two corns in one cage? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
akaangela
two corns in one cage?

Can you put two corns (of the same sex) in one cage? How big dose that cage have to be for them to be comfortable? How often is too often to handle your corn? How fast should the gain weight? I have read a lot on the corns but cant find answers that match up. Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
snakebiteAZ1
Corns

You can keep corns together, they won't eat each other, but they are less stressed if they are in their own cage, plus it makes it easier to feed them, although i take mine out of their enclosure and feed them in a different container.. It's best not to overfeed them, they do gain weight relatively quick though!!! If you keep two together they should be fine in a 30 or 55 gallon size container!! about the handling part i guess as often as you like, but i would not bother them more than a couple times a day.. Good luck and have a nice weekend!! Mike L.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Traci1
a thread about housing snakes together...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17224

Old 01-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebiteAZ1
You can keep corns together, they won't eat each other
There is a possibility of cannibalism. Mike you may want to check out the thread too.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17224

Old 01-27-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
paulh
Two females or a male and a female will do better together than two males, IMHO. Feed separately to minimize the chance of cannabalism, of course. And some corn snakes do much better alone than paired up. That's what they call individual differences.

IMHO, minimum for one corn is a cage with a floor area equal to that of a cage half as long and a quarter as wide as the snake is long. For each additional snake, minimum is minimum floor area for the largest snake plus 25%. Bigger that that is better, of course.

IMHO, a corn that is tame and well adjusted to captivity can be handled up to two hours a day every day. Skip handling the day after feeding, and possibly two or three days after a heavy meal.

I can't say about weight, but an adequately nourished corn should double its hatching length in the first year and triple its hatching length by the end of the second year. Power feeding can grow them faster than this. Hatching length is in the 10-13 inches range.

Various peoples' experience and preferences can differ. But, IMHO, the Loves' The Corn Snake Manual is the single best source of info about corns that I know of. If another source has a major disagreement with Bill and Kathy, ask about it on one of the corn snake forums.

Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!