Tank too big for Dragon? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Mistic811
Question Tank too big for Dragon?

I got a 75 gallon tank for my new dragon I'm going to get in 2 weeks. He will be young about 7in. I'm worried now because the local pet shop guy just told me that large amount of space will overwhelm/stress and kill the dragon. As far as I've researched the bigger the better and best to go as large as you can so you don't have to change their habitat any more than nessasary.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
angie.h
A large tank won't kill him, and won't necessarily overwhelm him. Just keep the cage decor to a minimum....one nice big basking log will be fine until he grows a bit. Once he's bigger you can add more cage furniture. Keeping it simple will allow him to see his food easily for one. You can keep a small shallow food bowl close to his basking log or just drop insects close to him a few at a time. Once he gets used to a feeding routine it should be no problem. Baby dragons do best when fed live food twice a day as much as they'll eat, but the prey items MUST be very small, no longer than the space between their eyes.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
Mistic811
That's pretty much my plan. I will move the food dish and water bowl closer to the wood log I had not thought of that. Is the 12/12 day night limit a absolute must. It would work better for me with my work schedule to go a bit longer on the daytime. Although I do have a way to make it work if need be. Do they need time to digest before lights out?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
angie.h
It's actually better to have around 13-14 hours of light rather than 12-12. And yes, they need at LEAST 2 hours in the heat, preferably longer to digest a meal before the lights go out. I used to feed mine about 45-60 minutes after the lights came on in the a.m and the second meal around 4:00 p.m. Sometimes there was a third insect meal as well, and they would eat finely shredded pieces of greens as well. For hydration you really don't need a water bowl [ they rarely drink from one ] but I sprayed my babies with a gentle direct stream from a spray bottle. You don't soak the tank, just spray very gently on the snout. Mop up any excess water.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Mistic811
That will work well for me. I can have lights come on at 7 feed at 745-8 and then feed again at 5 lights out at 8 or 9. I saw where there was a suggestion to spray the salad down with water too. Helps them get extra and keeps it from drying out too fast during the day...what do you think?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
angie.h
Spraying the salad is fine, but I should add that many babies won't eat much salad. I get my hatchlings to eat it early in life by dropping pieces of it near them before or during the feeding of insects. The hatchlings are attracted by the movement of the greens dropping and usually they jump on and eat some.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Mistic811
I will have to try that trick. Thank you for your help. I'm excited to get my little friend!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!