Egg issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
GottaLuvHerps
Question Egg issues

Ok, I have an odd issue that I am not sure how to deal with.

I have a 3-4 year old female dragon (Zeke) who has laid perfectly good eggs for me last year for her first time breeding (2 clutches in July and August), got beautiful babies, and everything was fine. So we put her back with the same male this December (Ramses), and have had nothing but issues with the eggs. I do not force my dragons to brumate, and she chose not to go down this winter (as usual). The male did a semi-brumation on his own.

She is laying about every 50-60 days (not the usual 20-30), and is dropping clutches of about 25-29 (bigger than her 17-21 last year). So far I have had 3 clutches this year (January, March and May). And every time, EVERY egg in the clutch goes bad within 2 weeks. This time around, she laid 28 for us on May 28th, and over half of them were deflated when she laid them, and the others are not looking good (deflating, molding, turning yellow, etc). I keep the eggs until I am 110% positive they are bad, but I have a feeling this is another clutch down the drain. And that is no fun because her babies are BEAUTIFUL!

I have since put her back with the male to see if it is a fertilization issue. I have a theory that maybe she is holding the eggs too long? She doesn't ever dig to show she wants to lay - I usually catch it because she drops 1 or 2 in the cage (or in this last case, in the bath), put her in the laybox, and it takes her another 2-3 days to lay the rest. She eats like a pig, is very healthy, and has no issues outside of this one.

My incubator is a self-made converted freezer, temps are 82-84 (depending on the time of day), vermiculite bedding moistened and squeezed, shoebox tubs with lids, moisture level not above the top of the vermiculite, aired out once a week or so (depends on how often I check her eggs)...I have other eggs in the same incubator, same setup, and have no issues at all with those. This is the same incubator I used last year and hatched out 5 perfect clutches between 2 dragons, including her eggs.

Any ideas on what could be going on? Anyone else had this problem? Is she just past her prime? I have no issues retiring her if I have to, as she is a pet first. I do have 3 other pairs this year giving me babies, but since she was my first dragon, it would be nice to have something to carry on her legacy down the road (same feelings towards the male, as he was my husband's first dragon).

Thanks for your time!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Has the male bred with other females before? Has this pair been bred before? Might be a fertilization issue......

Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
GottaLuvHerps
This male has not bred with other females before, but he is the father of the babies from last year with this female. I don't have any other available females for him to try it out this year (all my other females have their "men" and have been bred).
My biggest thing is why the 60-day laying thing? I am wondering if it is the issue, combined with fertilization?
Thanks Alicia!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
I was mostly wondering * not that ive personally read about it yet, at least... Though im sure it can happen* if the male was sterile or something. ( LOL im sure someone will make a joke, Why does it always gotta be the guy!! har har)

Im no expert though, but just trying to help you fish for some answers too

Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
GottaLuvHerps
Males can be sterile, but I don't think that is the case with this guy since he was proven less than a year ago. But good thought...

I am just lost. I went and looked at the eggs today, and over half are deflated and look terrible. The other half are showing yellow, no pink like they are supposed to. Maybe putting them back together will work for another clutch...

This is so frustrating sometimes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!