I am so sad I am sick Picture heavy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
akaangela
I am so sad I am sick Picture heavy

I have a beautiful corn. She used to be ruby red and nice and fat. Well about 6 months or so ago she started regurgitating her meals. So I decided to put her in quarantine. She didn't want to eat. Other than not eating she was her usual self and I thought it was just breeding season. After a few months she ate a very small rat. She was getting skinny and my concern for her was mounting. I have been sick for the last two weeks and other than giving her water I have left her alone. Well yesterday I got out of the hospital and I decided to check on her and offer her some food. When I opened her tub I was horrified. Her entire bedding was soaked in green gunk. She stunk really bad. I cleaned out her tub and when I picked her up I noticed 3-4" of her tail looks like it has gotten gang green . She looks horrible and I am very very sad. I have to wait till friday (payday) to get her looked at, but my roommate said there is no point to even taking her in. I called the vet and he said from the sound of it there is not much he can do, but is willing to look at her.

Here are a few photos of her....

Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
StrictlyExotics
Couldnt have happened to a nicer person

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
DAND
From the vent down or below the vent?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
akaangela
it is about 1/2 inch below the vent.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Helenthereef
I have snakes that have lost their tails that close to the vent and survived it. They were wild caught and already healed, so I don't know how - but I do know they can live without their tails, so if it is gangrenous, amputation may still save her life.

However of course that doesn't address her not feeding and "Green gunk" - you must get her to a vet ASAP. So sorry for you.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
akaangela
I lost Serious. I am so sad. She was such a beautiful girl. I will miss her.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
bamagurl76
I am so sorry for your loss. Do you know what caused it or anything yet?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaangela View Post
I lost Serious. I am so sad. She was such a beautiful girl. I will miss her.
Are you still going to get with the vet? Is your other corn showing any signs of the condition? Were they housed together or nearby?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
akaangela
I am not going to take her in to see why she died. She was not housed with my other corn and he is showing no signs of being ill. I am hoping that he will stay healthy. I have moved him into quarantine just to be on the safe side. I wish I could afford to take her in, but I have to save the money in case Corny get sick. So far he is not showing any signs of being sick. He is keeping all his meals down and is as active as ever.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Melinda
So sorry about your snake. I had a similar experience with a corn last summer. My girl did not bloat, so I don't think it was a blockage. I believe, somehow her circulation to the area was compromised and the affected tissues rotted. I had to put her down. I don't believe there was anything that could have prevented what happened. I also don't believe it was catchy. Just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!