Red Iguanas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Scales N Things
Red Iguanas

Hi, I think I'm taking a shot in the dark here, I haven't been able to find any information on this subject except for a couple of theories and a lot of rumor. I just acquired a 1.1 pair of red iguanas. I know that it is Iguana iguana. I am just interested to find more information on the genetics of the red iguana. Is it recessive, dominant, co-dominant, locality dependent. I haven't yet spoken to anybody who had any evidence to found their ideas. I currently breed cornsnakes, leopard geckos and ball pythons for color and genetics. This guy and gal were just too good a deal to pass up.

Micky:

Malory:

Any information would be very helpful! Thank you!

John Sanders
Scales 'N Things . Com

Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 AM   #2
Laura
those are very pretty. are you planning on breeding them eventually? i would definatly buy one..... i wonder how they look as adults.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
Scales N Things
Hi, Thank you. I think they're beautiful as well. There is a picture at Fluker Farm's website of an adult. You can also google "red iguana" under images and come up with one or two. They're not very common at all. I've been looking for about 2 weeks for somebody who knows something about their genetics and I can't find anybody. The most reliable information I've been told is that it is simple recessive and they do breed true. I might not be breeding them just because of the overpopulation of green iguanas. They are indeed the same species, just a rare color morph. If you have any spare time to do some research, please let me know if you find anything out about them.

John Sanders
Scales 'N Things . Com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!