Telemarketers ...please read - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:23 PM   #81
E2MacPets
I had the displeasure of having the Police Benevolent Association call today.

First I pick up the phone.. "hello?" I hear people talking in the background "hello?" still hear it, assume it's a telemarketer calling me with a really bad connection. "hello?"

"mr beckerman?"

"yes" (my first mistake)

"this is .... we'd like to let you know about.."

"i already donate"

"well i'd like to tell you about a package we have and.."

So it wouldn't be so bad if the computer he was reading his script from was so lagged that I already heard the majority being read by the person in the next station over while he was waiting just to find out the name of the person he connected to....

argh

Old 04-10-2003, 05:24 PM   #82
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Monica, wow, thanks for the oh-so intelligent jibe against my use of a quote from Bran's freestyle. Great google-moogle I better change my quote AND my thoughts on telemarketers!!! Thanks for showing me the light...oh wait...uke:

Telemarketers are professional time wasters and annoyances. They get paid to annoy and waste peoples' time.

They cannot give that time back. Even if it wasn't much trouble to answer the phone to say, "No, not interested," it is obviously more trouble than I wanted to go through at the time. They can't give me that 60 seconds back. They took away a piece of my life for absolutely nothing.

So, should telemarketers EXPECT to have some irate people on the other end of the line sometimes? YES. Does it make it right that people yell at them? No, but it is part of the job and they should toughen up. And if they CAN'T, then there are PLENTY of other options available(don't give me that disabled no choice BS, there is ALWAYS a choice, ALWAYS. It just depends on if you are willing to look at them all.).

Old 04-10-2003, 07:14 PM   #83
Monika
oh my.... now your going to get on to me for saying something about that... hah thats funny... too bad i own cky's cd and the videos landspeed cky2k cky 3 and cky 4 cant even joke about crap... thats so nice of you... but hey if you had to listen to the song 50,000 times a day from the people you live with because they are just now getting to hear it... i think you would scream too

Old 04-10-2003, 07:26 PM   #84
Asuncion7
Question Telemarketers

Well I've been on both ends of the phone line and quite frankly was embarrassed when I was on the "dry calling" end of it.

I get, and this is not an exaggeration, 10 telemarketers calling a day. I tell everyone, take me off your list, but it doesn't end there, I have to then hear their take me off your list speech and agree and then be told it'll take a while yadayada... then 2 weeks later I'm still getting calls from the same place.

I do have caller ID, caller ID anonymous call rejection, call screen and the like, each of which is costing me $3.50 to have. I also had something called privacy manager, which actually worked for the telemarketers, but most of my family couldn't get through, so we cancelled that.

My most recent telemarketer said, they want to send something free, and then added they would send some info regarding long distance service. I told them I didn't want the long distance service but if they want to send free stuff ok fine. Well I though that was the end. Until I check my bank statement 2 weeks later and have a $60 charge. I won't even begin to tell you what I had to go through to find out who this charge came from. Well surprise surprise, it's from that little telemarketer who called the other day. I NEVER GAVE THEM MY CREDIT CARD!!! I finally talk to someone and they tell me, oh we have your card on file!!! Mind you I've never even heard of this company. Needless to say, I flipped out told them to take my number off their list, and give me my money. Oh well that was another ordeal!!! I finally filed fraud charges and got my money back.

Situation like this are why many react the way they do to telemarketers, like I said, I've been on both sides and have to say was very disappointed in the way it works.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:48 PM   #85
Glenn Bartley
I just saw this thread, and have only read the initial entry. All I have to say, and I hope I am not echoing someone else's sentiments, is that I am sick of telemarketers being a pain in the butt over my phone, even after I have nicely said no thank they keep pestering. I have already had one call back just to make sure I meant it. Yes I say 'not interested' and no thanks' and 'sorry but not now' and 'remove me from your calling list please' but certain ones keep calling. I just received a call the other night at 1130 PM when everyone else in the house was asleep! That one got me PO'd but I was still nice. I have also tried my states 'no pest call' service, with little success as I still get these calls.

NOW YOU HAVE THE UNMITIGATED AUDACITY TO TELL US THAT IF WE DON'T LIKE THESE CALLS TO GET A PRIVATE LINE. Screw yourself into a light socket or something and turn on the juice please. See the light! A private line does not makle any difference as numbers are now selected by random via computer from among active exchanges. All they do is feed in the first three numbers aftet the are code and the computer spits out lists of all possible numbers in that exchange. Maybe your service still uses a phone book but not the big guys.

You may be well intentioned but I do not appreciate your unmitigated gall in telling people how we should react to pest calls. If you don't like how we react find another job! Do you like that suggestion - I bet not - just as I disliked yours to me. Too bad I don't have your number - I know more than a few people who would be quite willing to disturb your dinner each night.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #86
Glenn Bartley
By the way, when you use all caps repeatedly in making a point on a forum like this, it is akin to yelling really loud for a long time. It is considered rude and uncalled for. So who are you to tell us how to act on the phone, when you do not have online manners to begin with?

Old 04-10-2003, 08:53 PM   #87
Seamus Haley
Glenn,

I just needed to chime in with my appreciation for your post, I agree 100%

Old 04-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #88
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Excellent post Glen, excellent.

Old 04-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #89
Missymonkey
Wow, long thread!!!

I was a telemarketer for three weeks, it didn't pay well, but I was a freshman in college and it paid better than minimum wage, so I was interested in it. My company was trying to sell Kirby vacuums. They cost a small fortune, but are apparently sturdy and durable and can be changed to buff hardwood floors. However, I don't like the idea of spending $2,000 on a vacuum. There where people there who had been calling for years and where making good money off of it. Most often the money was made off of sweet little old ladies, that really got to me, what little old lady is going to need an expensive heavy vacuum, really? I got sworn at and called lots of different things, but I expected it, my dad was never really too nice to telemarketers so I knew what I was getting into. And yes, there were lots of nice people too, who just said no and hung up. I liked it when I would call some young sounding man, who would try to hook up with me, how almost cute We didn't call off of a computer list, so those zapper things didn't really work because we couldn't be zapped. I always took people off the list when they asked to be, you just realise that you'll never be able to get this person to buy a vacuum so why bother in the future. The most effective way of getting off the list, (at least if I was calling you) was when I was told that the person I was asking for had just died. Ouch, I didn't want to mess with that, so I just crossed them off the list. I eventually had my life threatened by someone I had called, that freaked me out, and I imagine that you all would agree that that is just pushing the rudeness a little to far. I was one of those happy telemarketers, I hate getting calls from telemarketers who sound like they are doing this for the millionth time and aren't putting any effort into it, I always tried to be more personal, without invading privacy or prying. But the job sucked, there was a lot of pressure to sell, I didn't have the heart to push these big expensive vacuums on people, so I quit. Yes it may be the perfect job for some people, and sure I can see how it may be the best fit for disabled persons with few skills or other impediments (learning disabilities, fear of crowds, etc) but it wasn't for me. I never admit to being a telemarketer (face to face that is I don't see this as counting because you guys can't give me the bad looks I would usually get) because no one likes a telemarketer. That's not to say that I wouldn't like that person, but the telemarketer in them I wouldn't.

If that makes any sense to anyone then yahoo...

As for rudeness, it is expected but not really necessary, from the telemarketer or the person being called.

Old 04-11-2003, 06:08 PM   #90
Asuncion7
Hey, I got one of those Kirby's!!

I just bought one of those Kirby's from a door to door guy!! We only paid $800 though. That gross test with showing the dust and grossness in the carpet sold us (we have 5 kids, one of which is only 15 months), well sorta, we weren't about to give them $2,000, we dealt with them for about 5 hours and finally they sold it to us for $800 (with the carpet shampooer too) Anyhow, I usually can't stand the door to door guys either, but unlike the telemarketers they don't usually come back!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!