Want a Big Brother/Sister to help guide me - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Lucille
Want a Big Brother/Sister to help guide me

I have to be honest (I am always honest) and say that as much as I have used the Internet, I have not achieved any real sophistication in computer use. I am finding that my lack of computer expertise is now keeping me from accomplishing as much as I could at home, work and school; and yet when I have made the effort to try to find sites that will help me, I really do not understand a lot of what they say.

If any of y'all have a little computer expertise, and a lot of patience, I would appreciate someone who could point me to appropriate teaching sites and maybe answer occasional questions.

I felt shy about asking this, but then realized that we all have to begin somewhere; and perhaps a facility for computer use might even help what I do here. I promise not to take a lot of anyone's time, but I would be so grateful for a computer mentor, or even just some site suggestions.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
DAND
What are you trying to improve on?

Old 01-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
Lucille
I am trying to assemble some basic computer skills: to become fluent in posting and moving text and pictures, to understand HOW all of these skills fit together in the context of writing and producing copy using MS Word; storing posts and articles, memory and retrieval; the basics of website structure and the different theories of building and maintaining sites; as well as an overview of how financial funding structures (banners, links, etc.) are set up and maintained.
Unfortunately, my goals are good but my computer skills suck; I would like sites that cater to teaching those who were not lucky enough to be part of the computer generation.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
DAND
Lucille,

Here is a link for some MS Word help. There is a similar book/CD rom that covers all four: Word, Excel, Access and Power Point. I used the book that covered all four and was able to learn the stuff without much computer know-how prior to starting. I've got some site information somewhere that I'll post after I find where i put it.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
jglass38
Lucille,

Being an MIS director, I do a lot of research. I find googling anything will normally give you some good resources. Feel free to ask me any questions (on the forum or through private messages). I am always willing to help.

Jamie

Old 01-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Lucille
Thank y'all!! I LOVE the people here, everyone is always willing to pitch in and help!

Old 01-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Brownie55
Gee Lucille, if you need help building a server or setting up something like that, give me a shout.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Lucille
Thank you Jeff; and someday I will call on you- but I am still in preschool as far as all that stuff.
I have a few basic sites I was given, and will go from there.

It is my personal philosophy that with time, hard work, and a bit of help from friends, anyone can do almost anything. This is something I have a total lack of knowledge about and no skill, but I am gonna win this challenge....

Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Brownie55
I'll do anything to help somebody that wants to learn. But it's too bad that the computer world has become so specialized. I used to do everything, now it seem like I am only qualified for a much smaller range of stuff. On the other hand, I remember the old days when you learned something, did it until you retired, and at the end you were basically doing the same thing as when you started. I think a life like that would have killed me, but there must have been some comfort in the stability. Now, at my advanced age, I have to scramble to stay trained and relevant. Well, it fills the idle hours. OK, sorry, SET GEEZER MODE OFF.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
Pug
I'd help, but the only things I'm good for are hardware, some programming and setting up & maintiaining extreme cooling.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!