Breakthrough with reclusive female - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
acpart
Breakthrough with reclusive female

I have had a female for the past 2 1/2 years who has always been very passive and reclusive. She usually spends nearly all of her time hidden in her cave and I have to hand feed her because she doesn't eat on her own. She actually has only eaten independently for a brief period 2 years ago when she was in with another female leo who has since passed away. This year she is with a male who does not pester her too much (I call him the reluctant suitor). She has started coming out more and has even been up on the hammock. Last night for the first time in 2 years she actually tried to catch a cricket and then ate 4 of them when I held them up to her. This is a big step from needing to be held and have the food item pressed against her mouth. It's nice to see that she can change even after so long.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #2
USAGECKOS
Just goes to show, you CAN teach "An Old Gecko New Tricks"...LOL

Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
Geckogardener
Wow, that's really good to know. It's funny, I've actually read several posts in different places lately regarding leos that ate better when they were housed with at least one other. I know it goes against the theory that they are completely solitary and don't need companionship, but it might be worth a try for anyone who has a "depressed" gecko, lol.
I hope she continues to become more and more outgoing. Perhaps she still has a few surprises up her sleeve!

Sue

Old 04-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Lizard Lair
I've read about that solitary thing also. But I've found that when I have 2 or 3 together with multiple moist hides they usually all pile into the same one together. Kinda cute.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!