Florida Passes Ban On large Snakes - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
jscianni21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Triangles View Post
I find it hilarious how they blame the exotic reptiles for the decline of floridas endangered small rodents... meanwhile feral and even PET cats kill off way more then any species of reptile in the state.
i donno this whole thing kinda screwed like my whole plan of wanting to breed snakes because i knoy they r gonna add ball pythons and i was gonna get my permit to get a burm but i donno i just feel betrayed by our legislative in this there is somne problens in the everglades but i think if they put a thing out that in order to have big snake get a permit a tracking probe so if someone does let it loose they know who did it .. all in all its just a sad day

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscianni21 View Post
pretty soon pet rocks will come back into fashion
This just in...

NO MORE PET ROCKS!

...On April 30, 2010, the U.S. Senate and House voted on a bill that could prohibit the ownership, sale, and interstate transport of all rocks & stones. Government officials are concerned that exotic species of rocks could inadvertently be released into American ecosystems and potentially threaten certain rock types currently protected.

"People have been keeping these rocks for years, but don't realize how dangerous they can actually be,' says a representative of the Dept of Conservation & Natural Resources, "There are several forms of small pebbles & stones, but some rocks can be quite enormous, usually referred to as boulders. These boulders are heavy, and require more than one person to move. An unwary person could stub their toe on one, or the rock could actually roll over and crush them unexpectantly for no reason. These are NOT pets."

Several geoculturist groups (hobbyists who breed and raise rocks, stones & boulders) are adamantly protesting this bill. "This bill could effectively destroy 30% of the world's economy," comments rock lobbyist Stanely Stone of the United States Association of Rock Keepers (USARK), "Many hobbyists enjoy the relatively easy care of pet rocks compared to other animals. Also, it is common practice to introduce rocks into enclosures of other animals for decoration, as all rocks co-exist peacefully with other pets. Geoculture represents about 33% of the pet industry, and even more for agricultural & industrial use. The Bill is not founded on anything scientific."

Many government officials disagree with Stone's statements, and comment that in addition to their other concerns, rocks and stones could also be used as projectile weapons (often being hurled or thrown at an another person) and therefore, are not safe for human possession.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Lucas339
call and email his office. we got him to over turn a stupid education bill this month.

http://www.flgov.com/contact_governor

Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Mikey Triangles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
This just in...

NO MORE PET ROCKS!

...On April 30, 2010, the U.S. Senate and House voted on a bill that could prohibit the ownership, sale, and interstate transport of all rocks & stones. Government officials are concerned that exotic species of rocks could inadvertently be released into American ecosystems and potentially threaten certain rock types currently protected.

"People have been keeping these rocks for years, but don't realize how dangerous they can actually be,' says a representative of the Dept of Conservation & Natural Resources, "There are several forms of small pebbles & stones, but some rocks can be quite enormous, usually referred to as boulders. These boulders are heavy, and require more than one person to move. An unwary person could stub their toe on one, or the rock could actually roll over and crush them unexpectantly for no reason. These are NOT pets."

Several geoculturist groups (hobbyists who breed and raise rocks, stones & boulders) are adamantly protesting this bill. "This bill could effectively destroy 30% of the world's economy," comments rock lobbyist Stanely Stone of the United States Association of Rock Keepers (USARK), "Many hobbyists enjoy the relatively easy care of pet rocks compared to other animals. Also, it is common practice to introduce rocks into enclosures of other animals for decoration, as all rocks co-exist peacefully with other pets. Geoculture represents about 33% of the pet industry, and even more for agricultural & industrial use. The Bill is not founded on anything scientific."

Many government officials disagree with Stone's statements, and comment that in addition to their other concerns, rocks and stones could also be used as projectile weapons (often being hurled or thrown at an another person) and therefore, are not safe for human possession.

masterfully done

Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
sallen87
Don't stand for...

The Florida Fish And Wildlife Service does not have the personel or the desire to enforce this law.

Do as you please. But, I will never bend to the will of our corrupt government. When good, practical science is thrown out for "hog-wash" and polictical agendas, I do not heed.

Force them to deal with the fact that they just created another "underground" culture.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
jscianni21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
This just in...

NO MORE PET ROCKS!

omg i laughed my arse offf on that well done

Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
jason longboard
So it wasnt signed, can it still be stopped? If so, we need links and info please.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
brd7666
It still has to be signed by the governor. He will be signing it for sure. He is not going to go against everyone like that. The voting was unanimous in the house and senate. July 1, 2010 it will become law. There is no stopping it.

I am not trying to sound negative here, I am only being honest, and nothing is being sugar coated.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
It still has to be signed by the governor. He will be signing it for sure. He is not going to go against everyone like that. The voting was unanimous in the house and senate. July 1, 2010 it will become law. There is no stopping it.

I am not trying to sound negative here, I am only being honest, and nothing is being sugar coated.
Well...poop.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
Mikey Triangles
IMO they should let more large constrictors go in florida to take care of the feral cat problem. haha

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!