WANTED: Paddletail Newt or ACF - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Amphibians

Notices

Old 08-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
El Brodie
Post WANTED: Paddletail Newt or ACF

Hello! I joined this forum so I could possibly find an animal that needs to be rehomed. Online businesses and chain pet stores have their drawbacks and as a relatively inexperienced amphibian keeper I figured I should consult the experts. If someone could point me in the direction of a reputable breeder/dealer (I don’t know the terminology) that would be excellent. Or if one of you lovely folks has a paddletail newt or ACF they are looking to rehome, that would be ideal. I have done in depth research on both species and have a 10 gallon aquarium set up and cycled with their needs in mind (minor adjustments will be made depending on which species I can find) I do have a heavy preference for a paddletail over an ACF but I understand there is some sort of ban on newts right now? Any relevant information would be incredibly helpful. Thank you for your time!
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Scotland16
Pachytriton or “Paddle tails” are almost never sold, they are extremely hard to breed and it’s never been done in the states with documents to prove. Even orientalis or fire bellied newts are hard to find. All the “pet store” newts are very hard to find and you are better off going with a less rare and expensive newt, since you are a beginner

Old 08-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Brodie View Post
I do have a heavy preference for a paddletail over an ACF but I understand there is some sort of ban on newts right now?
Good advice from Scotland16. It might be added that species that aren't being bred and are in danger of disappearing from captivity should only be in the hands of those who are actively and capably breeding them.

The ban you're thinking of is an import (into the US) ban on newts and salamanders that is unlikely to be lifted (unless society further descends into insanity, a possibility that is up in the air at this point). It is in place to prevent the importation of Bsal, which would decimate US wild salamander populations.

So all the previously universally WC species aren't available since the market wanted cheap imports and no one was motivated to breed them just to give them away for less than they cost to produce. (This all applies generally to exotic animals, not just newts. Buy CB even when it is financially foolish to do so, and the future will thank you.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
acf, paddletail, wanted