A Study on Those Who Keep Snakes... sort of - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Cervine
Talking A Study on Those Who Keep Snakes... sort of

So whenever I hear an argument against snakes, it usually includes speculation on the kind of people that own them. People say that snake owners are sadists and sociopaths or stupid kids who think they're "cool" etc etc. We often contend that no, we're normal people who just happen to enjoy reptiles.

So I'd like to hear more about the members on this site and get a survey of those that own snakes. I put together a little questionnaire. Sorry if something like this has been done before, but a quick search didn't reveal anything.

What snakes do you own?:
Why do you keep snakes?:
What other animals do you have?:
What other hobbies do you enjoy?:
Anything else to add?:
(Optional) Picture:

So I'll start:

What snakes do you own?: Ball Pythons, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Blue Beauty
Why do you keep snakes?: I've been fascinated with them since a young age but was unable to keep them due to ophidiphobic parents
What other animals do you have?: cat and a border collie
What other hobbies do you enjoy?: Fishing, drawing and painting
Anything else to add?: I think this would be a fun thread to refer people to the next time they make an offhand comment like the examples above. I also think it would be a good way for me to get to know other people on this site.
(Optional) Picture:

Yes, I am a bit of a goofball.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
tinmantribe5
OLD!

Age 40 yr old Male
Snakes :1.1 pastels,1.1 100% het Alb,0.1 CinnyPastel,0.1 Mojave stripe,0.2 Normals,1.1spider66%Ghosts,1.0spider,0.2ButterMotl eys,0.2Amel Motleys,0.1 het pied,1.1 African Sulcattas
1.1sandfire x High yellow Beardies,0.1Orange poss het hypo,0.3citrus x Blood red
I like things that Slither!
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
SapphireGemReptiles
What snakes do you own?:4 ball pythons, 1 corn snake and a dumeril boa.
Why do you keep snakes?: because i like animals.
What other animals do you have?: 3 dogs, 1 cat a horse and 14 reptiles (5 geckos, 2 bearded dragons, a red eared slider, 4 bps, 1 corn and a dumeril)
What other hobbies do you enjoy?: reading, watching movies, video games, walking with my dogs.
Anything else to add?: I love spicy Mexican food, I went to culinary school, i graduated high school, i also love lemon-aid and BBQ i also love to be with my wonderful family and friends and bf .
(Optional) Picture:

Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
snowgyre
What snakes do you own?: 4 ball pythons
Why do you keep snakes?: I find them fascinating, and they're the perfect pet for a graduate student with limited free time.
What other animals do you have?: 10 leopard geckos, 8 crested geckos
What other hobbies do you enjoy?: hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, birding, martial arts, video games

Sorry for the big photo, but I recently reformatted my computer and don't have any decent photo editing software on it yet.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
wyldwurm
Occupation: Vet Tech student - Personal care assistant to the disabled -freelance web design
What snakes do you own?: Ball Pythons
Why do you keep snakes?: Because reptiles can't talk LOL (I just like them)
What other animals do you have?: Dogs - geckos- frogs
What other hobbies do you enjoy?: Training service dogs
Anything else to add?: Welcome to fauna! Make sure you put the lid down!
(Optional) Picture:

Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
crissabella
What snakes do you own? Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Ball Python, Gray Banded Kingsnake, Paradox Albino Sand Boa and 4 of the Sand Boas offspring, which are considered Dodomas.
Why do you keep snakes? I have been fascinated by them since i was a little girl, and have been around them thanks to my dad.
What other animals do you have? My pug mix, Julie
What other hobbies do you enjoy? Reading, biking, sports, just being outdoors and obviously being here on Fauna
Anything else to add? I'm expecting my first 2 children in January

Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
sallen87
Occupation: NICET Certified Alarm Technician / ASE Certified Mechanic / Biology Student
Snakes I own: 1.0 Tiger Retic; 5.8 (All different morphs) Ball Pythons; 3.3 (All different morphs) Pure Coastal Carpets
Why I keep them: The science of their care and breeding is facinating.
Other animals: 1.1 AKC Doberman Pinschers; 1.0 Savannah Monitor; A buttload of Bearded Dragons (number varies with breeding season); Lots of worms and roaches
Other hobbies: Building computers, web design; drag racing; surfing; horticulture
Something to add: I keep all of the animals I do because I love them. I catch a lot of shyte for it from most everyone. But, I couldn't care less what those people think.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
ReptileJay
I must say... I like this idea!

What snakes do you own?: Ball Pythons (40ish), Western Hognoses, Red-Tail Boas

Why do you keep snakes?: I've always loved all types of animals, but have very strong allergies to most mammals...

What other animals do you have?: Crested Geckos, Leopard Geckos, Dart Frogs... (many other random reptiles)

What other hobbies do you enjoy?: Games (of pretty much all types), and anything relating to Biology.

Anything else to add?: Not really... Planning on obtaining a PhD in the near future in Molecular Genetics, but not quite there yet...

(Optional) Picture:

Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Shadera
It's been done in one form or another, but stuff like this is always fun. Helps you get to know everyone.

Occupation: retired/homemaker (former long haul trucker/military police)
What snakes do you own?: ball pythons and boas
Why do you keep snakes?: I'm fascinated by their differing physiology, plus they make great pets and come in such a wide array of colors
What other animals do you have?: cat, fish, tortoise, parrots
What other hobbies do you enjoy?: reading, crafts, rosarian, pysanky, nagging my husband, old fashioned pen and paper art, outdoorsy stuff
Anything else to add?: I love cheese
(Optional) Picture:
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
MDC_Ophiuchus
What snakes do you own?: 22 at the moment (African house snakes, ball pythons, western hogs, one milk and one ratsnake)
Why do you keep snakes?: I find them to be very fascinating and easy pets to keep.
What other animals do you have?: two dogs, 2 uromastyx, and 2 crested geckos
What other hobbies do you enjoy?: writing, drawing, outdoors stuff (hiking, bike-riding, camping, canoing, etc), movies
Anything else to add?: Normal is nothing but a setting on your washing machine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!