Greeting From Lake Orion Michigan - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
JohnWieczerza
Greeting From Lake Orion Michigan

Hello, my name is John Wieczerza and I am working with the following species in Lake Orion Michigan.

Boa Constrictors
Green Tree Pythons
Leopard Geckos
Nile Monitors
Savannah Monitors
Diamondback Terrapins
Madagascar Hissers
Dubia Roaches
Superworms

I am fascinated by pit vipers and cobras, and am extremely partial to the powder blue tree vipers.

I do not own any venomous, never have, but am hoping to learn more so I can possibly work toward getting comfortable enough to keep them.

I also specialize in organic horticulture and plant nutrition.

This will be my first year digging an outdoor pond for KOI, to incorporate into Aquaponics for the veggie garden.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you hang around for a while. I have some questions for you. Hopefully, you do not mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWieczerza View Post
Green Tree Pythons
That is pretty much my favorite species of snake. I have never acquired one for my collection. But, I REALLY and I do mean REALLY, want to acquire one. Can I ask did you breed your specimen or did you acquire it from a breeder/broker/store? If, you got it from a breeder/broker/store, whats the name of the breeder/broker/store? Are you satisfied with the source the Morelia viridi came from?

Quote:
Diamondback Terrapins
I too have Diamondback Terrapins. What species do you have? Mine are Malaclemys terrapin terrapin. I got mine from a breeder that I would NOT recommend. But, that is more for personal reasons. Can I ask who you acquired your DBT's from?

Quote:
I am fascinated by pit vipers and cobras, and am extremely partial to the powder blue tree vipers.
I love elapids as well. I would love a pink Bothriechis schlegelii one day in the future.

Quote:
I do not own any venomous, never have, but am hoping to learn more so I can possibly work toward getting comfortable enough to keep them.
and .

Quote:
I also specialize in organic horticulture and plant nutrition.
I am very envious of anyone who can perform horticulture. I have a "black thumb".

Quote:
This will be my first year digging an outdoor pond for KOI, to incorporate into Aquaponics for the veggie garden.
I would love to see your Koi pond once it is finished. Plus, your Morelia viridi and your DBT's most of all. But, any/all of your collection would make me !

Thanks again for joining!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #3
JohnWieczerza
Unless you are really trustworthy of your importer, buy from a trusted chondro breeder in the US. Daytona NRBC is a great place to find CBB good genetics. And by good genetics I mean not only color but vigor. Chondros are notorious for getting respiratory infections when the temps swing and the humidity crashes. It happens. But some genetics are more resilient to infection and have stronger immune systems and better muscle tone. Those are the genetics you want to keep and breed. 3rd generation CBB chondros are worth the price in the long run. It is a Chondro, treat it like a valuable investment! Make sure your cage is setup and the thermostats and humidity gauges are working and cycling before bringing one home. That's most people's biggest mistake. If you have to order online or need to save $$ and get an import I recommend Underground Reptiles. They have ads on here. They get farm raised imports that are usually around $200-$300 and are great for starter snakes to learn their routine/environment/behavior etc.

The terrapins I got super lucky with. My buddy's dad owns a pet store and they had someone drop off a bunch for $20 each. I think they are notherns, very nice nonetheless. The best ones are in Asia He hooked me up at price and they are the most personable turtle species I have worked with. Super friendly curious fearless terps!

The plants are a handle! I had to take classes. It's a lot to learn. I can give basic tips and suggestions though. Always like to help people grow their own produce. Organic dry fertilizers are the way to go for flavor. That bottles stuff is literally lab made chemicals and water. I love seabird guanos. Very good and cheap to use, not mined out of caves like bat guano. Sourced from beaches. I like coco fiber for the same reason. Not mined, sources from beach scraps.

Anything I can answer I will be happy to do my best!
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Insomniac101
Howdy Neighbor, and Welcome! I'm in Auburn Hills - nice to see a local on the forum!

Kathy

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Unless you are really trustworthy of your importer, buy from a trusted chondro breeder in the US. Daytona NRBC is a great place to find CBB good genetics.
Thanks so much for that information. I was hoping to purchase a C.B.B. animal. Not a W.C. or farmed animal.

Quote:
And by good genetics I mean not only color but vigor.
It's kind of funny/ironic you mention the color part. Since, all my animals are wild type/natural coloration. Do not get me wrong, I do love a pretty animal. I just prefer the animals that are pretty via mother nature. I am not sure if that actually makes sense. If you want, I will gladly rephrase.

Quote:
Chondros are notorious for getting respiratory infections when the temps swing and the humidity crashes. It happens.
That is pretty much what I had heard/read. This is also what makes me NOT want one. I do not handle death well, plus, I am scared of killing my specimen on accident.

I would also love a Morelia spilota . Do you think a C.B.B. one is a hardier captive? Well, a significantly hardier captive?

Quote:
But some genetics are more resilient to infection and have stronger immune systems and better muscle tone.
Are you aware of any breeders with the above genetics other then the one you mentioned?

Quote:
Those are the genetics you want to keep and breed. 3rd generation CBB chondros are worth the price in the long run.
I completely agree. Since, well, any animal that lives and eats well, makes me very very happy!!

Quote:
It is a Chondro, treat it like a valuable investment!
I completely, absolutely, and wholeheartedly agree!!

Quote:
Make sure your cage is setup and the thermostats and humidity gauges are working and cycling before bringing one home.
Thats a fantastic point.

Quote:
That's most people's biggest mistake.
I have unfortunately made that mistake with other species. I did NOT want to make it with my Chrondo.

Quote:
If you have to order online or need to save $$ and get an import I recommend Underground Reptiles.
I would much rather save more money and get a C.B.B. specimen.

Quote:
They have ads on here.
That is for sure!!

Quote:
They get farm raised imports that are usually around $200-$300 and are great for starter snakes to learn their routine/environment/behavior etc.
That is very interesting. If I did go that route, how likely is it the specimen would survive? In the long term, I mean.

Quote:
The terrapins I got super lucky with. My buddy's dad owns a pet store and they had someone drop off a bunch for $20 each.
Wow, that is indeed lucky. If they ever have anymore, please let me know. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Quote:
I think they are notherns, very nice nonetheless.
Mine are just northerns as well. I agree they are very nice nonetheless. If you want to see mine, this is the thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=618036 .

Quote:
The best ones are in Asia
Please stay around this forum for for a very very very long time. Your rock!!

Quote:
He hooked me up at price and they are the most personable turtle species I have worked with. Super friendly curious fearless terps!
I agree they are extremely personable and fearless. What do you feed yours? What size did you acquire your specimens at? How long have you had yours?

Quote:
The plants are a handle! I had to take classes. It's a lot to learn. I can give basic tips and suggestions though. Always like to help people grow their own produce. Organic dry fertilizers are the way to go for flavor. That bottles stuff is literally lab made chemicals and water. I love seabird guanos. Very good and cheap to use, not mined out of caves like bat guano. Sourced from beaches. I like coco fiber for the same reason. Not mined, sources from beach scraps.
I see regarding the plants. I have never put in the time to learn about them. Let alone take classes. Your very dedicated. Which, in my humble opinion is amazing.

Quote:
Anything I can answer I will be happy to do my best!
I am glad you do not mind questions. Since, I left you many more questions.

My last question, for the night is: do you know anyone or do you have any experience with Dracaena guianensis? That is my other dream reptile. Well, realistic, dream reptile!

Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
JohnWieczerza
Hello Kathy! Have any pure diamonds or jungle diamond crosses? I used to do carpets. Didn't have very good luck at all to be honest. Spent a lot of money trying to produce jags and finally gave up and sold what was left. Had a big striped coastal cross escape and damn near destroyed the house climbing all over everything while I was gone. Looked like a burglar trashed the place lol. They are a handful.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
JohnWieczerza
I'll keep an eye out for CBB locals under $300. Probably going to be BIAK TYPE, as they are the most common in my opinion. Farm raised are still good. Just best to buy them at shows when you can examine the animal first hand. Carpet pythons are more resilient to stress and environmental changes than chondros I think. They still get URIs but I think because they live in lower parts of Australia they have a better cold tolerance. Terrapin Season will be here real soon. I started my baby on Tetra Repto Min Floating turtle sticks but once she started eating superworms, earthworms, roaches, and fresh fish, she doesn't want them anymore. I don't blame her. The superworms are great for building muscle mass. (zophobas morio) Give your terrapins sunlight as much as possible. On their shells. Even window sunlight has a benefit. I have been using light bulbs to grow indoors since 1996 and nothing beats the real spectrum from a star. Synthetic light is synthetic light. Yes it can have isolated spectrums, and spectrum boosts in different wavelengths, but nothing works better than nature's recipe. Because it changes throughout the day. More blue is produced during the morning, more red at night. These boosts in different light wavelengths not only provide "light nutrition", but also regulate instincts involving appetite, energy level, and routine behavior.... As for the caiman lizards, they are great animals. Docile and intelligent. But they eat SNAILS. So most people are sourcing food from Asian markets to feed them. If you can get a connection to a local asian or fish market, and can source bags of frozen snail meat, I would defiantly recommend raising a baby. I have not tried because of the diet, but everyone I know who has had the chance to play with them loves them and their personality.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Insomniac101
Quote:
Hello Kathy! Have any pure diamonds or jungle diamond crosses? Had a big striped coastal cross escape and damn near destroyed the house climbing all over everything while I was gone. Looked like a burglar trashed the place lol. They are a handful.
Lol, been there! I have a few pure diamonds, and several other carpets, mostly jungles. I really like carpets, although some can be feisty.

Kathy

Old 05-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for CBB locals under $300.
Thanks so much. I really and truly appreciate that.

Quote:
Probably going to be BIAK TYPE, as they are the most common in my opinion.
I agree. I also like that some of them maintain the yellow coloration into adulthood.

Quote:
Farm raised are still good.
I am okay with farm raised animals. But, I will not buy W.C. anything.

Quote:
Just best to buy them at shows when you can examine the animal first hand.
That's definitely a good point. You make a lot gf those!

Quote:
Carpet pythons are more resilient to stress and environmental changes than chondros I think. They still get URIs but I think because they live in lower parts of Australia they have a better cold tolerance.
Thanks for all that pertinent information.

Quote:
Terrapin Season will be here real soon.
Lucky you. Can you keep an eye out for some Concentric's and some Ornate's for me? Pretty please, with sugar on top!

Quote:
I started my baby on Tetra Repto Min Floating turtle sticks but once she started eating superworms, earthworms, roaches, and fresh fish, she doesn't want them anymore.
I see. That is a VERY varied diet you are feeding your specimen. When did you introduce her to each food items? How often do you rotate the food items? What do you feed on a daily basis?

Quote:
I don't blame her.
Me either LOL. Your going to end up spoiling my two.

Quote:
The superworms are great for building muscle mass. (zophobas morio)
Thanks for that information. How many and how often do you give the Zophobas morio ?

Quote:
Give your terrapins sunlight as much as possible. On their shells. Even window sunlight has a benefit.
I see. Thank you, again, for that information. I can definitely do that.

Quote:
I have been using light bulbs to grow indoors since 1996 and nothing beats the real spectrum from a star.
I completely and absolutely agree with you.

Quote:
Synthetic light is synthetic light.
As usual, you bring up another fantastic point.

Quote:
Yes it can have isolated spectrums, and spectrum boosts in different wavelengths, but nothing works better than nature's recipe. Because it changes throughout the day. More blue is produced during the morning, more red at night. These boosts in different light wavelengths not only provide "light nutrition",
I agree! You are "spot on" about the natural light and how it effects Terrapins and reptiles in general.

Quote:
but also regulate instincts involving appetite, energy level, and routine behavior....
Mine seem to be constantly starving/hungry. Plus, truthfully, they seem to have have a more mammalian energy level then reptilian energy level LOL. But, seriously, yes, I understand and completely agree with you about the importance of natural light.

Quote:
As for the caiman lizards, they are great animals.
I have only seen one specimen alive and in person. I thought he/she was a truly magnificent creature!!

Quote:
Docile and intelligent.
I have heard mixed reviews on the docile part. The one I saw seemed docile/calm. I have heard they are intelligent. I have seen various Youtube clips with this species being target trained.

Quote:
But they eat SNAILS.
I am aware.

Quote:
So most people are sourcing food from Asian markets to feed them.
I was going to use this: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-can-o-...w&gclsrc=aw.ds. Like as the primary food source. Do you feel that is acceptable?

Quote:
If you can get a connection to a local asian or fish market, and can source bags of frozen snail meat, I would defiantly recommend raising a baby.
I am fairly sure I can source snail meat from either an Asian market or a fish market. Does it matter what species of snail meat I am using? How much should they eat daily? The one I saw was almost three feet long. What size baby do you recommend someone purchase?

Quote:
I have not tried because of the diet, but everyone I know who has had the chance to play with them loves them and their personality.
Any chance some of them are on the forum? Seriously, thank you, for that information. I am pretty sure that I will be looking into a Dracaena guianensis of my own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!