The effects of ball pythons on the reptile community - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: "The Age of Ball Pythons" has effected the reptile community....
...in a more of a positive way than a negative way. 35 46.67%
...in a more of negative way than a positive way. 16 21.33%
...in an equal amount of positive and negative ways. 24 32.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
daniel1983
The effects of ball pythons on the reptile community

I have heard alot of different opinions on what the high increase of interest in ball pythons has brought to the reptile community over the last 5 years. The fact that ball pythons have greatly effected the community is without doubt.....but the way in which it has changed the community is unclear at times.

Some opinions are positive....some are negative.

For example.....

The idea of 'investment' animals appauls some....but the opportunity to earn money with a hobby appeals to others.

More people owning reptiles means more support on legislative issues....but more people owning reptiles means more legislative issues will be brought fourth.

Increased interest in ball pythons has caused some to 'forget about' other interesting reptiles out there.....ball pythons have opened the world of reptiles to some and sparked interest in other species of herps.

Those are just some of the opinions that I have heard.....please share any others that you may have.

I thought it would be great to get everyones' opinion on the topic.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
ByRandom
Well I think Ball Pythons are like most reptiles, they have positive and negative aspects. For me, it was the Satanic Leaf Tail Gecko, the holy grail! It's what got me started in reptiles to begin with. I think that Ball Pythons are what draw some people into the Reptile Community, which is awesome! The more the merrier, as they say. However, like any other pro, there is always a con. Ball Pythons have brought so many people into the community that it has spread over to the scammers!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
LadyOhh
Being a Ball Python person myself, I honestly feel that it is something that is a "segway" into other reptiles once new herpers get comfortable with the ball python. Learning reptile husbandry, knowing what to do and what to be aware of for a newbie is a great thing, and with Ball Pythons, I think it is a little easier to do. Most people tout it as a "beginner" snake, and so it seems like an appropriate market to boom.

With that being said, I understand that some people may resent the "ball python craze", but in a hobby that most people don't understand, don't you think it would be worth it to have more people interested?

I know that when I get more time and space, I plan on expanding into other animals. I find all reptiles fascinating, but since the Ball Python is easily available and just so cool genetically, it is where I decided to begin.

As for legislation, it needs to be viewed on a case by case basis. Different states are doing different things. More common knowledge of Herps will help the public see and view our community and the "Exotic" maybe more open-mindedly?

I like to think of the Ball Python as a positive boost for the community, as the more people that are interested and involved, the better for us as a whole. (Excluding the scammers, etc...)

Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
garweft
Negative.

For too many reasons to state publicly.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Cat_72
I think for the most part, it has been positive....they have really introduced more of the general public to the joys of having herps as pets, and as Heather said, the amazing amount of genetic variables make them a lot of fun to breed....and their smaller size compared to some of the other snakes that have been commonly available and generally mild temperament may be a good "ambassador" if you will to help us in opening the eyes of some of the more ignorant folks who think all snakes grow to be 20 feet long and eat small children.

I also believe that there can be a balance between "investment animals" and having them as a hobby, or pets. It's like any other high-dollar animal (show dogs, racehorses, etc).....when they cease to be living, breathing creatures and only dollar signs in someone's eyes that I have a problem with it. I have animals that were somewhat expensive, and do look at them as somewhat of an investment.....but they are all pets first and foremost. If it comes to choosing between the animal's welfare and making money off from it...well, the animal should come first. I've tried explaining this before with limited success....LOL. I hope that made sense.

I do think, however, that the attractiveness of them to scammers has given the whole fun of the breeding aspect a bit of a black eye, however....

Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
daniel1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft
Negative.

For too many reasons to state publicly.
Why not state the reasons? Afraid of being harrassed because of your opinion?

I find alot of 'other reptile' keepers dislike ball python owners.....why?

Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
i always thought they've done/are doing a lot of good for the reptile world. People can hold a ball python and say "Hey, hes not mean at all" and feel comfortable with a slow moving, docile snake ( not to say there arent the devil Ball pythons out there! :P)

I let small children hold my animals, and while worried parents look on, they see their children enjoying something new exciting and different.The too become interested themselves. I consider Ball Pythons a Gateway animal, and a great one at that. theyre easy to care for, friendly and hardy animals. not to mention beautiful!

While i caught and kept Garter and Ring necks as a kid, but a Ball python was my first snake, they brought me into this wonderful hobby!

I think they deserve a lot of credit!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
a Ball python was my Very own/not wild first snake, they brought me into this wonderful hobby!

I think they deserve a lot of credit!
*edit*

Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Newbpfanatic
As I mentioned on another forum, there is no negative in owning ball pythons, just the problems brought on by those simply owning them for money. Too many people in it for the "biz" and fighting for $$$ in one way or another.

All this fighting is the negative, IMHO.
Dan

Old 01-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
daniel1983
I really want to know where the 'hate' that I am seeing towards the ball python community from other reptile communities originates from.....for those that voted negative, please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
i always thought they've done/are doing a lot of good for the reptile world. People can hold a ball python and say "Hey, hes not mean at all" and feel comfortable with a slow moving, docile snake ( not to say there arent the devil Ball pythons out there! :P)

I let small children hold my animals, and while worried parents look on, they see their children enjoying something new exciting and different.
That is one of the reasons that I keep ball pythons....and even leopard geckos. If a reptile 'noob' or a child wants to see a snake or lizard in my collection.....I want to have access to something 'very friendly'.....not that my other reptiles aren't docile.....I just trust my ball pythons and leos more for that kind of situation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!