nice if I could breed them enough to pay for their upkeep though!

Wow!! Kudos to you for rescuing them!!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #26
timebider

Right now? Balls, corns, kings, rats. Hoping to get into bloods soon; used to keep GTPs, assorted boas and pythons, hognoses....scorpions, tarantulas...savannah monitors...geckos, chameleons....all kinds of frogs...etc., etc...

I like pretty much all snakes except the huge ones (if I wanna shovel horse-size crap, I'll go to the barn to do it LOL). I actively seek out what I like but a lot of stuff "falls into my lap" too. I'm attracted to loud colors and pretty patterns in my snakes - that's the girliest thing about me.

My son (age 7) loves them and helps out with husbandry chores.

4. How tall are you?

5' 7"

Nope.

Kind of. I'd love to have hots but that will have to wait till the kids are (much) older and/or out of the house. I also can't see myself having BIG snakes like burms and retics because of the kids - even if I wanted to, which I don't, because they just don't appeal to me.

I'm 36. Ugh.

My MIL thinks I'm crazy anyway so this just cemented her opinion of me. For that matter, the rest of my family except my dad and my own kids thinks I'm nuts.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass

Kids get to pick what they want within reason (and hubby's/guardians' ability to help care for them) - rest are sold and profits to kids.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
draigen
Oh Oh!! me next! ME NEXT!!

balls, a couple of boas, a king and various other pets.....minus the dog(need a yard first)10 and counting!

been obsessed with the strange from the get go, started herping at a young age with the neighborhood boys and my mum couldn't get me to girlify for all of her trying. All the snakes I have, have all grabbed my interest at one point or another, I just love them all to bits!

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

Yes actually! I seem to be the rare few whose family/sig other is more than willing to help. After all, it was the hubby's snake that got me onto boids

4. How tall are you?

5'4"ish

Eeeehhhh, kinda. My big girl is still growing, and I think she will be about all I want to handle, lol. As gorgeous as the burms and retics are, I don't think I'm ballsy enough to tackle those, not yet anyways!

heck no!!! I can't stop getting more, thankfully hubby just shakes his head, nods and smiles lol.

My parents think they are gross and dirty vile things and think we are mental for even raising the kids around them. Oh well, I'm not much of a dog person(meaning I got tired of treating them like people growing up) so I give them the same schpeel. They sneer and turn up their noses, but that just gives me more reason to not have to socialize with them

As for lovers, heck, I was introduced to the wonderful world of boids by my mate! RIP Arlo!

No, I don't have a "list". But what a wonderful idea! Although I really don't have to worry much, the hubby is more than capable and willing, and the kids love them(for now anyways), so I am sure they will be well looked after.

The boas I have I am planning on breeding at the end of the year(Thelma will be old enough and big enough by then) and hopefully*fingers crossed* get some snows, or at least some albies and anerys. I really became interested in breeding boas because i wanted to have little arlos slithering around because he was getting on in age (he lasted a wonderful 16 years), but sadly his gf had caught an RI when we moved to our new apt and never recovered, and never got him a new gf.

The balls I have because they are just to cute!! I love their littel puppy faces and their quirky personalities. They are so easy and laid back, and the kids love them. I do plan on breeding the little beasties when they get of age.

I also have a Caulker Cay boa that I plan on getting a bf for in the future(thats if Harald doesn't sell me his other pair) I got her as a pressie for the hubby, as he loves boas more than anything.

The black mexican king was another gift for the hubby(I am very good at paying attention to what he wants without him knowing). He's a spunky guy who we plan on getting a gf just because.

And my latest addition is a rosy boa. YAY!!! After many hours of driving aimlessly around we finally found the spot, so we plan on going back and getting a female so that we have a locality pair.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
hellokitty13
A rosy Boa and a Jungle carpet Python
They were free!! I got lucky
No I take care of them myself
4. How tall are you?
5'3
No I'm a Zookeeper and i take care of large snakes every day but i would not own any really large
I would not want very large snakes in my house a have a lot of other pets and a daughter it could eat
I'm 27
Nope the husband know what he was in for when he married a Zookeeper
Kind of i informed my kid that the tortoise will outlive me so it's hers when I'm gone. But really I have not thought of it much

Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #29
Abby
Currently, I only have ball pythons and Sumatran short-tails, but I've kept many colubrids, retics, Burms, boas, carpet pythons, anacondas and cool obscure stuff like candoia boas I'm hoping to add my first venomous snake soon, a rhino viper.

Well, I've always loved snakes, but I had colubrids before anything. I decided I wanted something that could eat larger prey and just be bigger in general, so I got my first ball python. Since then, I just decided to try out everything I thought was cool that I could afford and get my hands on. My favorites are easily reticulated pythons, blood pythons, ball pythons and candoia boas... But I only have balls because I need to focus if I want to ever get this breeding thing off the ground again

I don't need help with them really, but if I ask my fiance will help.

4. How tall are you?
5'7"

Not really, I've kept tiny snakes all the way up to the king of constrictors with no problem!

No, I just follow the rules with the snakes I'm involved with.

15-25
26-40
41-50
Older than that, but none of your business!
None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

There you have it!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #30
jenneses

Boas, corns, 1 black rat and one mbk.

Corns because of all the color variety, boas because I've always wanted one since I was a little girl and saw my first one. I was hesitant to get any, but a friend of mine kept showing pics of his boas, so I sucked it up and got 1 hog island (which I named after him) and then I just kept getting more.

No help, it's just me.

4. How tall are you?

5'4

Absolutely, I don't plan on getting anything bigger than a bci. I love retics, but I'd never get one because I know I couldn't handle it by myself once it's adult-size.

Yes. If I can't handle the snake alone, it's not really safe for me to keep.

26-40

If you love me, you should love my animals, or at least tolerate them. So far it hasn't ruined a relationship, but it does keep my mother away (which is a bonus).

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?

No I don't, but I should... I'll have to work on that.

I plan on breeding at some point. Ultimate goal for corns is a lavender pewter stripe, for boas hypo hogs and moonglows.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!