HALF FROZEN GECKO SHIPPED - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
veronica
HALF FROZEN GECKO SHIPPED

I know i probrably shouldnt even order gecko's over the winter months but let me just share an experience with you.
I bought 2 albino baby fat tails. First of all the person I ordered it from was in florida and unknow to me was under investigation by the Feds. Well due to this mans apparently large business dealing with imported rare animals and drug smuggling my shipment of these 2 babies was held up at the airborne substation. They were holding the packages for us to either show up and open them or for their inspectors to get there the next day. One of the babies was upside down and nearly dead.
The next day the FBI contacted me asking me all about this guy and why I had sent him so much money via paypal. His dealings were not being reported as income and the FBI and IRS were after him for numerous offenses. He by the way sells on Kingsnakes.com I did notify kingsnakes but they have not done anything about his postings and in fact allow him to keep posting.

My 2nd bad experience this week was a half dead bright organe african fat tail that was imporperly packed. There were no holes what so ever in the box and the heat pack was on the bottom of the box keeping the newspaper warm and thats about it. The poor thing was upside down and had deficated. Took my daughters very warm hands and alot of hot breathing on it to bring it back.

Please if you ever get an animal that is upside down and curled up try to revive it. Unless it is stiff as a board and white looking there may still be a chance of reviving the animal. This has happend to me 2xs this week alone and each time it took several minutes and allot of heavy breathing but we got them to come back. It was devistating but it thankfully we didnt give up and they made it.

As for the 2 people who shipped these animals to me? I have notified them that I will never do business with them ever again.

If I could find the place here to post the names of those people and the problems I had with them I certainly would post it. The purpose of this posting is to just inform all of you who buy and ship during these cold months to please please properly pack these animals. Put the proper heat pack in there and if you need to put in 2 put in 2... put them close to the animals and not burried under loads of newspaper. All your heating up is paper. Please put holes in the boxes for the animals...... we love these creatures and certainly dont want them to arrive dead or near death.

Had my friend not called me up to tell me how hers arrived half dead and how she warmed them up in her hands to bring them back i surely would not have known to do so and would have figured they were dead.
Veronica Davidson

Old 01-17-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
I'm not a site moderator but... Didn't you already start a thread of this nature once in the wrong forum that got locked down and deleted?

There's a dropdown menu at the bottom of every screen, click it, highlight "Board of Inquirey" and post this sort of thing there, that's what it's for.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
veronica
no i posted under misc. for a reason.. i didnt see anything anywhere pertaining to receiving half dead animals.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
WebSlave
Arrow

Quote:
If I could find the place here to post the names of those people and the problems I had with them I certainly would post it.
Well, here you go:

Board of Inquiry

You may want to cut and past this message there, as I want these sorts of messages ONLY to be in the BOI and nowhere else on this site.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
Ken Harbart
Since the proper forum was already mentioned, I won't elaborate on that one any further.

However, I would like to addres the misconception about air holes. Not only are they generally not required when packing reptiles, they can cause far more harm than good. The seller did the right thing by not placing any holes in the box. However, the rest of the packing soesn't sound up to par.

That's about all the input I'll give on this matter until it's posted on the Board of Inquiry.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #6
veronica
well so much for trying to start a topic about warning people about shipping properly and half frozen animals. I know had my friend not called me to tell me what she did to revive hers I surely wouldnt have done anything other than cry and burry them in the yard or put them out with the trash. They were upside down and not breathing at all or moving. We stroked its head and cuped it in our hands and breathed on it to warm it up till we finally saw some life in him. Took a good 3 minutes or more before he moved again.
Hes now in his tank in his warm hide box.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:06 PM   #7
WebSlave
Veronica,

This is definitely a valid topic to bring up, but don't you think it would be of more value if placed in a forum where it would do the most good? The whole purpose of having all of these forums is so people can be directed to areas of interest more easily. If your thread is about a particular person or company and how they shipped to you, then this would be most appropriate in the Board of Inquiry forum. If this is discussing shipping deficiencies in general and methods to be used to try to recover from such problems then the Shipping Forum would likely be the best place for this thread, don't you think?

The type of animal involved is not as important as the other issues you are bringing up. If I had just moved this thread myself to the shipping forum, you probably would have thought it had been deleted. But I can certainly do that for you if need be.

Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!