baby softshell not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
zorak1
baby softshell not eating

Found a baby softshell in my pool and am
keeping it in a (very clean) circular shallow
goldfish bowl (2.5 gallons I'm guessing).
Turtle is barely the size of a half dollar piece.

Bought it several ghost shrimp, and dropped in
some ReptoMin baby turtle sticks, and I even broke
them up a bit sometimes despite their small size.
Just doesn't seem to est anything, despite being
relatively active. What does anyone recommend?
Feeder guppies? (Hard to find here in Boca; anyone
know where to get those here?)
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Tortugas
Maybe can make him feel more secure by letting him hide in some soft sand. It may be stressed out. The pool water may have affected him a bit as well.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
dieselfan
Or you could let it go.. That set-up will kill that baby turtle in a couple weeks... Soft shells are pretty cheap. If you want one, study up on the tank size and filtration requirements and go buy one..

Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
allesuberschildkroten
If you get it in a proper tank set up it will be just fine. It is probably stressed out. I would suggest trying to feed it frozen blood worms (thawed of course). Just give it a couple weeks and it will start eating

Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
zorak1
He started eating after about a week and is eagerly consuming as much baby ReptoMin as I give him(or is it a her?)
So doing well now.
Thanks for the advice.

By the way how do I tell its gender at this age?

Old 11-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
allesuberschildkroten
You cant!! They have to be older. Here is a link to help http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Art...softshells.htm Also Im going to suggest you look at this care guide, http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Car..._softshell.htm Once you start reading the requirements for enclosure you may not want to keep it. Direct quote from care guide "Recommended size for a single adult Apalone spinifera would be a 75 gallon aquarium as a minimum (90 or larger preferred) for a male. We don’t recommended large females be kept in conventional aquariums. They are too large & active and require extreme amounts of space. Stock tanks are an option, with a minimum requirement of 400 gallons (600 gallon or larger preferred). This will provide adequate swimming space & assist the filtration in maintaining good water quality. For additional males, we recommend adding a minimum 75 gallons of tank space per additional turtle. For females, add no less than 100 gallons of space per turtle.

With these space recommendations you may consider a swimming pool. Be sure you get one with great structural stability."

Just stuff to think about for the future

Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
downup
Maybe sand substrate can make him feel safe.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!