Choosing the Type of Euthanasia - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: Euthanasia - If necessary which method would you choose for your animal(s)?
I think cooling/freezing is the most efficient form of euthanasia and that it prevents suffering most efficiently. 23 34.85%
I think a swiftly killing is the most efficient form of euthanasia and that it prevents suffering most efficiently. 32 48.48%
I think that each method above is as efficient as the other, and that each equaly prevents suffering. 5 7.58%
I do not concern myself with whether or not an animal suffers during euthanasia as the ultimate goal is to end the overall suffering of the animal - so I just try to get it done in the easiest way for me to do it. 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #21
cornchips
I havent read all the reponses but seriously the most humane way to kill any reptile is by crushing the skull...Ive had to kill rabbits and seriously a blow to the back of the skull kills them so quick they never knew what happened, especially if you pet them and get them good and calm first..Since freezing takes alot of time it cant be that good, easy for the owner cause he doesnt have to look and see the death therefore its easier not to feel bad...CO2 works great on rodents and I use this method if I have to deal with live rats but it still takes more time then crushing the skull...I have a relative that has goats, he shoots them in the head to kill them, they stand there grazing on some bushes and bang they drop down without ever knowing what hit them...SPEED-Humane....If I were going to die Id prefer lethal injection but if that is not available just shoot me in the head...Big Key is doing it right the first time though, dont want something flopping around half dead thats not humane....Believe me though I dont feel good about killing anything and it gets easier but not better...

Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #22
kepster57
Co2 is the best way in my opinion, however this doesn't work so well with reptiles' slow metabolism.

I've just always believed that freezing a reptile is a bad choice unless it is very sick, and a millimeter from death, because it takes so long for the animal to actually die, and i assume the formation of ice crystals is painful as hell. If the animal is very sick, I'm sure it takes much less time to succumb.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #23
Hack the Maniac
From what I've heard, death from freezing is almost painless. The animals get cold, then get tired, start to warm up(at least that's what it feels like), and then simply fall asleep.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
kellysballs
I personally would take the animal in question to a vet and have the vet give them the lethal injection. It really does not cost very much and I feel better about it in the long run. So I could not vote on this pole.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
sham69
i personally feel freezing is not a good method. and it is by no means painless. perhaps the later stages of freezing is painless, but you have to get to that point first. i will bring it to the vet, i will administer lethal injection, or i will even dispatch it very quickly with a sharp blow before i would put a already scared animal in a fridge or freezer to not so quickly die. knowing that i have a dying animal in my freezer would be to much for me. my animals will go as fast and as painlessly as possible.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:24 AM   #26
ravensgait
Well since this old thread is back up again, I have a question for those who say they'd prefer lethal injection.. Have you ever had this done to a reptile?? The reason I ask is that I don't see how it would work well on a reptile or any cold blooded animal. It has to be injected into a large vein, in Mammals they use the jugular or the large veins in the forelegs. In Mammals with their much faster metabolism it is a very quick death I just wonder how quick it would be in a reptile.. Randy

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
kellysballs
I have to admit no I have only had a cat and a hairless rat put down at the vet. Both went quietly and quickly.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #28
sham69
in some cases a main vein may be hard to find on a rep or small animal. an im injection is first administered followed by a heart injection. in almost all cases an im injection is usually lethal. a vet will usually follow this up with heart injection. ive seen it done many times and would not hesitate to have this done to a dying or suffering animal in my care.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 AM   #29
ravensgait
Man some choice freezing to death or getting stabbed in the heart. I don't think there is any truly painless way to put down a cold blooded animal . I'd have to say choose the method you feel best about and try not to think to much about it afterwards. Randy

Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
hunting texas herps
I think freezing is the least painful way to go. I thankfully have only had to do it a few times in my 20+ yrs of keeping snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!