Chinese coronavirus - Page 78 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #771
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So why choose to expose ourselves voluntarily to possible vaccine side effects in exchange for unlikely involuntary COVID severe symptoms.

Your choice is of course up to you and I respect whatever choice you make.

The equation you outlined above, however, is a fluid one. Vaccine side effects are quantitatively minuscule compared to ones chances of dying of covid; and aging and various medical complications can weigh the dying side substantially.
One of the posts above estimates my chances of dying from a vaccine related clot at one in a million. Currently, in the U.S., there have been about 31 million cases of covid, but the 566 thousand covid deaths far out weigh, in percentage terms, the one in a million clot danger.

Of course, the final report cards on both vaccines and Covid both are still not available because we are still learning more about both.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #772
Lucille
Quote:
Connie has had a headache all day long today, and she did express concerns.
Thinking of Connie and hoping all is well.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:06 PM   #773
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Your choice is of course up to you and I respect whatever choice you make.

The equation you outlined above, however, is a fluid one. Vaccine side effects are quantitatively minuscule compared to ones chances of dying of covid; and aging and various medical complications can weigh the dying side substantially.
One of the posts above estimates my chances of dying from a vaccine related clot at one in a million. Currently, in the U.S., there have been about 31 million cases of covid, but the 566 thousand covid deaths far out weigh, in percentage terms, the one in a million clot danger.

Of course, the final report cards on both vaccines and Covid both are still not available because we are still learning more about both.
Personally I don't trust the media even a little bit concerning what they are "reporting" about either the vaccine no COVID itself. My take on it is that the chances of our dying from the vaccine are zip if we don't take it. The chances of our dying from COVID are likely pretty darn slim because of the odds/statistics and our relative isolation from possible carriers. Sure, not everyone has the same circumstances, and I understand that. But everyone needs to evaluate their own situation and try to make informed choices based on a big heaping tablespoon of salt applied to whatever "truths" they can glean from the information they can dig up about the relevant details. Assume everyone in the media and in government is lying unless proven otherwise would be a safe bet.

Quote:
Thinking of Connie and hoping all is well.
Probably just thinking about the roof repair we are considering contributed a LOT to her headache. First quote we got is $21K. Yowza! Connie is going to be collecting social security benefits starting next month, and I guess she sees that money she was looking forward to has just evaporated. Maybe I need to explore more options on this site for advertising revenue. The new banner ad I have added is doing better than I had expected, and the company is pushing me to add more. But where is the point where the banner ads are making more money, but chasing away too many people?

Anyway, as soon as the rain stops I'm going to go up on the roof myself and take a look. I know we have a leak between the house roof and the roof a contractor put over our side porch. I think that is just a matter of putting down new caulk at the seam. I want to take a look at the rusted metal on the roof to see how bad it is. I wasn't as diligent as I could be getting leaves and stuff off of the roof from the oak tree overhanging that side porch. I am also planning on cutting away some of the branches of that tree while standing on the roof with a pole saw. Of course, Connie is worried about me doing that, so certainly could be contributing to her headache. 70 year old guys falling off of ladders or roofs generally doesn't end well.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #774
Lucille
Quote:
First quote we got is $21K.
That is OUTRAGEOUS!! I've had two roofs put on two different homes in the past, I think they both came in at around $7000 (they were smaller houses though).
Most companies don't charge for quotes, so maybe get a few more.

Quote:

Anyway, as soon as the rain stops I'm going to go up on the roof myself and take a look.
I wish you wouldn't do that. This is the perfect time to get your drone out and hitch a camera to it.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #775
WebSlave
Quote:
That is OUTRAGEOUS!! I've had two roofs put on two different homes in the past, I think they both came in at around $7000 (they were smaller houses though).
Most companies don't charge for quotes, so maybe get a few more.
We have a metal roof, so that will be more expensive than asphalt shingles. We are located in the middle of the woods, and metal roofs are naturally more ignition resistant than shingles are. There is always the chance of a forest fire being nearby (matter of fact we have already had some close calls) and the way most houses seem to catch fire is by burning embers landing on the roof and igniting and/or melting through the roof. So this just seems to be a wise precaution, and the reason we went with metal when we had the house built.

Our house isn't at all large. I think 1800 square foot under cover, if I remember correctly. The roof is roughly 50' by 50'. I don't recall the pitch of the roof, but I believe it is called a "hip" roof with a small cupola at the peak. Anyway, it suits just the two of us just fine.

In any event, we have two more estimators supposed to come by perhaps this week. I think Connie is more worried about the destruction they will inevitably do to her plantings and gardens while working here. In the contract we got from the first estimator, they have a statement that they will not be responsible for any damage done with the equipment they bring in. Well, bull crap!! No way in hell I would sign anything like that. That means they could destroy our fruit trees around the driveway area, or even the apron to the garage and they could just laugh it off. They have insurance, or at least they better have it, so if they damage something, THEY are going to have to pay for it, not us.

Something tells me that I may wind up getting someone to just use POR-15 on the rusted parts, and then paint the roof with a light colored top coating. That would quite likely work just fine for the rest of our lives. After we are dead and gone, I don't really give a damn about what happens to the roof then. It will be someone else's problem.

Quote:
I wish you wouldn't do that. This is the perfect time to get your drone out and hitch a camera to it.
Yeah, I have already done some flyovers at distance, but you just can't get down low to get a lot of detail that way. At least with the drones I used. I may try a new drone I got about a year ago that has some pretty good object avoidance and see if I can get closer with it. The worst problem is underneath branches of a big oak tree and my other drones would have crashed and burned on those branches for certain. I'm not sure if what I am seeing in the worst area of the roof is rust or maybe just staining from the oak leaves and sap that have fallen and set on the metal. I know there are areas that are definitely rust, but not sure about the metal integrity. I have been up in the attic while it is raining, and don't see any signs of leaking anywhere.

I already told Connie that if I fall to NOT try to catch me. Someone needs to be able to call for an ambulance. I was reluctant to climb up there before we had that roofing company come out and I saw two guys walking around on that flatter roofing panels over the porch. I was afraid it might not support much weight (the original installer was kind of a goof ball), but they did just fine. The pitch on the roof of the house is pretty steep, and I am much more reluctant to climb up on that. But I will be OK. I tend to take after my grandfather on my mom's side who would look for potential dangers in everything. Used to drive us kids crazy because we lived right next door to our grandparents. I am sure we probably drove him crazy too, on a nearly daily basis.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #776
bcr229
Get that roof done sooner rather than later as I'm hearing from my suppliers that the price of base metals is being adjusted upward a few percent every week where normally there would be a quarterly adjustment, whether up or down.

Oh and I'd be hauling the old metal roofing material to the scrapyard myself.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #777
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Get that roof done sooner rather than later as I'm hearing from my suppliers that the price of base metals is being adjusted upward a few percent every week where normally there would be a quarterly adjustment, whether up or down.

Oh and I'd be hauling the old metal roofing material to the scrapyard myself.
Actually, from what I have been reading, two-thirds of the cost of a roofing job is for labor. So I've been looking into alternatives, such as metal shingles, as I think they would be less labor intensive to install, and I still have the benefits of metal. Connie has always wanted the tile look for the roof, but the weight of tiles put that out of reach. Metal shingles can give that same look, but at a WHOLE LOT less weight. So she would be happy if that is the route we would take.

At least we have better questions to ask with the next guys coming in to take measurements and give estimates. I'm not rushing into this. I can fix that leak that prompted all this to get on the front burner. I need to get a few days in a row without rain, though, before I want to do that.

Man, talk about going OFF TOPIC!

Old 04-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #778
Lucille
Quote:

Man, talk about going OFF TOPIC!
Whether that is a good thing, depends on the topic. It seems to me that old codgers like you and me tend to dig their heels in. But the deeper one digs, the less one is willing to listen, sometimes. Honestly, I'm not for sure who is right here, but some times giving things time to percolate can be helpful.
The one thing I AM sure of is that I want you, and the rest of us, to 'live long and prosper' as Spock used to say.

Peace and long life.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #779
WebSlave
Well, I went up on the roof yesterday to take a look myself, and yeah, the section of roof below the big live oak tree is not looking real good. Sheet metal there is rotted through and I wound up using a combination of duct tape and caulk to try to patch it up as best I could. The third company to come out here, which actually sounds the best in a lot of categories, quoted us a price of $27 K for the job. They are using 24 gauge metal instead of the usual 26 gauge, and they bring their own machine out to cut and shape the metal right on site instead of ordering it cut to specs from a metal supplier. They are also planning on just laying the new roof over the old metal with insulating spacers between the two. I thought that would save a BUNCH on labor costs not having to tear that old metal off the roof, so honestly, the price was quite a shock to Connie and I. These guys only do metal roofs, so we feel they would be best for the job instead of other roofers who mostly do asphalt shingles and only the occasional metal roof. But they are saying that it will be 12 to 14 WEEKS before they could get to us. Which I guess is another good sign, as they must be good to be in that much demand. But on the other hand, well damn, after seeing that section of roof yesterday, can we really wait that long?

So with that in mind, I was trying to patch up holes in the current tin roof to keep any more rain from leaking through, and have such funky patching I was doing last for 4 months. I was not aiming for any sort of permanent fix. I will have to go up there now and again to check to see how things are holding up and maybe do a repatch as needed. Unfortunately it wasn't just the caulking at the seam, as there were holes through the metal itself. Bummer.

Oh and as for cutting back those oak tree branches, I have to rethink that idea. With that rusted through metal being as thin and weak as it is, I sure as heck don't want falling branches to be punching more holes through the metal.

Luckily we are coming into what is typically the dry season around here that might last two months or so. But after that we can get some real whoppers of Summer rain storms. So waiting until August or September to get the new roof is going to be worrisome. Wish I had gotten up there sooner to check on things and cleaned off those leaves more often. Honestly, I would have had to do that leaf cleaning thing about every week or so. My bad. I should have encouraged Connie more when she just wanted that oak tree taken out. But honestly, I really hated the idea of getting rid of it. At least THEN, but not so much NOW.

I finally got to use a ladder extension I had purchase a year or three ago that made climbing on and off the top of the ladder really easy and not so dangerous feeling to me. I have watched others getting off the top of the ladder onto a roof by swinging around to the side of it, and then doing the same coming down, and that just made me feel queasy inside. This thing REALLY helps, as you just keep up walking and use the rails to continue onto the roof without any awkwardness to it.

Pics will be attached at the bottom of this post.

Anyway, back on topic, I found a webpage describing the classifications and definitions being used to describe the new mutations of this Wuhan virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iant-info.html

And I have been reading that India is really getting it's butt kicked with one or more of those variants. Which, of course, will spread. So it doesn't look like we are coming out of the woods any time soon on this. Hope for the best, but really, plan for the worst. Unless every country and every state within each country pretty much goes into lockdown closing their borders, the ease of people moving all over the globe pretty much guarantees that every mutation will spread all over the world. And for anyone NOT concerned about the uncontrolled migration into the USA through our southern border, I mean, REALLY? You honestly think that is a real good idea?

As for vaccines, well, I think that at best, they will be constantly trying to play catch-up as the virus mutates to negate the effectiveness of yesterday's vaccine designed target. Which obviously is going to mean that the newer vaccines developed cannot do any appreciable testing in order to be applied to the public before they too become obsolete. They knew from the beginning that this virus was highly adept at mutation, so I can't see where this would be any surprise to anyone. If you decide to take the vaccine, there is a good chance you will be getting those "booster" shots for a LONG time. Question is, will each and every one of them be playing a new game of Russian roulette?

This is potentially a disaster in the making, IMHO. Will the virus mutate such that a vaccine is the only hope of a good chance of surviving a new killer variant? Even worse, will NO vaccine become of any consequence in the battle against the virus? Or will an untested vaccine, because of the rapid fire necessity of modifications, cause a major "oopsie!" with some real negative unintended consequences when administered?

Yeah, I hope that all the mutations of the Wuhan virus make it less deadly and nothing more than yet another cold virus, but I am not willing to bet the farm on that happening. It truly breaks my heart to have to see people all over the world wearing protective masks, and society the world over basically thrown into a tailspin over this.

And I have to tell you, being 70 years old now, it REALLY sucks to think that the older I get the more likely that if (or when?) I catch this thing, the more likely it is that that I might have more severe symptoms from it. And that is not even taking into account the "new and improved" versions being churned out randomly.

Well, so much for those "golden years".
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2021, 07:11 PM   #780
Lucille
Quote:
If you decide to take the vaccine, there is a good chance you will be getting those "booster" shots for a LONG time. Question is, will each and every one of them be playing a new game of Russian roulette?
The latest response to the J&J vaccine issue in several places so far is to include a warning about the possibility of clots and allow people to choose whether they wanted to take that chance. I think you are exactly right about chances of side effects from new vaccines increasing if new, quickly made vaccines are necessary to cope with new, quickly arising variants.

However, so far, the % of deaths from those taking the various vaccines have been negligible compared to the % of deaths of the unvaccinated from Covid.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!