What happened to BOI???? - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #101
JasonG
Can I ask a question. How many gigs of bandwidth does this site use monthly?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #102
MedusaCoils
What about creating a "Defend Rich from Frivolous Law Suits" Fund? Something we can contribute to directly.

Wayne

Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #103
Wolfy-hound
I contribute as much as possible(Groo does too!), and if I ever win the big lotto, Rich has been near the top of the list for a long time.

The BOI is a one-of-a-kind resource. If people like Allen COULD run a site like this, then he would already have such a site. There's only one BOI for a reason, no one else can do it, and I have no idea what sort of superman Rich is to be able to run it himself.

I will be sad if the BOI goes away, but I would not want a dime back that I've contributed. I'd consider it money well spent, paying back some of the money, time and effort Rich has put out.

I hope more will contribute. Just about every site I go to reccomends people come to the BOI, and hopefully they will help raise contributions.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #104
Tiger Lilly
All I can say is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Lets hear it for the Big Meanie!!!!!
AMEN, MY BROTHERS, AMEN!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #105
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Can I ask a question. How many gigs of bandwidth does this site use monthly?
I have no idea. I'm on my own server, so I don't really worry about such things. I actually have two servers to try to distribute the load. Stuff like the topsites script and the FaunaAds script (as well as the GGC banner links) take a toll on a server, so I try not to put everything heavy duty on one box. I certainly would like to consolidate to one server, but my server guy doesn't think it would be a good idea.

The server for FC is on a fortified network and my server guy specializes in defeating DDoS attacks, so he is constantly checking things over for exploits hackers can use to gain access to the server. He is the guy that pulled this site out of the fire when it was under a DDoS attack a while back. Everyone else in the data centers I had the server couldn't do a thing. If I had simply been hosting with someone, they would have just null routed my IP address and been done with it. That's what one of the data centers I was at did to keep the DDoS attack from affecting their network. They got pretty agitated when I gave my server guy the keys to the server and within 15 minutes had completely nullified the attack. Made those other techs look like buffoons. If you are going to do this sort of thing, you NEED to have expertise under your belt or within yelping distance. You all have no idea of the number of glitches and crap that goes on behind the scenes with an internet server.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #106
JasonG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I have no idea. I'm on my own server, so I don't really worry about such things. I actually have two servers to try to distribute the load. Stuff like the topsites script and the FaunaAds script (as well as the GGC banner links) take a toll on a server, so I try not to put everything heavy duty on one box. I certainly would like to consolidate to one server, but my server guy doesn't think it would be a good idea.

The server for FC is on a fortified network and my server guy specializes in defeating DDoS attacks, so he is constantly checking things over for exploits hackers can use to gain access to the server. He is the guy that pulled this site out of the fire when it was under a DDoS attack a while back. Everyone else in the data centers I had the server couldn't do a thing. If I had simply been hosting with someone, they would have just null routed my IP address and been done with it. That's what one of the data centers I was at did to keep the DDoS attack from affecting their network. They got pretty agitated when I gave my server guy the keys to the server and within 15 minutes had completely nullified the attack. Made those other techs look like buffoons. If you are going to do this sort of thing, you NEED to have expertise under your belt or within yelping distance. You all have no idea of the number of glitches and crap that goes on behind the scenes with an internet server.
Just some advice... Find a better server provider. Ddos attacks are so 90s and can be stopped by simply shutting off certain ports.

If you arent using more then 10mbps then you shouldnt need to load balance your site. 10 mbps is nothing in todays market. You can get a decent box with 30 mbps for $300 a month. That would rock this site's performance. That and a new beefier backend/script...

But dont take my word for it...

Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #107
Uroboros
Make note, Rich. The dispute I just sent though Paypal was for the year in advance I purchased, not the current. Unless you want to give that back, too.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #108
KathyLove
Sorry to hear of the possible / probable imminent demise of the BOI...

but I am not too surprised. You (Rich) have been discussing it for a long time.

Although I rarely buy from unknown people over the Net, I still like to look up new contacts, and to have an insider view about what is going on in our business. The BOI is primarily the reason I come here, although I sometimes read a few of the other business related forums, such as shipping and shows, etc. I would probably mostly stick to CS if the BOI disappears (hopefully CS will last forever, or at least as long as I last!).

I can understand why small hobbyists may not contribute if they seldom buy online. But I can't understand why anyone in this as a business (or anyone who buys online a couple or more times per year) would not contribute if they even MIGHT occasionally use the BOI to possibly save themselves from a disastrous transaction. Although I am generally more of a lurker than poster on FC, I can certainly see the value in such a cheap insurance policy.

As others have said, you have to satisfy yourself first - it is your retirement, and your life. I hope you find a way to save the BOI, but you certainly should feel no guilt or obligation to continue to fund other peoples' needs instead of caring for your own, as you exit the live animal part of the business to start your retirement.

Isn't it possible for a lawyer to set up an airtight corporation that sequesters the assets and liabilities of this site to limit liability to only those assets? Seems like there should be some way to protect all non-Fauna assets from anything that happens from the BOI.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #109
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
Make note, Rich. The dispute I just sent though Paypal was for the year in advance I purchased, not the current. Unless you want to give that back, too.
Hey Erik, The BOI isn't shutting down today. Several or signing up today but your requesting a refund? Were here trying to make this work and trying to keep everything running in the future and you are already packing your bags?

Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 AM   #110
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
Very disappointing Erik.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!