What Monitor for me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Heykid
What Monitor for me?

Hello all! I have been keeping snakes for awhile now and I would like to expand outwards into other Reptiles. I've done a tiny bit of research and I think some sort of monitor would work great for me. I'm wanting to be prepared to get one in a couple of years (when I get a house!) and I was wondering if one of you could point me in the direction of what monitor might be right for me. Here is what I'm looking for/hoping for/interested in:

1. A monitor that has the potential to be dog tame to just mostly tame (a bit of an attitude isn't a problem)
2. Size isn't an issue...although I would prefer something that wouldn't get too much larger than 7ft (if there is such a monitor...I'm pretty much a novice at this point)
3. Something pleasing to look at (aren't they all though?)
4. Really all I want is a nice looking monitor with an interesting personality that isn't going to eat me

Any suggestions? Also if you suggest a monitor please state why.

Also would a tegu possibly be a good choice? why/why not?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Wilomn
This is probably NOT the right monitor for you at this point in time, but you can get a baby when you're ready and have one just like him.

I've kept a few species and this is far and away my favorite.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=97167

Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
boybronco
Tegus are great choices. I find that other than space their care can be easier. I've no experiance really with either but it seems like Tegus (B&W Argentines) are a bit more "Tamable" than most monitors. Also you get to avoid buying WC and get a CB B&W Tegu. As far as the best monitor to start Ackies are the way to go. They are expensive initially but can be kept in a much smaller cage and in groups (if introduced at a very young age) usually.

If you want something larger I guess a water would be ok as I've heard good things about them in general and they get larger, 7-9 ft I think but mostly tail. I dont really know much about them because keeping one was never an option for me. Also I think some people breed them so you can get CB.

Really I think you should look @ the tegus and the ackies to start.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Heykid
Okay...so Ackie, Tegu, Water Monitor...I guess I will start my search there then! Thanks.

Oh and Wes, that is a sexy monitor!!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
constrictorcrazi74
if u do get a tegu or monitor i would stay away from feeding them live . the more live u feed them the more aggresive they will be because they have to kill it i would say savanna monitor stay small and tame out like dogs

Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
woodsman
BlackThroat Monitor. Its within your size limitation. They can be calm monitors. Check out some care sheets.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!