how to make a boa super tame? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
cornchips
how to make a boa super tame?

I have a new baby and want it to be super tame. I have had a boa in the past but had to rehome when my dh got sick. In hind sight she wasnt that reliable as a pet. Im sure its because I didnt handle her often enough.

So how often to handle with out stressing the snake? Daily seems a bit much but a few times a week maybe?
Is it possible to get her used to our dogs, kids and general daily life?
Also I would like her to be able to go outside with me(backyard) as well without being freaked so tips?

I currently keep colubrids and dont feel the need to worry about them being that tame since they are smallish.

Mostly I want her socialized so she isnt stressed from being a part of our lives.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I'm sure you're going to get lots of different points of view here, my personal one is to handle about once a week and don't worry if it takes a while - snakes work on a different time scale to mammals!

If you want her to be used to daily life I'd keep her enclosure in your main living area so that she gets used to movement without freaking out - if any animal is kept in seclusion it's going to be jumpy around sudden movements.

If you want it to be OK around your kids - train your kids! Mine are all handle-able by 5 year-olds - but the 5 year-olds have been taught to sit down, hold their hands in a way that the snake can latch on with its tail, think like a tree and don't move quickly, and never approach the snake's head from in front.

I'd never let it around dogs or other domestic carnivores - I know there are people that do, but it's too high risk for me. Even my cat, who doesn't even seem to realise they are alive, never gets inside the room while I am handling them.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
cornchips
Thanks. She is super mellow and doesnt seem very nervous so I think that she is a good candidate for being a good "animal ambassador" in the long run.
She is currently in a rather quiet room so I will have to move her after she has acclimated and eaten.

I was actually worried more for the dogs being seen as food.If she is used to them while she is so small then maybe she wont want to eat them later
They are all smallish, 12lbs or so.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Yeah, it's kind of a trade off as to who might eat who with the mixed pets thing.

I have a small cat. When the snakes were little I worried that the cat would go for the snakes if they were around each other (she's a mighty hunter of house geckos). Now I think either might give the other a hell of a fright, but as I say the cat doesn't even seem to recognise the snakes are animals, at least while they are inside their tank. She never encounters them out of it.

I do make sure not to handle the cat immediately before handling the snakes - after all she is a warm furry mammal and I don't want any feeding animal smell confusion, more for the sake of my hands than the cat.

Personally I'd never let a snake out around small mammals. I do take my snakes outside, now that they are very used to being handled - I handle them inside for a while, and once they are over the exploratory thing and have settled down onto my shoulders I feel OK to walk out on my deck with them - but I'd never approach the cat at that time.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Just thought I'd add one more thing: I try and time my handling sessions around the snake's feeding schedule.

I don't handle when they are hungry, or immediately after they have been fed, and I try to stay away from days when they might be about to defecate, as moving around more during handling will, sure as sh**, lead to sh**.... (learned that the hard and messy way), so it might be a good idea to record feeding and defecation times for a while before you begin a lot of handling.

For example my current adults are fed once every 2 weeks, and usually defecate about 3 - 4 days after feeding, so my prime handling time is between 5 and 10 days after I fed them last.

I'm sure that's overthinking it, but I got sh** on a lot, and nipped occasionally while I was working this out, so it may help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!