Dark side of Herpetology - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #41
Uroboros
Are you kidding? It's so much easier when the crap in the water bowls. oh man, if I could litter train them, I totally would!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #42
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
Are you kidding? It's so much easier when the crap in the water bowls. oh man, if I could litter train them, I totally would!
Oh no, not the bowl of soup.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
bowl of soup.
Haha, good way to put it.
I would definitely litter train them if I could, the soup is just gross and I'm just happy cleaning it out of the tub floor with paper towels instead, lol

Although... I am getting a little annoyed with my retic female. I swear she pees every single day. I feel like I change her enclosure more than anyone else, and she's the hardest to do too!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #44
Twizted Paths
Your retic just wants more quality time with you

I don't understand the people that get happy because their snakes poop in the tub during swim time

I don't poop in my tub so I don't think anybody else should either. Plus than you have to clean and disinfect the tub, rinse it real good, clean the snake again and clean whatever you put the snake in while you were cleaning the tub because they were just swimming in poop soup.

Quote:
Georgia, why not WV? I need someone snakey to hang out and get into (and out of) trouble with. The man just doesn't understand my obsession. Still gets the heebies whenever I'm opening shipping boxes and pulling out new jewels for the collection.
PM or e-mail me and talk it up lady. I wouldn't mind knowing at least one person (especially a fellow snake lover) when I move.

I remember the first time I meet a snake face to face, wasn't even in kindergarten yet, I thought it was prettier than my mom's sparkly necklace. Snakes are actually the reason I like opals

Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #45
AbsoluteApril
some great nuggets already posted. I'll concur that removing an 8' angry protective mother boa from her kids (slugs or not) is no picnic. I use a shield and just go for it. The very first time I smelled and cleaned up baby goo I must have dry heaved about 10 times.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has delt with overheated thawed rat guts, it happened just last year: I fed the large snakes, came back about 10-15 min. later to make sure everyone was eatting and there's one of my big girls with nasty greenish rat guts hanging out her mouth. I freaked and didn't know why it had happened, thought I had a 'bad rat', so I got paper towels, gently got her behind the head and started pulling guts out of her mouth by hand. It sure stunk too.

Another time I got a bunch of jumbo live rats from someone locally (about 15). The next morning the ex goes to leave for work, runs back in and says there's blood all over the side of his truck. Whoops. that will teach me not to whack rats outside in the dark. hee

I've also put down a very large dovii cichlid fish that was badly injured with blunt force head trama. ewwww but at least it was a quick death. I've heard I was 'tough' from a couple guy friends, just do what I gotta do if it's gotta be done.

Crickets really freak me out, go figure.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #46
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Yohn View Post

Crickets really freak me out, go figure.
Worms, mealworms & leaches. If any of you seen me getting leaches off turtles you would never be able to look at me without laughing again.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #47
Wolfy-hound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Worms, mealworms & leaches. If any of you seen me getting leaches off turtles you would never be able to look at me without laughing again.
Video, or it didn't happen.

About the poo in water dishes, when you're dumping it into the toilet, and you're all smug, because you won't have to touch the poo. You'll just flush, then wash the dish.... and there's that chunk stuck.. and you shake the bowl..

Then the chunk of wet poo flies out sideways, does a twist midair heading straight for you.. you dodge, it weaves, you duck, and it bobs... and SPLAT.. it hits you. Self-guided, heat-seeking poo missles. Screw the SCUD, use those. The enemy would surrender, but the Geneva Convention would get involved.

Cursing is always involved. Never ever ever forget where snake poo is when doing laundry. Ruining a entire load of nice shirts because you FORGOT you tossed that towel full of smeared poo into the washer FULLY INTENDING to start it up right away....... not a good thing.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #48
Uroboros
The most dangerous weapon in the world:

Dog poo on a stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Cursing is always involved. Never ever ever forget where snake poo is when doing laundry. Ruining a entire load of nice shirts because you FORGOT you tossed that towel full of smeared poo into the washer FULLY INTENDING to start it up right away....... not a good thing.
I use towels for a lot of my bedding. They get their own load, then the washer is run empty for a small load right after that.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #49
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Video, or it didn't happen.

About the poo in water dishes, when you're dumping it into the toilet, and you're all smug, because you won't have to touch the poo. You'll just flush, then wash the dish.... and there's that chunk stuck.. and you shake the bowl..

Then the chunk of wet poo flies out sideways, does a twist midair heading straight for you.. you dodge, it weaves, you duck, and it bobs... and SPLAT.. it hits you. Self-guided, heat-seeking poo missles. Screw the SCUD, use those. The enemy would surrender, but the Geneva Convention would get involved.

Fortunately it does not exist & I do wish it never happened. Cameras are not allowed around me

I just buy packs of washclothes from Family Dollar, like 20 rags for $5 & throw them away. Part of me hates wasting the money & material but in reality it's worth it not to wash my work clothes in snake poop again.

I cleaned all their cages yesterday, had to redo one before I was even done with them all & 6 again today. And I forgot to take down the shower curtain before I let my little albino boy play on the rod, twisty stubborn serpent brat.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #50
R. Eventide
"intestinal garland" <-- Love that line!

I, too, have cleaned way too many overheated mice guts off of snakes and feeding containers. It takes quite a bit to make me barf, but the smell of that mess gets me very close to seeking the porcelain god.

Two herper friends and I took three snakes out with us for a walk late at night. One friend wondered what the wet stuff was hitting her feet. The female BP she was holding had decided to have a nice, runny poop all over. Thankfully, it only got on my friend's shoes and the road. We laughed at how we weren't "cleaning up after our pets."

The male BP I was holding got the last laugh, though. We were almost done with our walk, and he had maneuvered himself so that his tail was wrapped around my bra (go figure) and the front half of him was wrapped around my neck. I joked about him pooping down my shirt...and then a few minutes later, guess what? Ugh. Gross. Thankfully, I managed to stop it before it got to my pants, but it was all over my shirt and bra. If it hadn't been one of my favorite shirts, I might've thrown it out. The bra, on the other hand, did not stay long. Hee hee.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!