QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #61
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
RDR Dreamsicle
Nice taste!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #62
R. Eventide
11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?

I'm a loner who isn't interested in a boyfriend...so...yeah. In the realm of rhetorical questions, though: As long as he doesn't mind my keeping/breeding them, then it wouldn't be a problem. He doesn't have to like them, but if it's going to cause problems, then he would pretty much be out. My snakes are my kids.

12. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?

Most of my friends are supportive, even if they think it's a little goofy or disturbing.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #63
Mooing Tricycle
11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?

Well. Heh. Ill be finding that one out as the months go on. but more than likely ill just tell them right off the bat. "I keep snakes, and breed them." there is either immediate interest or not. I wont be going for the Semi tolerant, because i just dont want there to be any issues in regards to how i build my collection in the future... IF the relationship lasts. Basically I dont want someone complaining about how many enclosures/animals are around in the future! And besides...... I cant have any competition! ..the basement is MINE hahaha! so another reptile person would be pretty darn sweet.... ( then we can share the basement, LOL!)

yeah, this one ranges... from mild interest, to fascination to just outright finding it weird and disgusting.... lol. Most of the reactions i get are Interest though. People just seem curious, and ask lots of questions. I even get some who come in and ask how all my snakes are... too funny i like those people!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #64
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abish View Post
11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's? In the getting to know you stage, they typically inquire about hobbies, interests, 'what do you do for fun', etc. It always seem to fit quite naturally into the conversations one has when trying to get to know new people.

It runs the gamut from distaste to mild curiosity.

Pretty much exact same answers from me.

I don't have a lot of friends as I am a homebody and kind of a loner, I spend most of my time hanging out with my guy and our various pets. My friends will feign excitment about a litter or new snake if they know that's what I'm looking for but basically they have no interest. I've made a few reptile friends via various forums and websites which is nice. Overall, the more people I meet, the more I like my snakes.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #65
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Yohn View Post
Overall, the more people I meet, the more I like my snakes.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #66
Crazy4Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Yohn View Post
Overall, the more people I meet, the more I like my snakes.
Oh yes! I am so with you.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #67
Jerry_c_62
A Gentleman's Perspective

Well, this has been very interesting. Reading the ladies' responses. I checked in with Troi at about page 2 or 3 of this thread. I told her I had crunched some numbers that she might be interested in.

She asked that I let the thread run its course and not post anything yet.

She sent me a message last night to let me know that she would be OK with me putting in my findings at this point. So AWAY WE GO.

If there are any math "super freaks" out there, I ask that you cut me a little slack. I'm just using what I have, and I have had an adult beverage or two , but I hope you all like what I have found.

What does the average Fauna Female look like?

What type of snake do you keep?
67% have Ball Pythons
63% have a Boa of one type of another
38% have Corn Snakes
21% have Rat Snakes
17% have Kings
75% have more than one type of snake
The field is rounded out with milks, bulls, garters, pythons (other than ball) and one who has none at all, but enjoys herping in the local area and will "come over to the dark side" as soon as she is able i"m sure.

Do you have any help?
50% have no help at all, Where have you ladies been all my life?
30% have some help, or get help if they ask.
17% get help.

Average Height
Short and Sweet, no pun intended..5' 4.5"

The next two I grouped together

Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age? Or your safety/security?
These two I grouped together as they were sort of similar and got responces that were almost indentical
30% said that it was something that they considered
31% said it had some influence
39% said it made no difference

I would watch out for Willow, she will shoot you, also for Brandi, she will kill you with her bare hands. I Love you both.

Average Age
83% are 40 or less,
58% are 26 - 40
13% are 41 - 50
1 person admits to being over 50, she is on Fiji, maybe we can herp there together some day.

Ever had your love for herps wreck a relationship?
I didn't count in-laws since they are stuck with you, and you with them, if you like it or not.
60% said No
4% said Yes

The Die List
35% have one
56% do not, but now they are all thinking about it
9% said that the local pet store is going to have a field day.

Some of the questions were a bit nebulus and I had a hard time figureing out how to tally them, What got you started?, Why do you have what you have? So I left those off, as there was a unique reply for each person.

With that said I will now open the topic for the guys by submitting my answers.

What type of snakes do you own?
Ball Pythons is all I have. 6.5 with 5 eggs in the cooker.

What sparked your interest in the snakes you have
The first pied I ever saw. After that I said to myself, I said self, I said, I'm going to have one of those.

Do you get help
I am with most of the ladies here...not really, no

How tall are you?
6' 3" Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?
Simple answer, not really

Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Again, not really.

What is your age group?
41-50

How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
I got into this well after the wife thought she could replace me...now I want a bird eating spider

Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?

My son will get what he wants as a pet (not really his thing). Local petstore can come in and care for everything if needed. A Fauna member who happens to live close will have right of first refusal. After that my son will be able to care for and distribute to my satisfaction.

Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?

As I said before, when I saw my first pied I just had to have one. I have been married for 25 years and started working with herps about 4 years ago, it took me that long to convince the wife that a snake was not going to kill her. Once she said she would not divorce me if i got a snake, I took the bull by the horns and went for all I could. I'm still working on my collection, but hope to keep my snakes in rats and me in new snakes till I die

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #68
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
also for Brandi, she will kill you with her bare hands.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Old 06-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #69
jclaire
1. What type of snake(s) do you own? a lav albino retic, pair of eyelash vipers, and a pair of carpet pythons that I purchased, plus various others that my husband has.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own? my interest in snakes in general started at a very young age after my attendance to a demonstration about snakes at a local museum.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
Yes, my husband has many snakes as well so its a joint effort.
4. How tall are you? 5' 6"

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age? No

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor? No, however, if it was just me I pro. wouldn't have the eyelash vipers, my choice to get them was greatly influenced because of my husbands background with venomous snakes.

7. What is your age group?
15-25
8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW?? Never ruined any relationships although i don't get many vistors to my house. my grandparents refuse to step foot in the yard.
9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass. my husband would assuming i was the first to go, i have thought of this but do not actually have a list or will so to speak.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #70
mgoblue346
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?
0.2 Peruvian Red Tailed Boa
1.0 normal ball python
1.1 pastel ball python

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
Loved the color on the pastels and relatively cheap to start off breeding ball morphs. Got both Peruvians 6'5 and 6'2 for $75.00 love the big bodied snake.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)
No

4. How tall are you?
6'3

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?
Not at all, being bigger does help with the Peruvians though.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Nope, I do not fear the snakes at all. Can pet them on the head like a dog.

7. What is your age group?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!