How much newspaper do you use - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
tstrenuous10
What about low humidity levels? I'm trying to keep it around 50-60% but have had problems on my warm side. It will get down to 20% if I dont spray, which would get the newspaper wet.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
Chris Steele
Undercounter appliances?

I went to U-Line.com and it turns out they are an undercounter appliance company??

Old 11-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
tstrenuous10
Well I have been sitting at 89% all day and temps couldn't be any better. I would never have believed it works this well.

Is 89% ok for my snake for a while? until it drops to 60s

Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
LadyOhh
It's uline.com... I looked it up as well

Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Scott Nellis
Talking oops...

Sorry about the U-line mixup. Yeah...Uline.com.

Couple of options on the humidity thing. You could place a water bowl fully or partially over the heat pad which would evaporate and increase the humidity, or you could put in a humid hide box. Personally, if I had trouble keeping the humidity up, I'd put in a humid hide box in addition to a regular hide box. Easy to make....just get a covered plastic shoe box, Cool Whip container with lid, or something similar of appropriate size, cut a hole in the lid, and put some damp spagnum moss inside (the long stem stuff, not the ground up garden additive stuff). Some people also use damp cypress mulch. Either one works well.

Yeah, you don't want to be misting newspaper. That just encourages mold growth.

Scott Nellis

Old 11-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
tstrenuous10
What about HIGH humidity levels? yesterday it was stuck at 85% but I did some things and its closer to 60% now. I was just wondering what harm i could do to my snake with such high humidiy levels.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #17
Chris Steele
I think it would increase the risk of RI to have inappropriate humidity levels. Personally what I do first off to try to regulate humidity is to move the water dish around in respect to the source of heat as Scott said. To lower humidity, I don't really know, but you might try a heat lamp as opposed to UTH, instead of making water condense like a UTH sometimes will it would dry out the air I think. Maybe a dehumidifier, but that would probably be too extreme. I don't really know.

My cornsnakes are in a room that stays at approx 50-60%, but I'm sure it is slightly less in the cage due to heating. Does that sound right for a corn?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
Scott Nellis
Talking to lower humidity....

make sure the water bowl is off of the heat pad...as far away from the heat pad as possible. Other things to try are a smaller water bowl or a covered water bowl with a hole in the top just big enough for your snake to stick it's head in for drink. Also, a more open cage (i.e. screen top or more, bigger vents) will allow the humidity level to decrease.

Higher (or lower) humidity levels for a day or so will not harm your snake. It takes more than day or two of improper humidity levels to affect them (think of the humidity spikes in nature when it rains). Yes, prolonged improper humidity levels might cause a RI...but it would have to be on the order of a few weeks time. Too low a level will cause difficult and/or incomplete sheds.

I'm not certain of the recomended humidity levels for corn snakes, but since they are naturally found in the Eastern and Southeastern U.S., my guess is that they like it slightly higher. 50-60% sounds ok, but I'd check out several caresheets to get a good range estimate.

Scott Nellis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!