Who do you consider to be the largest "pioneer" in the business? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: What breeder do you feel has impacted the business the most?
Bob Clark 28 19.86%
Rich Ihle 2 1.42%
Peter Kahl 5 3.55%
NERD 21 14.89%
Mike Wilbanks 0 0%
The Baldagos 3 2.13%
Brian Sharp 0 0%
Ron Tremper 6 4.26%
Casey Lazik 1 0.71%
Morph King 0 0%
Sandfire Dragon Ranch 3 2.13%
The Sutherlands 0 0%
Mark & Kim Bell 7 4.96%
The Barkers 13 9.22%
other 52 36.88%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
KCRD.com
Who do you consider to be the largest "pioneer" in the business?

I was a part of a recent discussion that took place at a convention that I vended at and it grew into who we thought the largest contributor has been to the reptile trade since it's inception. The terms that were considered were, what did they introduce as far as morphs go, as far as availability goes, etc, etc. So I thought it would be nice to see what others thought as well.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
NiCoLe L RuSSeLL
Bert Langerwerf aka Agama International

Old 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
ms_terese
Do I have to vote for just ONE??? Sheeeesh, so many different animals, and so many varied contributions...I'm not sure I could pick one.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
chondrogal
I don't know anyone from outside the chondro world so just have to put in my .02 and give a vote for Trooper Walsh. Never a big time producer, but definitely a pioneer and accomplished a lot for my favorite species.

I am looking forward to seeing more results on this poll!

Old 07-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
evansnakes
It is kind of unfortunate that the options you have put in your poll contain many people who have been in the business or hobby very short term and have done little more than work with one species. What about the originators in the 60's and earlier who did this when there was no money to be made and not many genetic projects to work with? You seem to have been going by who is spending money on advertising or putting the most self promotional articles in magazines.

People like Mark and Kim Bell have been in this industry a very long time and have worked with many many species and morphs at the ground floor. But then how do you explain putting Willbanks and the Sutherlands in that same list? No offense to those people, they are very nice people have great looking animals, BUT what have they done and how long have they been doing it? You leave off your list people like Applegate from the old days and people like Barczyk from current times who have done so much more. I think you need to re-think your choices for your poll and maybe do some research into "pioneers". Evan Stahl

Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
IanV
hard question...

I think it is hard to narrow down to just one...
Bob did a ton for the hobby, but so has everyone else on the list, plus countless others.
If I had to pick one, I would most likely pick Kevin at NERD. He had a care sheet on ball pythons I found on his site in the 90's that introduced me to the correct way of caring for snakes. Up until then I was doing the old fashioned heat rocks and whatnot....

Ian

Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
reptilebreeder
I'm with Evan on this one. To me it's not who has the most morphs, or the neatest morph, it's the people who actually figured out how to keep and breed the herps. I was one of those who kept snakes back in the day, and every once in a while eggs showed up, some hatched some didn't, but it was mostly pure luck. Though I loved (and still do) herps, much to my chagrin, I didn't really put the effort into it that the pioneers did, to actually get to the "science" of successfully breeding snakes. Applegate already mentioned. Then of course there is Bechtel and his genetics work with corn snakes. Speaking of corn snakes your list seems heavy with people who work with balls, what about the Love's, and Rich Z. They've been around for a while and have made a living off of Corns, and morphs.....I can't even keep up with the corn morphs. Then there's the people who supplied "us" with snakes in the early days, especially "exotic" stuff, like Loius Porres.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
cornsnakekid92
I like how no one put Rich Z, he has done a lot for corns....

Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
I'm with Evan on this one. To me it's not who has the most morphs, or the neatest morph, it's the people who actually figured out how to keep and breed the herps. I was one of those who kept snakes back in the day, and every once in a while eggs showed up, some hatched some didn't, but it was mostly pure luck. Though I loved (and still do) herps, much to my chagrin, I didn't really put the effort into it that the pioneers did, to actually get to the "science" of successfully breeding snakes. Applegate already mentioned. Then of course there is Bechtel and his genetics work with corn snakes. Speaking of corn snakes your list seems heavy with people who work with balls, what about the Love's, and Rich Z. They've been around for a while and have made a living off of Corns, and morphs.....I can't even keep up with the corn morphs. Then there's the people who supplied "us" with snakes in the early days, especially "exotic" stuff, like Loius Porres.
Ditto.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
Ed Clark
what list

the list needs to be redone with a little more thought into the names on it.looks like a list of newbys that have done nothing more than reproduce others animals.i know this post will piss off a few people,to bad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!