Amyae sexing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-26-2002, 10:26 AM   #1
REEF SHOPPE
Amyae sexing

Could any experienced N.amyae breeders lend info. as to what weight "positive" gender can be determined?

Thanks,
Tom Wood

Old 12-29-2002, 07:59 PM   #2
Monte
I might be able to point you in the right . . .

. . . direction.

Check out the "Tremper Lizard Ranch" - Phil might have some advice for your since he deals with numerous species.

http://www.kingsnake.com/philtremper/

I hope this is helpful.

Monte Meyer - Powergeckos

Old 01-15-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Well...

I don't think you can pinpoint accurate sexing by weight in any species. The easiest way to pinpoint sex is simply wait until the animals are 4-6 months old(I believe this is the correct age when Nephrurus species are visually sexable). The animals with the obvious bulges at the base of the tail will be males, those without it's probably a good bet are females at this point.

But I am also confused a bit by your question, so I could be way off base. lol But if you are simply asking what is the weight at which you can accurately sex Nephrurus amyae, I think there is no solid answer to that. Some animals develop and mature faster than others. These will obviously develop secondary sexual characteristics sooner than their later blooming counterparts. I have seen male leopard geckos that were obvious at only 10 grams and others that didn't really show any bulges until they were almost 30 grams. I think it's all just up to when that particular animal decides to "pop."

Old 01-15-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
REEF SHOPPE
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm finding that 12-16 grams seems to be about right with my group (personal observations). This coincides with other breeder's experiences (Lazik, Plank etc). Like other Nephrurus, they all "look male" until they drop hemi's, due to their post-cloacal "pouch". With my 30-40 gram sub-adults, there is NO question as to who's who. I can't imagine these monsters at 60 grams!

Thanks again,
Tom Wood

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!