"Bonnie & Clyde on the Run"...or "Escaped Snakes" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
BeauBoi
"Bonnie & Clyde on the Run"...or "Escaped Snakes"

I have a 2014 Kingsnake who I didn't believe would be ready to breed this year, but about a month ago he started going into "Rut". Ever since, he has been escaping like Houdini! He never got far, as he always ended up close to or on top of the tank of a young female (the female I got to mate with him, to be specific).

Anyway, he had escaped twice earlier this month, so I decided to put both of their vivs into a 7 foot tall closed cabinet with glass doors; I figured that, if he ~did~ manage to escape again he would still be trapped in the cabinet and if her tank was in the cabinet too, then he might not try to go far....

Thursday was feeding day for most of my snakes and I did the normal routine that day. Friday, I had to get up extra early (3am) to get some stuff done for work and when I got back home at 6pm I wasn't feeling well and went straight to bed without checking on the herps. When I went down this morning to check on them he was gone again.....AND so was the female!!!

I cannot imagine how they could have gotten out! I had methodically destroyed the house in a spiral pattern leading away from the tall cabinet that held their vivs, but no luck so far

I am thinking of re-naming them, Bonnie & Clyde...

~Beau

Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
BeauBoi
Well, "Bonnie" was caught this morning trying to get into a cage with a hopper I put under a towel and left out over night.
One down, one to go!
~Beau

Old 02-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
glad you found one!
Some things I've done in the past to find an escapee that worked in addition to the 'leaving a heat pad or feeder out':
Lay out lines of flour around the room, if the snake crosses the line, you'll be able to see where they are headed and confirm they are still in the room. Take plastic or paper bags, crumpled and against the walls of the room, then sit in the room quietly, not moving, at night. Snakes tend to stay against the walls when moving so you might hear it moving around.
Both tricks have helped me find escaped baby corn snakes in the past. Luckily I've got more secure racks/tubs now so it hasn't happened in a very long time *knock on wood*.
Good luck finding Clyde!

Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
BeauBoi
Thanks April! I have been putting flour down every night (I have to re-apply due to my dogs--I lock them in the bedroom with me at night but they are out during the day), but I will give the plastic bag method a go tonight.

I have only ever had one other snake escape in the past, but this guy is a regular "Houdini"! The little #%@$ is making a habit of getting out, and I can honestly say I haven't got a CLUE as to how he managed it!

In any case, I appreciate the moral support! I am determined to find the little dastard! Lol

~Beau

Old 04-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
BeauBoi
Yesterday evening, as I was cleaning doing dishes, I reached over and picked up a plate to place it in the sink and guess who was under he plate! "Clyde" (real name, Shesha) was sitting there looking at me as if to say, "I'm hungry daddy!" lol and he WAS hungry! I really think that he came and found me simply because he wasn't having luck hunting for food in the house! Lol
I am SO happy to have him back! The little rascal! :-D
~Beau

Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Brilliant. You'll have to get a GPS tracker for him!

Glad to hear he's home .... for now.........

Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Yay, good news!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
SWDK
Glad you found them both. What type of enclosure are they housed in? Snakes are smart one they find a way to escape they'll keep utilizing it.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #9
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDK View Post
Glad you found them both. What type of enclosure are they housed in? Snakes are smart one they find a way to escape they'll keep utilizing it.
The first 2 times he escaped he was in an aquarium with a metal lid, but after the second escape I found where there was a crack in the black plastic around the top of the aquarium that I guess he had learned to pry open enough to get out. Both of those times, he found his way into the pocket of my jacket (I really wonder if he was actually looking for me, as he is the most "puppy dog" like snake I have ever owned--he LOVES being with me and having me carry him around). This last time he escaped, he was in a RUB (and so was the other snake) while Imwas finishing my new snake rack. He is now in the new snake rack, and I have gone over the enclosure with a fine tooth come to make sure that there is NO way of escape...,,I guess we will find out! Lol

I am just SO glad I found him! Ever since I lost my Kingsnake that (I think) escaped through the doggy-door we used to have, I am terrified of loosing another snake (although, I still keep hoping Imwill find her, even though it has been almost a year now.... ).

Thanks, Everyone, for the encouragement! And for anyone out there who is still missing a snake, Never Never Never Give Up!

~Beau

Old 06-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
AuroraBorealis
I'm so glad you found them. I would be beside myself if any escaped. I knew that during mating season, if there was a way out of her tank, my corn would have been gone. Snakes are certainly sneaky !
do you have any pictures of Bonnie and Clyde? =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!