Cleaning Gecko Enclosure with Disinfectant Wipes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Buki
Cleaning Gecko Enclosure with Disinfectant Wipes

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to clean my Leopard Gecko tank with disinfectant wipes (such as Clorox wipes or Lysol Wipes)??

Please let me know as soon as possibel as I will be cleaning their tank in 2 days!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
angie.h
I definitely would not. The fumes can linger and possibly do more damage to a small animal in an enclosed space than you may think. Plain old hot soapy water and a bit of red wine vinegar [ much better at killing germs than white vinegar or bleach ] will keep things clean + disinfected. Just rinse well afterwards.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Buki
The ones I got dont have a scent actually and I would definitely clean the residue with water afterward.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I trust vinegar - at least it's meant to be food. Bleach really isn't. Why take the risk?

(Didn't know about red wine vinegar being better than white though - I'll have to try that, thanks Angelina!)

Old 03-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
angie.h
You're welcome Helen.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Buki
Will the vinegar kill salmonella and other bacteria?

Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
Helenthereef
I don't think it's been tested... but there is a lot about it on line, just search "Vinegar as a disinfectant". I found this (amongst many others):
http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/ho...l-disinfectant

I've been using it as the only disinfectant in snake tanks for the past 10 years and never had a problem. I use boiling water to clean water bowls.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
angie.h
Here's one of the articles that mentions red wine vinegar. It's in point #4.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KERI6EkLSycySQ

Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
cornchips
Just remember geckos like to taste everything.I wouldnt trust the antibacterial wipes unless you wipe everything down with water afterward.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #10
elena
I also use vinegar for cage cleaning. Didn't know that the red wine vinegar is better though, have been using white.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!