Sulcata free range thoughts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Mech
Sulcata free range thoughts

Greetings all,
So this past warm season I changed out my tort habitats.
I went from a 100 ft x 7 ft block enclosure with a divider to 2-20 x 20 foot welded fence with proper hides and shade systems for my 2 fair sized torts.
The welded fence sections are the stuff you can get at Home Depot that are strong and look real nice when welded to properly anchored metal post.
Being that this is a temporary system I secured it by hammering down some rebar and using heavy zip ties to join the sections.
Well my torts are stronger than that and they can knock the sections down.
At first it really scared me.
But then they would not leave the area.
They know what time food is served.
One of our best friends let’s her 20 plus inch tort free range in the summer and it seems like an idea that would work for us.
They have a couple acres of well fenced yard.
We have 3/4 acre of the same.
Kinda scary to let them roam but it seems like it would work for the warm season.
They get fed like clock work and know it.
One is about 14 inches and one a lot larger.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
Andy

Old 08-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
Lucille
People in my area do that. But it seems like there at least a couple of lost and found sulcata ads every month.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Mech
Hi there Lucille,
Please accept my Apology for my late reply.
Thank you.
You point is well taken and it meant a lot to me.
I Could not’t let them roam at this point and feel comfortable about it at this time.
How ever I do think if I can manage a better boarder I will consider a free range area for a portion of my land in the future for the hot season , after I supply a better environment.

My torts have been returned twice from my Neighbors and as nice as they are I am not liking that.

How ever I am concidering on letting them roam for a portion of the year.
I am considering of putting my cell phone number on the out side of their shell with a sharpy pen.
Yeah ...I know kinda “yucky”.
We live in a “ranchett” style type community.
Our closest neighbors are about 200 feet away.
Thoughts?
Thank you.
Andy.
P.S I for some reason my cell phone would not let me correct my typos and for that I oppoligise.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
motero
They need a block fence, or they will continue to visit far away places.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #5
Tortoise Tom
They should never be roaming loose. Not unless you want to lose them in one of many ways. They need to be in an enclosure. Also 20x20 is too small, and they need a visual barrier, not open fencing or chain link.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!